Thread: Myrena Coil

Registered Childminder since
    ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Myrena Coil

hi ladies

after a recent trip to my gynea i have been advised to have a myrena coil fitted, it was that or a hysterectomy so iv agreed to trial the coil for 6 months & see how things pan out.

Anyone had one?
    Will i gain weight? i had issues with the mini pill (gained 2 stone in 6 weeks)
    does it hurt?

im a bit paranoid as im going on a diving holiday in egypt 6 weeks later, doctor said i should be settled by then....i dont want the 'should' to ruin my holiday!

any advice greatfully received xxx
    What a crock!!!

jumpinjen Guest

Default Re: Myrena Coil

My GP heavily pushed the myrena and I said no, had to be very firm in the end, told them that i didn't want anything with hormones..... myrena isn't the only option, just the one the reccomend to most as they get bonus for fitting them.... ask for a second opinion (entitled to) and ask what else is available, if you aren't happy then don't have it.

I had a copper coil as I've had health issues with hormonal contraceptives in the past, and it was a wee bit uncomfy to place but nothing a gin and tonic didn't sort out that evening ( ) and it was great, really reliable, and i was doing all normal things again the next day, periods a little heavier than before on it but nothing torrential!

Hugs, Jen x

LOOPYLISA Guest

I will watch this thread with interest, i came off femodene pill due to headaches and the doc put me on cerazette, its only been 3 months ish and im finding it 'ok'

Looking into another form of contraception not pill... don't quite want hubs having the 'snip' yet

The doc mentioned the coil but im not too sure......

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the reasons im having it was because i suffer with long, heavy unpredictable periods & the hospital said it 'should' stop them

every sentence my gynea said he emphasised the 'should'
    What a crock!!!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had one of these for about 3 years Absolutely fab and suits me perfectly. Even better I have no periods at all

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing I ever did was having this fitted (my other option too was a hysterectomy )...it seems to be the only contreceptive that works for me (I say touching wood - don't want to tempt fate - well actually i do - but that's another thread)! I suffered for v. heavy never ending periods - that no end of pills sorted - this did! so wish I had taken advice & had it sooner

...The should is because your body can dipell it in the first 4 weeks (you wouldn't even know about it) - so condoms are recommended until you are checked 4 weeks after fitting to check that it has "taken"...then that's you all sorted for 5 years!
    Last edited by Blaze; 11-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Blaze x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one fitted due to really heavy periods don't won't to panic anyone but it actually came out while having heavy period. After hospital trips I ended up having hysterectomy by this stage. to be honest it was the best thing I could have done as I felt so much better after. The operation isn't nice as was off work for a while.
    Pixie Dust

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I have had one of these for about 3 years Absolutely fab and suits me perfectly. Even better I have no periods at all
    Same here
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have it at the moment, the pain was really bad when they put it in, felt like giving birth (last stages) but happened within a second of him putting it in place, I was mid cycle and didnt get a chose to wait until i had another period (apparently if you have just finsihed then ite easier and more comfortable to put in) i had it put in at hopsital, at the time i was on warfin too so it had to be hospital job incase it went wrong, it took a few days to get better but it did settle and now i dont really have any periods, might have a day here or there, carnt lose weight on it though but didnt put any on either, i am dreading it coming out and prob get hubby the snip instead but overall am impressed with it,

xxx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had and its been the best option for us. I had to have a good form of contraception because I suffer with blood clots linked to pregnancy (different story that I still get them).

Must admit I didnt like the idea but I wait no issues with them putting it in they did recommend being on a period but dd2 was only 6 weeks and was my 4th child so he said it would be no problem and it wasnt.

Had it now for 2 and 1/2 years and well its been brill no monthly bleeds just odd days here and there.

I recommend it to anyone
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly wss except I've had mine 4 years and love it! It is hormonal but it's a small concentrated hormone so doesn't effect me the same way the pill does. I was total psycho cow on the pill

I took a couple of nurofen before having mine put in and I didn't feel a thing. I had some mild cramping that afternoon but nothing compared to the period pain I used to get (and better than labour pains lol!!)

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same here. I do remember though the first month or 2 bleeding all the time and in a bit of pain for the first 2 weeks and going to A&E to get it checked out. I love having no periods though but I've noticed after a year that its starting to fade a bit and I now know when I should be having one
    Paula

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I resisted and resisted for years and finally agreed to try it after suffering so long - it really was a last ditch attempt to sort out my periods or else it would be a hysterectomy. Had to have it fitted under general anaesthetic cos I have a lot of problems - but I do not regret it. Bled afterwards for a couple of months but now I have the very occasional day of extremely light bleeding - compared to being crippled in pain, so heavy not able to leave the bathroom, sickness, dizziness etc etc.

Its not for everyone and yes, they do seem to push it cos they get bonuses or something for fitting them BUT thats not to say that it isnt right for some people - and lucky me was one of them!

Post Thanks / Like

I had one...didnt suit me at all..got rushed to hospital as collapsed with pain after having it in for a week, couldnt walk...I then developed cysts on my ovaries,(still suffer with them from time to time) which I have since been told is a very rare side effect/complication....I would NEVER have it again, but it works for lots of others as has already been said. x
    custardcream. x

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was exactly same with my Mirena coil. I loved it.
    Love Amanda

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

contraception is not an issue.....the MR has had the snip & to be fair cerazette mini-pill i have been on has well & truely killed any sex drive i had! (i tell you, that pill has a lot to answer for!)

iv got to have it fitted in hospital due to my exessive bleeding, got to have a camera thingy at the same time, i spose i could give it a few months, i have nothing to loose & if it helps my PMT, pain & bleeding then its a bonus.
    What a crock!!!

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck hon!

Of course - you will have to rest afterwards and eat lots of chocolate. Or maybe that was just me

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

no chance of either

my daughter has a hospital appointment after so have to be hanging around the hosp for a few hours & im on a diet!....and the MR is working away so got the school runs, dinner & everything else to do

....a womans work is never done lol
    What a crock!!!

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

i had it and had no problem for the first 9months. my periods stopped after 3-4months which is ok when you get use to it but always a bit worrying as well LOL

then after 9months i started to bleed none stop.... gave me meds to stop and every month my periods started they'd be there on average 18days!!!
    then i had sickening headache...which i think were more link to the bleeding than the actual coil.

i had it remove and got pregnant with my son 2months later

After i had the implant in the arm which was great the first9months then.....all the same!!!!!

for both of them my libido went out of window

my bosy doesn't mind hormone for a while but then want a baby LOL so bleed myself out.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've had mine for 3 years. Fitting was fine although I did wake that night with one almighty cramp like a labour pain lol

However I bled (very lightly) for the next 8 months before it settled. I remember returning for my check-up and bursting into tears - I was so fed up with it.

Things now are great and I have no periods. Still get grumpy once a month though

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast