Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Halloween - Love it or Hate it?

in recent years i used to decorate my house have partys and was just as excited about it as my kids

my kids are now 13 16 and my box of decorations has moved for the last 2 years

im sad as im not excited about it anymore which means my kids are growing up 2 fast
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post

When I was a child Carol singing was very popular but at least the person got a song or two to listen to, in return for their treat. With trick or treat there is nothing, just a demand for a treat.
    Not in Scotland it's a lvoely family atmosphere, children are only allowed to knock on houses with obvious signs of pumpkins/posters etc such a change from where I used to live in Midlands where it would feel very scary and intimidating and older teens with just a mask on and demanding cash from you

It's called guising and you have to do a little skit, a song, a dance, tell a joke or something when you knock the door.

One lot at my door told me a joke, and I told them one back:

Knock knock
    who's there
    ghosts go
    ghosts go who?
    no ghost go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And he kids were all wow that's a wicked joke, can we use yours instead?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant say i 'hate' halloween , but certainly wont celebrate it! My boys have never been allowed to go trick or treating - i feel it is begging at best , and irresponsible at worst - many children are unaccompanied and knocking at the doors of complete strangers. Parents spend the rest of the year teaching of 'stranger danger ' and never accept sweeties from a strange man , only to encourage it one day a year. Older children look with disdain at an offfered lollipop ,expecting a pound coin at least! It bears no comparison whatsoever to the tooth fairy or other myths there there is no risk to anyone and people are not made to feel uncomfortable in their own homes.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

well said mama

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mamma too. I did arts and crafts with mindees for Halloween but have never let my own trick or treat. Having said that last night DH and DSs were not home and I had a small selection of sweets in case. Didn't mind LOs but when 8 teenagers knocked at once felt a bit uncomfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I cant say i 'hate' halloween , but certainly wont celebrate it! My boys have never been allowed to go trick or treating - i feel it is begging at best , and irresponsible at worst - many children are unaccompanied and knocking at the doors of complete strangers. Parents spend the rest of the year teaching of 'stranger danger ' and never accept sweeties from a strange man , only to encourage it one day a year. Older children look with disdain at an offfered lollipop ,expecting a pound coin at least! It bears no comparison whatsoever to the tooth fairy or other myths there there is no risk to anyone and people are not made to feel uncomfortable in their own homes.
    I have to agree. My boys were never allowed to go trick or treating (horrible mum that I am!!) We live on a medium sized estate and it is surprising how many children come from other local villages to knock on our doors This year as I wasn't working on Friday I didn't put any decorations out, but still had dozens of children knocking on the door "trick or treating", but no sign of any tricks, just a bag being held out. There were about 6 10 year olds (well I know some of them are at middle school) who came and literally grabbed handfulls!! I don't mind the little ones, and to be honest all the lo's that came were accompanied by adults, but the older ones, don't even speak to you the rest of the year!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I Love it, we had a lovely day yesterday, we decorated the front of the house with cobwebs, skeletons balloons etc.

I bought my 2 a pumpkin each, and they drew designs of how they wanted them to look, and then DH helped them carve them like their designs.

They both dressed up and i painted their faces. DS (11) wanted to go trick or treating with his mates, so for the first time (without me) he was allowed after a VERY long lecture!!!!

I took DD (6) and her friend out and DH stayed at home and answered the door.

We have very strict rules, we live in a village which is largely made up of young families so are lucky. We only knock at doors if people have decorations/pumpkins. We only knock once and then leave. the children stand back from the door, and always say thankyou. I was also shouting thankyou from the pavement.

Everyone who called here was lovely and polite, and i was really impressed. The last callers were at about 8pm, and were teenagers, i told then i thought they were a bit old for it, but i had some home made pumpkin biscuits left which my DD had made during the day and they were very grateful and said how lovely the biscuits were and how clever she was......she was beaming.

I guess unfortunatly sometimes they are the minority that ruin it for others, but then thats the case with most things!!!!
    Lou xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

This year we went camping in the middle of Wales to get away from it all for a bit. In our small estate there are over 40 kids and they come over and it costs a fortune in sweets.
    So we went camping in a Yurt with 2 other famillies and had a great time doing a 'chocolate coin hunt' in the pitch dark (not too dark as there was a full moon) and we gave the kids a large glow stick and told them to look at the foot of every tree.
    Kept them occupied for ages and then my husband dressed up as a ghost and chased them round the field.
    Much more fun!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12