Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Voyager or Kia Sedona

Hi I am trying to decide between a 2007 (ish) Grand Voyager or a brand new Kia Sedona. Any advice please as I am really struggling to make a decision....again!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grand Voyager or Kia Sedona

Well I can only tell you what advice was given to me:-

I was looking at buying a 2004 Kia Sedona as I think they look lovely but just about everyone told me to avoid them like the plague (including a few mechanics). Apparently the parts are really hard to get hold off (and expensive) and the after-sales service from Kia is terrible. Also, my brother's brother-in-law who has his own garage said that the engine design is awful. A fairly routine job (I think he said it was changing the cam-belt but can't really remember!) would take hours more - and therefore cost more in labour - because just about all the engine has to be stripped out before you can reach the part!

My best friend has a Grand Voyager and it's a really lovely car. She's not had any real problems with it but the parts are quite expensive I think.

Unfortunately a Grand Voyager was out of our price range so we've now bought a 2007 Ford Galaxy (recommended by the mechanic mentioned above!) and we're really happy with it.
    Cazz x

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Voyager because I couldn't quite stretch to the Grand Voyager and I absolutely love it. I've started a bit of a trend round here as other minders who are upgrading are going for them too! It is expensive to service and expensive if you need parts but I cannot fault them. Chrysler customer service has been superb in the 3 years we've had it.

Post Thanks / Like

Chrysler - we had one for 8 years and it didn't give us any trouble. I now have a vw touran but it is too small so will be looking at a chrylser again next year.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had both and I would recommend the Kia Sedona.
    We never had any problems with our Kia and I loved it. The only reason we changed was because I wanted to upgrade but couldnt find a Kia Sedona with the specs I wanted at the time, so opted for a GV.

I know have a GV and I hate it. I have had nothing but trouble with it from the start. They also have a problem with their mirrored blackout glass at the moment, there isnt any in the whole of the UK & America and I have been told it could be up to 12months before they get any. I am driving around with a piece of damaged glass from a wreckers yard (Put in as a temp messure) at the moment as Crysler cannot find any glass for my car!
    The only thing I like about the GV is the automatic sliding side doors.
    Last edited by Toothfairy; 05-10-2010 at 07:01 AM.
    Toothfairy

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Voyagers have very small seats. I can fit 6 baby seats or boosters in my Zafira but can't in my Dad's Voyager. I presume the Voyager and Grand Voyager are the same size.

The boot size is great but the actually sitting room is very poor.

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Grand Voyager is fantastic, big boot to accommodate double pushchair and the seats do allow for baby seats, a tight fit I admit but they all go in safely. I love the fact the seats can fold into the floor if extra room is needed, had a Galaxy before and although I did like it it was a pain having to physically remove the seats to gain extra space.
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Kia Sedona and love it. It has 7 full sized seats, a big boot and electric sliding doors which the kids think is magic.

Pipsqueak Guest

I've not driven a GV so can't comment but we have had a Kia now for 5yrs.

its been a fantastic car and we have certainy put some miles on the clock - up and down South (320 miles one way) to North - fully laden, its towed teh caravan round the country and france. Not had any problems with it, good amount of room in it, good boot space, comfy, easy to drive etc.

We love our Kia - the downsight of course as it is for everyone, fuel.

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Two childminder friends of mine had the Sedona, both their engines used to cut out for no apparent reason, despite being returned to dealer numerous times. One has since changed cars to a voyager and one is still battling the dealership as hers was brand new and still under warranty. Local dealership seems to be pants, even tried to tell her she must have put wrong fuel in it
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hello kitty View Post
    Grand Voyager is fantastic, big boot to accommodate double pushchair and the seats do allow for baby seats, a tight fit I admit but they all go in safely. I love the fact the seats can fold into the floor if extra room is needed, had a Galaxy before and although I did like it it was a pain having to physically remove the seats to gain extra space.
    You don't have to remove the seats in the newer Galaxy's, as they fold down which is handy. I had a VW Sharan before my Galaxy and hated having to remove the seats - well hubby did!!!
    Cazz x

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem fitting seats into my car and I have the Voyager not the Grand Voyager. I regularly have 6 children in there, especially in the holidays. I can also echo that the boot space is great. I've got my triple and a friend's double buggy in my boot with some bags too!

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good:-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Kia Sedona and I love it. I have also had a Chrysler Grand Voyager and to be honest they are exactly the same. The sedona is just a cheaper version. It looks exactly the same inside almost as tho its been copied. The sedona is cheaper to run too as its diesel.

Go for which one you can aford. I have had the sedona since october last year and touch wood nothing has gone wrong with it yet it has just passed its mot!

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a Kia sedona and were very happy with it. Replaced if for a peugeot 807 which I love even more!!
    Had a Grand Voyager in America as a hire car - seemed huge!!!! Have heard that the safety aspects of the voayager/Grand Voyager aren't particularly good? Maybe you could read some reviews online?

Regarding buying a new car - they lose value so quickly you might be better putting the money into a different make people carrier and getting say an 18 month old one? They often still come with the remainder of the warranty. Whatever you do make sure you get sliding doors - so much easier with car seats!! (807 even has electric sliding doors )

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a grand voyager and love it. Can fit 6 kids in it all in car seats and it has 7 proper belts too. Massive boot and very roomy.

apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

i can't really comment on the Kia..... but i had a chrysler and loved it.... I could fit a double buggy and a single buggy in the boot at the same time... it gave me the flexibility to choose if my 2 year old would walk or go in the buggy.... i had 3 booster seats with backs accross the rear row and 2x 9month+ forward facing car seats in the middle row.... i never had any problems with mine.... i only changed as i needed more seats and i now drive a 9 seater minibus.....

I honetly wouldn't buy a new vehicle as you will lose so much money in the first few years or driving it.... Buy a nearly new one and you could alway buy a warranty if you are concerned about mechanical problems.... I have one through the RAC. I can't remember how much it cost but it was discounted due to me having breakdown cover.... good luck

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I adore my Kia Sedona its perfect, my ex runs a garage and has to provide me with a car and I don't pay for service or repairs as part of the divorce and he was happy to get it for me which I'm sure he wouldn't have done if he thought it was going to cost him more!

I love the huge boot space and it fits my Phil & Teds and a lightweight or my Jane Powertwin. There is loads of leg room for the kids and mine has anchor points for the baby carseats which is fab!
    Paula

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=benharjac;793529 i only changed as i needed more seats and i now drive a 9 seater minibus.....

)[/QUOTE]

What kind of minibus do you have as this is what i'm thinking of getting. I'm looking at a 12 seat Ford TRansit minbus - plan to remove the rear 3 seats to create more boot space.

Is it expensive to run and insure?

dec 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lick'le Oakes View Post
    Hi I am trying to decide between a 2007 (ish) Grand Voyager or a brand new Kia Sedona. Any advice please as I am really struggling to make a decision....again!
    well I have always wanted a grand voyager but my husband works for the AA and he won't let me have one as in his words they are crap. He said when we change cars we will get the Kia sedona, hope that is of some help.

Karen

Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated.

Decisions Descisions......

We went for the Grand Voyager, we got a good deal so i'm hoping it's the right decision.

Pick it up Wednesday ...excited!!!1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast