Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Advice needed please

Hi All.

I have just rooted through my boys book bags and found a letter (dated today), informing parents of a Norovirus-type virus which has effected so many children in the school this week, that the headmistress has has to inform the Health Protection Agency. In the reception classes alone there were only 12 children in total today, where there should be 53!

I have had children at the school for 7 years and have never experienced anything like this before.

My worry - and need for advice is what to do with my children. I have 3 DS's at the school and a 2 year old DD at home. I am not usually fussed by bugs and such like, (living on a farm, we are used to a 'bit of muck' and have a pretty high immune system!) I am concerned the reason the virus is spreading like 'wild fire' is down to poor cleanliness at school in such areas as the toilet especially if a child has been poorly in the toilets.

What would you do??

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now school have reported it they will get a visit from environmental health who will check hygiene etc and give advice.

They should also work with the staff to make sure hands washing is monitored etc.

I am not sure what you can do... what do you have in mind? x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we had this at DS old school before christmas ...

lots of handwashing, hand gel and keeping home children who were ill! the problem at our school was parents sending children who seemed a little off, or sending them back before they were well enough to fight the bugs.

oh and tissues!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies. I was concidering keeping the boys home for a few days, in the hope things would pass as quickly as they have arrived.

I have had the decision taken out of my hands by the looks of it. Middle DS is complaining of tummy ache and is an odd shade of grey. Poor little sausage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeams View Post

I have had the decision taken out of my hands by the looks of it. Middle DS is complaining of tummy ache and is an odd shade of grey. Poor little sausage.
    Oh no! Hope he is not too poorly.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

theres not alot you can do to prevent your children getting it from school, apart from teaching them to clean hands properly BUT if nobody else does that then door handles, etc will all be contaminated. Keeping kids of school will prob get you into trouble!
    In minding respect, it would be a good idea to give your mindees a copy of the school letter so that they are aware of the illness going around and also update your illness policy and let them know who can attend your setting with what infection etc
    HPA infection control in setting.pdf
    Lisa Burrows x x