Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Labrador Dogs - Do you have one?

Does anyone have a Lab about 12?

We have one his name is jack he has atheritus(sp) in his hips and is in pain so he usually has tablet from the vets he said that one day his time will come but we will know that was last christmas after hed had 2 fits but he said if he starts to drink alot bring him back and we will have a look as this spells trouble bless him but today he has been acting very odd

This morning he had his breakfast, went out, but he stares into space alot, came in but has been panting fast then his mouth would chatter like hes cold but hes not, and all day he has been following us and looking at us. doing this chattering thing

when hes doesn't like something he shakes/trembles like going in the car/hoovering and he has been doing this today too, my dd had him out for a walk but this hasn't calmed him down.

the only thing that is different about today is we bought him a new bed, but he hasn't slept all day, just followed us and quivered, i have just put a fleecy blanket in it incase he doesnt like it and hes lying down now.

Do you think he is trying to tell us something?

Has you dog ever done this? Do you know why?

I was going to call the vet out but hes calm now

any thoughts would be appreciated
    One life live it

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Jack, and you.

I had a 12 yr old lab girl, Charley.

She had had ops for mammary tumors a couple of years before but they returned and at her age i decided not to put her through more ops when they would prob come back anyway.

One day we had a great walk - running like a puppy the next morning she had been sick and could hardly get up - she gave me a look and I knew what had to be done - she said it in her eyes (I am welling up just thinking about her )

I had her for the day at home and we took her in to the vet that evening and had her put to sleep.

Only you, the vet and Jack can know when the time comes, he might just be a bit off colour like when we get flu!

Our old Patterdale who we had put to sleep last month had arthritis and had been on pain killers for a few years with no problems - she was 15 1/2 but had all sorts of other problems which took over

Sorry to go on with my sad tales - the best would be to see the vet for advice and go from there.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

bless i didnt want to upset anyone

we have been in tears today

he has these big bubbles on him but the vet said there harmless so were leaving them there

i have just been reading this on a lab website

The intensity of the seizures can vary, from mild twitches and a dazed look in the eyes to full convulsions. Managing epilepsy will require a close partnership with your veterinarian.

do you think it could be this?
    One life live it

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

hello, my 9 year old labs on pain relief due to artheritus, is it possible he may have a cold (sounds daft i know)

other thing worth looking at could it be the medication hes on?

xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    Poor Jack, and you.

I had a 12 yr old lab girl, Charley.

She had had ops for mammary tumors a couple of years before but they returned and at her age i decided not to put her through more ops when they would prob come back anyway.

One day we had a great walk - running like a puppy the next morning she had been sick and could hardly get up - she gave me a look and I knew what had to be done - she said it in her eyes (I am welling up just thinking about her )

I had her for the day at home and we took her in to the vet that evening and had her put to sleep.

Only you, the vet and Jack can know when the time comes, he might just be a bit off colour like when we get flu!

Our old Patterdale who we had put to sleep last month had arthritis and had been on pain killers for a few years with no problems - she was 15 1/2 but had all sorts of other problems which took over

Sorry to go on with my sad tales - the best would be to see the vet for advice and go from there.
    Oh that made me cry

So sad

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

How is Jack today

Our lab Jess is 9 and she is getting old now

I get scared if she is ill

Keep us posted about Jack please

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope Jack is feeling better today.

I had a Golden Retriever (Long haired Lab) her name was Charlie.

Loved her to bits.

xx
    Needs to Zumba

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

hes snuggled up today

but if things change he is off to the vets for a check up
    One life live it

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope he's ok.

I've just taken on a 9 year old Black Lab for 6 months whilst my friend is in Afghanistan. I am petrified of something happening to him whilst she is gone as he's had to have all sorts of tests in the past.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Bless him , Poor Jack, our Boxer Sasha used to do the twitches/ shivers etc just before she had a fit, bless her. Keep us informed

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very similar to my friends old girl, not a lab, she was a flatcoat and had dementia, she used to stare into space and it took ages to get a reaction, she would start shaking for no reason, started refusing, food, wouldn't walk and then started getting a bit snappy when she came out of her dazes, so they decided the time was right, she was 14 though and had had a great life.

I hope he is feeling better today.

Jul 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor jack, my thoughts are with both you and him. I hope you get him sorted out.

I have a black lab who is only 21 months at the moment and I dread the day he starts to get old.

Keep us all updated.

Daria.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate that our dogs are getting old.

I have had my daughter in tears this morning. I went to toddler group and came back 1 1/2 later. Harvey (14 year old Retriever) had been barking to go out, but couldn't get up. Charlotte had trouble helping him get up as he is so heavy. He went outside, came back in, lay down and started barking again.

She is supposed to be revising for her AS levels, but hadn't managed to do any while I was out because of the dog barking.

He poos in the house now (doesn't even realised he's doing it) and my back is hurting from helping him up every time.

I hope Jack's ok. Let us know xx
    littletreasures xx

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Oh Bless him , Poor Jack, our Boxer Sasha used to do the twitches/ shivers etc just before she had a fit, bless her. Keep us informed
    we have a boxer too, hes just inherited jacks old bed and wont get out of it to go pee !!!!!
    One life live it

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littletreasures View Post
    I hate that our dogs are getting old.

I have had my daughter in tears this morning. I went to toddler group and came back 1 1/2 later. Harvey (14 year old Retriever) had been barking to go out, but couldn't get up. Charlotte had trouble helping him get up as he is so heavy. He went outside, came back in, lay down and started barking again.

She is supposed to be revising for her AS levels, but hadn't managed to do any while I was out because of the dog barking.

He poos in the house now (doesn't even realised he's doing it) and my back is hurting from helping him up every time.

I hope Jack's ok. Let us know xx
    jack poops without knowing even more since we changed his food

big hugs harvey
    One life live it