a novel way to care for guinea pigs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a novel way to care for guinea pigs

we've had our pigs in the garage for the last week so its a little warmer for them - today it was sunny so i put their run on the grass and put them out for a bit. One of them (the fiesty one), managed to lift the run up with her nose and made a break for it. she got through a hole in the fence and was away - the other was trying to follow anyway, i thought she was a gonner so we took the run away from the hutch which we put back outside and left food out - she came back so hubby has taken the run away all together, they have open access to the garden now theory is they'll come home for warmth and food but be able to feel a little freer as one of them obviously likes the idea of being able to wonder off
    Blessed Be!

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a novel way to care for guinea pigs

are you not worried about cats or foxes getting them or even dogs or sea gulls??
    Nicole xx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

my friends did this with their rabbits once and they had a great life 'living free'! lol. there only worry at first was that their terrier dog who used to sit looking at the rabbits through the bars and barking would get them but once when they were accidently all let out at the same time the dog charged over to the rabbits and got a hefty kick in the face! lol. never bothered them again and was actually scared of them.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Ours live in the lounge

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

no, we've had no door on the bottom level of the hutch for the past year and the run that was around the cage was only about 12 inches high so any cats, foxes or seagulls would have got them if they were going to as it was really no barrier! they've had all sorts of friends in their hutch, birds nip in for some of their food and we've even seen a doormouse running round the back!!
    Blessed Be!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear they are living free Do hope you dont regret it tho, even after what you have said Good Luck GP's
    Needs to Zumba

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww bless the little guineas. Hope they are ok free range and have lots of fun

My 2 live in the playroom with the rabbit and the hamster. Theres almost no room for kids

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely idea, i wouldnt trust mine though hes a bit of a rascal

Mine live in the kitchen in an indoor hutch i think its a bit warm thou instead of them sleeping inside there little house they all lie down on the sawdust looks like there sunbathing

i clean them out every 2 days or they get a bit smelly

mindees love them at lunch time watching them nibbling, it stopped all the crying they just watch them now
    One life live it

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I got 2 guinea pigs recently I have them indoors though! I couldn't let them free range my cat would love to try them out !

Mine do have free run of the kitchen most of the time though in the evening after lots of hugs

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My rabbit lives free range like this mostly. He has a hutch which he goes into at night and at the moment has an indoor hutch in the conservatory but during the day he has full run of the house and garden.

I have three cats but they are terrified of him so no worries there and the dog has been taught not to play with him.

I figure if something does go wrong he has had a very nice life with lots of freedom and lots of attention ( he's a bit in your face if he wants a cuddle ).

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post

I figure if something does go wrong he has had a very nice life with lots of freedom and lots of attention ( he's a bit in your face if he wants a cuddle ).
    My thoughts exactly

I have a lovely rabbit who has had the run of my garden - and next doors - and sometimes the other side (he shoos him away, doesn't like animals) and he has a fantastic life.

My neighbour decided to get a rabbit too and has done the same allowing her rabbit to have use of the 2 gardens.

My 4 guinea pigs on the other hand are prime targets for the cats - I think it's the way they scamper that makes the cats go for them - so the rabbits are ok but if a guinea pig escapes they are toast (has happened few times ).

This is the hutch I bought for my 4 piggies
    Looks huge in the pics-it's ideal for 4 - 6 piggies

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

mine's a bit like that - its got an upstairs and a downstairs run area - they're still in the hutch - lol i think the freedom is scaring them coz they're not even out on the grass!! will see how they go over the day and if they're still not outside i might put the run out with a big gap so they are free range but feel more secure!
    Blessed Be!

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What bothers me with little animals is that no matter how lovely you make their houses they are still determined to break out and go running in dangerous areas.

Have you got any pics of your guineas?

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    I got 2 guinea pigs recently I have them indoors though! I couldn't let them free range my cat would love to try them out !

Mine do have free run of the kitchen most of the time though in the evening after lots of hugs
    Mine have free run of our lounge some evenings

Wood flooring o very wipeable

best animals i have ever bought, well apart from my cats