Thread: Ganglion Cyst

Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ganglion Cyst

Has anyone had one and how was it treated
    I have a lump on the joint of my wedding ring finger (I'm falling to bits lately) and internet research has came up with a Ganglion cyst, have got docs appointment on Monday to get it checked out as its quite painful
    Joy xx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ganglion Cyst

ds has one on his toe. its been there about 3 years. Theyre also known as bible cysts as they used to be treated by bashing them with a really heavy book - ouchy! - but then they usually come back!
    I was told that they only treat now if they are causing mobility problems - which ds' isnt. your doctor might be more helpful though.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

they used to break them down by hitting them
    i used to have one under a ring on my right hand that seems to have disappeared on it's own

good luck and i hope it's not too painful for you

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend has one on her wrist. Not sure what has been done for it, it sometimes hurts and sometimes not!

Sorry not much help, but not heard of it before she had one
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one on my hand.
    My doc told me to hit it with a Bible (I didnt)

He then send me for an Xray which came back negative, they didnt find anything they were worried about. It actually went away by itself, took a long time mind.
    Needs to Zumba

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi ive got one on my wrist its about size of a 2p doctor said they can remove it or i could hit it hard with a book ow! ive decided whilst it doesnt hurt il leave it. mine isnt a cyst its just a ganglion is it different? hope you get on ok at docs let me know what gp sugests

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We all posted together
    Needs to Zumba

LOOPYLISA Guest

Yes my dd has one on her elbow

She knocked it on her ladder of her bed 4 years ago we were worried she had broken it as it swelled up, took her to a + e , we were sent for a xray nothing broken, we were referred to a consultant as no-one had a clue what it was

Long and short of it they said it was Ganglion dunno if they said cyst, but they were happy to leave it and when shes older they would remove for cosmetic reasons, tbh ive not looked at it for ages , doesnt bother her either

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandy64 View Post
    hi ive got one on my wrist its about size of a 2p doctor said they can remove it or i could hit it hard with a book ow! ive decided whilst it doesnt hurt il leave it. mine isnt a cyst its just a ganglion is it different? hope you get on ok at docs let me know what gp sugests
    Yes dd's isnt a cyst

june 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one on the back of my hand when i was pregnant with my first child she is now 4. After having her it went away and came back about 4 weeks ago.

When i mentioned it to my midwife she said the same about hitting it with a bible

As it doesnt hurt i dont pay any attention to it and forget its there half the time.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine has been there for a while but it is now hurting thats why im going to see about it, I have had to take my wedding rings off cos they are rubbing it but I have had a pain up and down my hand as well
    Joy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I have had a pain up and down my hand as well
    Sit straight using a good back rest to protect your lower arms as well as back and shoulders...

Type with your fingers and wrists in the air, not resting on the keyboard...

Use a little mouse if you have a little hand...

When not typing, move your fingers around and shake and stretch them...

Make sure you are sitting properly at the keyboard, not slouching across a desk or leaning on a sofa cushion...

Take lots of breaks and stop if it starts to ache...

If your hands are cold wear fingerless gloves... warm them up before you start typing so the muscles are relaxed...

When you pick up children try not to use your hands, use your wrists / lower arms instead to protect your hands...

Don't do stressful things with your hands like tear bags or open cans - use an electric opener / scissors every time.

hth

Aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

DH had one - it was removed in an op with a local anaesthetic - turned out it it had a splinter inside!

Pipsqueak Guest

Brian has a lump (although i keep saying that they would do more damage in removing it as it is sitting on top of his shoulders and strongly resembles his head) on his wrist - doc says its a calcium deposit and to hit it hard with something.

I keep offering..... I have even got a rolling pin out - he can't understand why I am so eager and willing to help him out

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Pip you make me smile so often - love your posts!

Back to the ganglion I had one on my thumb went to the doc who referred me to the nurse and it was quickly dispersed by an injection (seem to remember it being steriod) no pain whatsoever.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Brian has a lump (although i keep saying that they would do more damage in removing it as it is sitting on top of his shoulders and strongly resembles his head) on his wrist - doc says its a calcium deposit and to hit it hard with something.

I keep offering..... I have even got a rolling pin out - he can't understand why I am so eager and willing to help him out
    Like this Pip hehe
    Dont think I could whack mine with anything would prob end up with a broken finger, really aching this morning just hope there is something they can do when I go on Monday
    Joy xx

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get these come up all the time, I have had one removed from my back and my wrist. I have another two on my right arm waiting to be removed.

My Doctor removes them at the surgery under local anaesthetic. It only takes 1/2hr or so and although it stings when he numbs it up, its fine after that.
    My doctor always sends them off to the Path Lab but they always come back as just a fatty lump.

A bit like me realy
    Toothfairy

Oct 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one on the top of my right foot. I Like to be different! Had it removed many years ago, but it's come back and it hurts.