visiting high schools
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default visiting high schools

oh we did our first last night! It felt like a walk of shame to start off with as it was my old high school!
    (i left school at 15 as my birthday is in aug and the following july i was a mother)

And to make me feel worse i never had the other half to hide behind as he was on a late shift, so dd and i did it together.

I was waiting for the dissapointment look off the teachers who taught me but only one remembered me (thank god) even remembered how pants i was at maths the teacher was chuffed (and a little confused) that my dd enjoys the subject and is very good at it. turns out we have girls the same age!

next one is on monday and feel so much better after seeing a wide age range of other parents.

can remenber taking lo on her first day of nursery and having 'the look' from all the other parents

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: visiting high schools

the open evenings are fine - but if you want to get a truer picture of the schools then phone up and organise a visit in the day whilst the pupils and teachers are there. It gives a completely different , and much more realistic perspective..

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do not know how I would have coped if my children had gone to my old school!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My dd has gone to my old high school - it is funny how many teachers are still there.

It has changed so much though
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    the open evenings are fine - but if you want to get a truer picture of the schools then phone up and organise a visit in the day whilst the pupils and teachers are there. It gives a completely different , and much more realistic perspective..
    we are doing the open days too but wanted dd to take a look at some of the schools too

what got me was this school we visited had its own health service via the school nurse (i think thats a really good idea) they offer weight management, stopping smoking, pregnancy tests, the morning after pill and std tests.

the service is 100% confidential im sorry but if my child needed to use the service i would want to know about it to support my child
    am i wrong in my thinking?

hopefuly my daughter will feel she can come to me if she did use the service.

is this health service a new thing in high schools?
    Nothing was mentioned about the health service in the open evening, the only way i found out was i read the minutes of a parent governors meeting.

I know other places offer the same sort of service (the Dr's, the brook etc) but my point is i am sending my daughter to school (as required by law) and they would be holding very important information about my daughter from me how is this working with parents for the childrens best intrest ?

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

We had this all last year and dd1 started secondary school on Tuesday the time just went so fast.

xx
    Love
    Lorraine xx

LOOPYLISA Guest

My dd goes to my old school, same uniform, some of the same teachers

I remember parent evening, we went and saw her history teacher who looked at me and said 'do i know you' yes sir you taught me

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ourmadhouse View Post
    we are doing the open days too but wanted dd to take a look at some of the schools too

what got me was this school we visited had its own health service via the school nurse (i think thats a really good idea) they offer weight management, stopping smoking, pregnancy tests, the morning after pill and std tests.

the service is 100% confidential im sorry but if my child needed to use the service i would want to know about it to support my child
    am i wrong in my thinking?

hopefuly my daughter will feel she can come to me if she did use the service.

is this health service a new thing in high schools?
    Nothing was mentioned about the health service in the open evening, the only way i found out was i read the minutes of a parent governors meeting.

I know other places offer the same sort of service (the Dr's, the brook etc) but my point is i am sending my daughter to school (as required by law) and they would be holding very important information about my daughter from me how is this working with parents for the childrens best intrest ?
    I think all high schools (and possibly primary schools in the future??) can offer their children the morning after pill without parental consent. There's a whole load of stuff they can do without your consent...
    Last edited by onceinabluemoon; 11-09-2010 at 01:12 PM.

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

i just dont agree with it, im shocked really. for a child needing the morning after pill, pregnancy test or std test somthing is wrong and i as a parent would feel im not doing my job properly. yes these things happen and under age sex will always happen i would want to support her not be kept in the dark.
    the school notifys parents if the child is smoking, drinking alcohol or using or has been using drugs (as they are illegal for under age)

Oh i dont know maybe im just getting old, wasnt like that in my day if you came to school pregnant the first thing they did was call the parents the staff made it clear that that was school policy

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i just dont agree with it, im shocked really. for a child needing the morning after pill, pregnancy test or std test somthing is wrong and i as a parent would feel im not doing my job properly. yes these things happen and under age sex will always happen i would want to support her not be kept in the dark.
    the school notifys parents if the child is smoking, drinking alcohol or using or has been using drugs (as they are illegal for under age)

Oh i dont know maybe im just getting old, wasnt like that in my day if you came to school pregnant the first thing they did was call the parents the staff made it clear that that was school policy
    i kinda think its a good idea, some girls feel they cannot get the support at home then who do they talk to? I would like to think dd would approach me if she had worries or was in trouble but u never know how they feel or how they deal with things. I would rather her feel she could get support there if she needed it and if she felt she couldn't speak to me.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As a mum of a 10 yr old daughter I'm actually all for these clinics within school. If my daughter didn't want to tell me - as I didn't my mum then at least she would have someone to turn to.

I'm doing open days at moment but thankfully we're too far to send her to my old high school

LOOPYLISA Guest

Totally agree with you