Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    PRE REG
    Non childminder member
    PARENT
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swearing In Front Of Children

What's the general consensus on this topic? My 6 year old son is worse than Joe Pesci & Gordon Ramsey put together & that's on his day off!! Really I don't know where they get it from? Must be the school playground!

Why are some words "bad" and others not? All these words are in the dictionary, isn't it rather anti-educational to circumscribe a child's vocabulary?

Anyones thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Swearing In Front Of Children

Personally I don't allow my children to swear in front of me or anyone for matter. I have explained why and that you can express youself with out swearing. I don't generally swear and if I do I explain that mum wad wrong to do so.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like children swearing at all. I don't thinks its curtailing their vocab, in fact I think using swear words limits your vocab as you're not coming up with other ways to express yourself.

Im not a prude or at all prissy, in fact I have a mouth like a sewer (worked all my adult life in the construction industry), but I do not swear in front of children or in public.

sep 90
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I swear in front of the children! Dictionary or not, swearing sounds vile. My son started when he was about 7/8 and I used to wash his mouth out with soap. Didnt stop him, he just used to swear then go and stand by the sink waiting for the wash-out! I dont think "piddle" is swearing, but when my dog went out and had a piddle on the wall and I said this in front of prospective mindees (7 & 12, sure they've heard worse) Mum gave me funny look. Still at least I realised then that I wouldnt get on with her and turned them down, but thats another story

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont swear at all never have done i think ballls is about the strongest lol its just something i havent done my nan never swore either, i dont mind people swearing but deff not infront of kids

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like children swearing - i encourage them to use different words as they have no idea what the words actually mean. If you think about it in context to the dictionary definition i think its appauling to even hear a child say what my mum would have considered a mild swear word such as 'bu***r'
    - think what the word means not something i want a child to feel its ok to be using.
    Blessed Be!

Pipsqueak Guest

I will hold my hands up I have sworn in front of my children - inadvertently and generally when I am driving - when some numpty does something stupid.
    Hands up i have done it when i have had mindees in the car as well - once. I told the parents who were thankfully ok about it.

I can swear like a trooper (result i think of spending my early working life in the builders trade!) and its normally when I am really cross and/or frustrated BUT I try very hard not to as I realise that its not nice and some people find it offensive, not to mention inarticulate and not very 'grown up' iyswim. I do try to use other non-offensive words like 'oh rats' (my mindee thinks I am going to get some rats nows), Y'see, I actually don't find it particuarly offensive, although there are some words that are extremely offensive even to me.

I don't allow children to swear, however my eldest does occasionally come out with blo*dy. Providing its within context - ie he has just trapped his finger in the door then I don't really say anything but raise an eyebrow (that seriously needs plucking so I noticed this morning) and I won't allow it in front of the littlies.
    Last edited by Pipsqueak; 19-07-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never sworn and never wish to. It sounds foul and is foul. ESPECIALLY from a child's mouth. It limits their vocab in a big way... not needing to use wonderful and descriptive (non swearing) words.. and always falling back on these words to express oneself.

And they most often do not know the context and actual meaning of the word (are just following mum and dad's/school playground's *good* example)... hmmm!!!

I do not know how anyone can possibly think swearing is nice... especially for kids.
    Jen

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my best not to
    If mindees swear , I will try and explain not to use, depends on age of child. Schoolies sometimes find it funny to use these new words that they have heard, and lets face it, swearing is common practice for many families
    I have a behaviour agreement with schoolies and can put into force if language continues.
    Saying that, I had a two year old who when he knocked down his tower of bricks said " oh, for f***s sake" I did raise this with mum who found it funny
    Carol xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Swearing is funny????
    Jen

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't swear, I don't think it's funny to swear and I certainly don't think it is acceptable for children to swear..............just because the words are in the dictionary does not make them acceptable. I never heard either of my parents swear in their life and my children certainly do not swear in front of me.

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant stand it and wont allow it in my house The dictionary is full of "proper" words to use so no need for the vulgar swear words.

