Bedtimes
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedtimes

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Bedtimes

I know we have waffled about this before but my 12yr old (in two weeks) tells me that I am apparently 'unfair'

His bedtime during school time is 9pm and once a week because of a programme he likes is allowed to stay up to 10pm -
    weekends its 10.30 (apart from Sunday)
    he gets up fine in the mornings and when he is clearly suffering from lack of sleep (generally because he doesn't go straight of to sleep) he gets sent to bed a bit earlier.

so does that sound about ok?

and also very wierdly he has started sleeping on the floor

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bedtimes

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    I know we have waffled about this before but my 12yr old (in two weeks) tells me that I am apparently 'unfair'

His bedtime during school time is 9pm and once a week because of a programme he likes is allowed to stay up to 10pm -
    weekends its 10.30 (apart from Sunday)
    he gets up fine in the mornings and when he is clearly suffering from lack of sleep (generally because he doesn't go straight of to sleep) he gets sent to bed a bit earlier.

so does that sound about ok?

and also very wierdly he has started sleeping on the floor
    Sounds very reasonable and fair.

E last night texted me from bed and said "why can't you be like other parents?"

She'd stropped to bed because we said lights out at 9.15, she wanted 9.30 and we wouldn't back down.

I'm going to show her your post tonight just to show how how reasonable we are being since she is only 10!
    Come back David....

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nannymcflea View Post
    Sounds very reasonable and fair.

E last night texted me from bed and said "why can't you be like other parents?"

She'd stropped to bed because we said lights out at 9.15, she wanted 9.30 and we wouldn't back down.

I'm going to show her your post tonight just to show how how reasonable we are being since she is only 10!
    Or show her my post as my 10yo goes bed at 8.30
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds fine Pip.

My son is coming 11 very soon and he goes to bed at 9pm except on fridays and Saturdays when I let him stay up til about 10.30 - 11ish.

He doesn't like going to bed any earlier than 10 - he says it's not fair etc, just like your boy does.

he is sometimes wide awake when I go to bed at 10 and doesn't want to get up in the mornings but I won't let him go to bed any later than 9pm x

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

my ds who is 8 goes up to bed at 7pm and spends maybe another hour or so reading or playing with go gos on his bed before we go up and tell him light out, he loves his reading time... My dd who is 4 goes to bed at 6.30 to be read to until 7 and then lights out, although she doesnt tend to be asleep before 8 though....

I think it depends on the child, ds needs alot of sleep where dd keeps giong and going then drops wherever and sleeps for hours at a time...
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

my boys are 14 and 16 - and lights out by 10 in the week ! even at the weekends im quite strict as im sick of them being up after me! Dh and I need some us time too. 10 o clock is late enough when they need to be up at 7.at age 10 they were still in bed at 8.30. mean mummy!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS was 13 in Nov. Bedtime on school nights is 9.30 (watches a prog on TV once a week till 10 then straight to bed), weekends 10pm in room and can read or play on his laptop till 10.45 ish. On a school night if he wants to play on his laptop/read he has to go earlier.

He always gets up first in the mornings, if he turns into a grumpy teen and has trouble getting up he will be told to go earlier. Usually if he feels tired he puts himself to bed earlier anyway.

At Christmas he stayed up as later (and DD 15 too) He realised how tired he was getting and felt he was wasting his day not getting up as early as usual. Likes his routine
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

my 16 yeaR OLD HAS FOUND FACE BOOK AND ONLINE X BOX And he is always the last one awake in our house and we dont go to bed early at least 12 - 1 am sometimes.

but he has never done sleep since he was born

so yes you are being very fair
    One life live it

june 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think thats very fair, my nephew is 12 in Feb and he goes to bed at 9.00-9.30 on school nights.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

when i was at boarding school lights out for 12-13 year olds was 8pm! i think we were allowed 9pm lights out at 15-16 (GCSE years) and in 6th form it was put yourself to bed - i was always asleep by 8pm in 6th form though as i was suffering with chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Blessed Be!

Pipsqueak Guest

Phew - my son had very nearly succeeded with the guilt trip althought I kept thinking I was about right with the timings

thank you ladies

My 5 yr old goes to bed around 6.30ish and 9yr old goes between 7.30/8 - depending on how lairy his behaviour is getting

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd is 12 in June and has to go to bed at 9pm. She's got a telly in her room but she's not allowed to watch it after 9 without my permission. I know she doesn't go to sleep straight away but I go to bed at 10 so need a bit of time to myself. I let her stay up a bit late at the weekends but only if what we're watching is suitable for her age. Am I mean?

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    sounds fine Pip.

My son is coming 11 very soon and he goes to bed at 9pm except on fridays and Saturdays when I let him stay up til about 10.30 - 11ish.

He doesn't like going to bed any earlier than 10 - he says it's not fair etc, just like your boy does.

he is sometimes wide awake when I go to bed at 10 and doesn't want to get up in the mornings but I won't let him go to bed any later than 9pm x
    Snap

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just shown E this posting and she got all stroppy and told me to "go away". She stompped off upstairs, slamming the door as she went, so she was made to come back and read ALL the posts, just to show how "unfair" I am!
    Come back David....

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DS 10 - goes to bed at 7:30 / 8pm Sunday - Thursday & 9:30 - 11pm on Fridays & Saturdays (we play board games as a family once the younger 2 are asleep on Saturdays & Fridays she spends at her Nana's)

Oh & PS When I was around 10 I took the matteress of my bed, moved it to the spare room (no bed in there) - bought a bedside cabinet at a jumble sale & moved in there where I slept on the matteress on the floor - Have no idea why! My Mum let me get on with it!
    Last edited by Blaze; 07-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Blaze x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine are 14 and 16 and are sent to their rooms at 9... I have had enough of them by then!

Daddy Day Care Guest

Sounds very fair to me, i was never allowed to stay up that later at that age.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My boys are 13 and also go up at 9pm. 9.30 at weekends. They can read for 30 minutes or so on a weeknight if they want but certainly no later than 9.30. They are growing boys and need sleep, good food and exercise to successfully grow into adulthood. And I need alone time with my husband.

Pipsqueak Guest

just following on - what the best time to send a grumpy, mardy 46yr old bug&er to bed

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    just following on - what the best time to send a grumpy, mardy 46yr old bug&er to bed
    I leave my DH asleep on the sofa if he falls asleep there!!!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast