Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 11+

Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 11+

We went to see a really lovely school last night and my dd has now set her heart on it. She'll need to not only take the 11+ to get there but to do very very well indeed - the highest score possible is 420 and this year they offered places to girls with 407 and above..... Now my dd is bright as a button, luckily, but we think that if she really wants to go to this school some 11+ practice would be good. I don't think she needs a tutor, just practice to know what to expect. I've found some websites with practice papers and things like brain training on but does anybody have any advice on how best to prepare her? I don't have any intention of hothousing her or pushing her, just giving her the preparation so she doesn't panic when she takes the test.
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 11+

I've found various websites too as ds wants to go to the local grammer school. He has great general knowledge (better than me!) but he just isn't good at getting things down on paper. He only just gone into yr 5 so got a while yet but I'm just going to get him the practice papers and see whether his teacher thinks its worth putting him in for it as he would be devastated to fail. If his teacher thinks its worthwhile I may get a tutor of he is willing to do it but I'm not going to force it on him. Its hard to know whether to give them a nudge or to leave them to it x

~Chelle~ Guest

WHSmith do some practice books in there for the 11+, I think they are by Letts.
    My son had some from there but missed out on passing by about 32 points.

I think you are right not to get a tutor for her as I know of at least 4 people that did this and their child passed and now they are struggling big time in Grammar school.

Preparing your daughter for them is a great thing to do, then she will know what to expect on the day.

I would also recommend getting her to practice writing letters, as my son had to do this as part of his test. I think he had to write to a council and using persuasive writing, convince them not to close the local library.

I wish your daughter the best of luck x

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both - the more information and advice I can get the better equipped we are to help her.

I sat her down after school this afternoon () with an online test, just a 30 minute jobbie. It's her brother's birthday today so there was him and his friend running around shooting each other with Nerf Guns, bullets flying everywhere, little mindee shouting his head off with excitement whilst sitting in a huge cardboard box, and she got 27/30 with no help so we're confident that so long as she reads the questions and keeps a cool head she shouldn't have any major problems. It really is just the practice. Like you, Clio, she's year 5 so she's got plenty of time to prepare, so we can do it nice and gently . And I agree, Chelle - some people round here go to great lengths to get their children to pass and it's not necessarily the best thing for the children. Maybe if they need a nudge in one area, but not a great big shove in all the areas! But then who knows how I'd feel if my kids were different?
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD has already taken her 11+ (two Fridays in September). There must be lots of variation as they only need 221 to pass and MOST then get into the grammar schools - depending on catchement area etc.

We just bought test papers over the summer, my neice is a yr 6 teacher and she sat with her for a couple of hours going through them.

We get the restults on 15 October so fingers crossed for us as she also has her heart set on it - her sister is already there!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ds decided to try to get into a grammar and missed out by a few points.

He spent the 6 months before the exams working with me on practice papers.

But we were told by the deputy head at the school that most of the boys will have been going to Saturday morning revision / preparation classes for up to 3 years before the exams.

Plus the ones in feeder schools practice the exams as part of their curriculum too and will walk them.

He said he enjoyed the whole experience if only to find out that it wasn't for him as he wasn't prepared to give up his football practice to get to a school where he'd be constantly pushed.

Sensible boy

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that most kids going for a grammar school application will have either been to prep school or will be having a tutor.

Friends of ours gave their dd a tutor, she was defiantely the brightest kid at her primary school but the places were limited for the grammar school and she really wanted to go there.(only 1 grammar school in area)

May be worth some thought?

Hope she gets her dream.
    Come back David....

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is sitting the grammar school test this morning!

She had a tutor for one hour a week for the past year. The initial intention in geting a tutor was to boost her confidence. Subsequently the tutor suggested she sit the test. Her confidence has soared this past year and her teachers at school have noticed a marked difference in her. She has enjoyed the process and was keen to continue with her weekly session!!

Passing the test would be the icing on the cake for her, but to be honest the tutoring has achieved what we hoped it would, and we are more than happy with that.

I believe that having a tutor really helps with learning the different techniques required. If your child is competeing against kids from prep school, who probably have been doing practise questions for the past two years, then having a tutor helps to make it a more level playing field.

Hope my ramblings help!