Toddler groups specifically for childminders
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Business
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Toddler groups specifically for childminders

Hi, just wanted to pick peoples brains. I have recently set up Toddler Sense classes in Newcastle and North Tyneside and was thinking about running a class specifically for childminders/nannies to attend. I thought it might be a nice way for you all to network a bit whilst taking part in a high quality class that parents love as it really brings on the children developmentally.

Maybe this is something that is happening elsewhere already? Either way I'd love to know your views.

Many thanks,

Ruth

Registered Childminder since
    june 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i run a childminding group on a Monday at the local childrens centre and childminders, nannies and au pairs go to this and then my friend who is also a childminder runs one on a tuesday at the same childrens centre and again its open to childminders, nannies and au pairs, one sessions in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

We have a planning folder where childminders can take it in turns to plan a session or not and then we write in the folder who did the singing and clearing up so that its not the same people doing it each week.

We use the childrens centre resources but if we want to do a specific art/craft idea with the children then the childminder organising the craft will go out and source the materials and then the money is refunded out of a pot that we all pay into each week. Its 50p a child 1/2 goes on resources and 1/2 on health snack.

The children love it and the childminders all get on well and we are always helping each other out with various aspects of the job.
    hope this helps.

Non childminder member
    Business
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that sounds great! What a lovely group to be part of. As childminders would parents support you to attend classes where the costs are higher (we charge £5.50 per session) or do you find that you're given a more restricted amount for activities?

Registered Childminder since
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

None of my Parents would pay £5.50 a week for their child to attend, so if I went, I would have to take that out of my own money, which I would'nt be able to afford to do.
    Toothfairy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler Sense View Post
    Thanks, that sounds great! What a lovely group to be part of. As childminders would parents support you to attend classes where the costs are higher (we charge £5.50 per session) or do you find that you're given a more restricted amount for activities?
    I assume thats £5.50 per child? Most days I have 3, sometimes 4 children and I pay for toddler group fees myself (usually only £1 at the most for all the children). If it was £5.50 per child I wouldn't pay it - I'd be paying out more for that time than I was earning! Parents do pay extra if we go on special trips out, but none of the parents I have at the moment would want to pay out an extra £5.50 each week for their child to go to a session. They expect us to provide the activities within the daily fee we charge.

It may be different for nannies. You ask if we're given a more restricted amount for activities. That's not how childminders work. We charge a fee, usually inclusive of groups etc. Parents don't give us anything extra for activities.