anyone has the experiences of being an au pair?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking anyone has the experiences of being an au pair?

I want to be an au pair and go to Germany..but now i totally has no idea how should i start.....any suggestions?

Registered Childminder since
    feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea about Germany....but I was an au pair in the US many many years ago...eeek!! (16 years to be precise!)
    I had an amazing time. I went via and agency which I think is a good way to do it as I think you have a little bit of protection I guess

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been an au pair but have used them - I would suggest for your safety you go through and agency - you need to understand that aupairs cannot be left alone with babies (under 1 I think) you have to be prepared to do housework as well as looking after the children. You are not paid a wage - you are given free accommodation and pocket money in exchange for 25hrs of work (childcare & housework) per week plus two evenings of babysitting - You should aI think 3 nights babysitting and for that you get extra pocket money - You need to find out from your prospective family exactly what they expect you to do before you go I used to have a written time table that I would send to the agency - if you go through an agency and you have difficulties with the a family they will mediate for you and will try to re-locate you if things don't work out - having said that you do have to pay to join the agency but look at the fee as an insurance policy.
    Celest

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was an au pair in Denmark many many years ago. It was for the lady who had been an au pair for my college tutor.

I had a great time for the 2 years I was out there. Like others have said you do housework and babysitting and exchange you get food and accommodation I was also was given an amount of money a month.
    I soon met other au pairs and had a great social life(many a Sunday morning coming home a 6am) and the family took me on several holidays including Italy. They paid for me to come home once a year.

I am not sure about how you would go about it now but I would recommend it 100%. Having the right family that does not take advantage makes a big difference.
    Pixie Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linzi133 View Post
    No idea about Germany....but I was an au pair in the US many many years ago...eeek!! (16 years to be precise!)
    I had an amazing time. I went via and agency which I think is a good way to do it as I think you have a little bit of protection I guess
    Thank u for ur suggestion and i think maybe via an agency could be a better idea..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    I've never been an au pair but have used them - I would suggest for your safety you go through and agency - you need to understand that aupairs cannot be left alone with babies (under 1 I think) you have to be prepared to do housework as well as looking after the children. You are not paid a wage - you are given free accommodation and pocket money in exchange for 25hrs of work (childcare & housework) per week plus two evenings of babysitting - You should aI think 3 nights babysitting and for that you get extra pocket money - You need to find out from your prospective family exactly what they expect you to do before you go I used to have a written time table that I would send to the agency - if you go through an agency and you have difficulties with the a family they will mediate for you and will try to re-locate you if things don't work out - having said that you do have to pay to join the agency but look at the fee as an insurance policy.
    yeah...totally agree with u, and i am looking for an agncy now! Thanks for the introduction and it really helpful,best regards!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I was an au pair in Denmark many many years ago. It was for the lady who had been an au pair for my college tutor.

I had a great time for the 2 years I was out there. Like others have said you do housework and babysitting and exchange you get food and accommodation I was also was given an amount of money a month.
    I soon met other au pairs and had a great social life(many a Sunday morning coming home a 6am) and the family took me on several holidays including Italy. They paid for me to come home once a year.

I am not sure about how you would go about it now but I would recommend it 100%. Having the right family that does not take advantage makes a big difference.
    i hope someday i could be that lucky join in a nice host family as u... thanks for sharing and appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

i checked google and found an au pair website they have some useful information for me and i am gona follow this website....thank u all!!

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Joining an agency is difinetly the safer way. Saying that though, I came to the UK as an au pair and I worlked for a family I found through au pair world online. II looked after a six months old and a 3 year old from Sunday night to Friday night while the parents worked away. Many parents have different expectations to the 'reccomendations' re hours/pay/otherduties so I would difinetly check with prospective families. Can you speak German at all? (Sorry just nosy, I'm German and wondering why yo are keen to go over there?)