What's a good dog to have with young children?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's a good dog to have with young children?

Quote Originally Posted by Tups View Post
    really depends on how you bring them up, children need to respect animals, sometimes dogs need to be left alone for some peace, people need training as much as an animal does,
    I quite agree.

We're going to fence off part of the garden for the dog to use when I'm minding and we've got an outside door from our utility room which the minded children cant get to because I've got a barrier across the kitchen. This means the dog can have some peace and quiet but still be able to go outside if he/she wants to.

I don't think we'll be getting one immediately though as we need to do the garden etc first.

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice - it's been really helpful.
    Cazz x

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's a good dog to have with young children?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    Thanks everyone - I like Labradors as well but do they need loads of exercise being a larger dog?

We're more than willing to give a dog 2 walks a day but just haven't got the time anymore to go walking for hours on end!
    We have a German Shepherd and we walk him twice a day but not for hours - probably half an hour at a time and then we try to get out at the weekend for a longer one. Luckily we have an area near by where he can go off lead and run around which helps to get rid of excess energy.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12