When was the last time you had a good food cupboard blitz?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face When was the last time you had a good food cupboard blitz?

after yesterdays 'will i die' thread i cleared out my pantry today, My OH did it (aparently) about 6 months ago but today i have found stuff dated 2008.

....and then i cleared out the medicine tins medicines dated1999

.....im so ashamed
    What a crock!!!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a supermarket, it was once my job to date check . Hated doing it, but since being a CM I do it every six months or so. I also write on a paper anything that is going out in the next six months so each month I just have to go through and find the named items and bin them. I have found that by having the 'going out of soon' list, I am more proactive about using some of those things up, so really don't tend to throw much out. Tends to mostly be odd spices I have purchased for a specific recipe and food colourings, but I always keep those for playdough.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked through my first aid box the other day after a thread on here - all ok at the moment, but some of my bandages will be out of date next year

I sometimes look at dates in the 90s and think it was not that long ago - then I remember I am 40 and in the 90s I was in my 20s!!
    Grindal

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

3 weeks ago i had a blitz
    One life live it

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I try and go through every 6 months or so - I put anything coming near the date out of the cupboard and try and do something with it ASAP

Just deciding when to sort the freezer - hate that job!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I check once a month, as per my Risk Assessment and it when I do my big monthly shop.

I must confess it was a shock when we cleared our old kitchen. We had a huge deep larder cupboard that eveything used to get pushed to the back of.

I found some chutney my mum had made bless her, she passed away in Oct 1994 We did use it though We're all here to tell the tale!

Now I have a shallow cupboard and a modern larder cupboard where half the shelves pull out and are attached to the door so its easier to keep tabs on things.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine once a month, before the big shop while i'm writing my list.

But then I only have a double cupboard. And because of Slimming I do menu's for the month so only buy food for what I'm cooking. And base menu on whats left in the cupboard before adding to shopping list.

xx
    Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mine a few months ago and found loads out of date from years ago so you're not the only one. If it was dried herbs i'd keep them but i found things like flour

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

So long ago I can't remember when It's a good job that I get parents to provide food for their children.
    I did clear one of our cupboards last week where we keep medicines and found one paracetamol in a box dated 2010, it was right behind cake tins etc and went straight in the bin. Hx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I check once a month, as per my Risk Assessment and it when I do my big monthly shop.

I must confess it was a shock when we cleared our old kitchen. We had a huge deep larder cupboard that eveything used to get pushed to the back of.

I found some chutney my mum had made bless her, she passed away in Oct 1994 We did use it though We're all here to tell the tale!

Now I have a shallow cupboard and a modern larder cupboard where half the shelves pull out and are attached to the door so its easier to keep tabs on things.
    a shallow cupboard helps - that's what I have now
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my mum has a tin of peas that she bought when she was living in botswana before i was born thats 40+ years ago!

but she is now keeping it as a 'display' item LOL!!!

i often wonder if in years to come you will be able to go to a museum and see 'shop' displays of food from today, as we're always being told to throw away out of date food !

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

usually do mine every few months and it's not too frightening. Before CM days it could of been years before I'd clear out and some things were so out of date it put me to shame