Thankfully ive never had a mindee swear yet and both of my kids know better than to use any
    Fiona xx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do swear, only when im angry/ frustrated etc. Im very careful never to swear infront of mindees- although all the parents have done. DP and i are trying to cut it out because DS is really picking up on words lately, but its hard! I'd be mortified if my son swore, but then if he has heard it from me then what can i expect really!?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

If kids swear it reflects badly on the parents....some parents are not bothered about it and others are.

The children certainly won't be invited to parties as much or even excluded if they have a gutter mouth they can't control.

I'm no saint, I do swear when driving but only in front of my own kids and husband.
    He has never sworn in the 20yrs I've known him, even then he just says "Bug*er!"
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

LOOPYLISA Guest

I hate to hear swearing from children, only the other day hubs had to go across to the park as we could hear children swearing, he told them there is no need and there were younger children about

In my daughters 12 years she has never sworn, no need for it, i also think its how you bring them up, if they hear it at home they are going to say it .

Im no saint and yes i have and do say the odd word but it is never in front of dd or any other child.

sep 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    I hate to hear swearing from children, only the other day hubs had to go across to the park as we could hear children swearing, he told them there is no need and there were younger children about

In my daughters 12 years she has never sworn, no need for it, i also think its how you bring them up, if they hear it at home they are going to say it .

Im no saint and yes i have and do say the odd word but it is never in front of dd or any other child.
    Have to disagree - its not how you bring them up as we dont swear in front of children yet my son had the foul vocabulary of a navvy as said previously. Came from school, and although told at home unacceptable and plenty of mouth washing out ensued it was still an every day occurance -they all did it in his class, and for a while it became the "norm" for them, regardless of upbringing. Now an adult he would lose his job in the blink of an eye if he had a gutter mouth, which thankfully he does not.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenBourne View Post
    Have to disagree - its not how you bring them up as we dont swear in front of children yet my son had the foul vocabulary of a navvy as said previously. Came from school, and although told at home unacceptable and plenty of mouth washing out ensued it was still an every day occurance -they all did it in his class, and for a while it became the "norm" for them, regardless of upbringing. Now an adult he would lose his job in the blink of an eye if he had a gutter mouth, which thankfully he does not.
    Just my opinion get what your saying though

Pipsqueak Guest

i also think its how you bring them up, if they hear it at home they are going to say it .

Sorry, got to disagree with you Loopy, they hear all sorts at school and senior school it becomes worse. All my children know that its unacceptable in my house - even given what I have said I do not have double standards and i am throughly ashamed of myself if the odd word here and there does slip out.

However, whilst I do find it unacceptable for children to swear, I am not offended by 'bad' language - what I am offended by is it being used as every other word and totally out of context. Its a matter of perspective and opinion really, its just words - many people have no idea what some of the words mean. one of my mindees parents were horrified when she was asking about my dog I said well she is a JR bit*h (not sure if that will get censored on here so i will prempt! lol) and my hubbies colleague is a landscape gardener - referring to earth/turf as s*d (again self censored) - someone was horrified and he had to explain.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Sorry, got to disagree with you Loopy, they hear all sorts at school and senior school it becomes worse. All my children know that its unacceptable in my house - even given what I have said I do not have double standards and i am throughly ashamed of myself if the odd word here and there does slip out.

However, whilst I do find it unacceptable for children to swear, I am not offended by 'bad' language - what I am offended by is it being used as every other word and totally out of context. Its a matter of perspective and opinion really, its just words - many people have no idea what some of the words mean. one of my mindees parents were horrified when she was asking about my dog I said well she is a JR bit*h (not sure if that will get censored on here so i will prempt! lol) and my hubbies colleague is a landscape gardener - referring to earth/turf as s*d (again self censored) - someone was horrified and he had to explain.
    No thats fine, just my opinion

Pipsqueak Guest

No thats fine, just my opinion
    Thats cool

It rare that i get offended by much to be honest, outraged perhaps but not offended. Think I am quite easy going in that respect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast