Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PHOBIAS

Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PHOBIAS

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    BUTTERFLIES! i think they look very pretty from a distance but if they flutter round me i hate it! I recently had to walk through a butterfly house as was with friends and didn't want to look a wimp, i vertually ran through and was absolutely sweating by the time i got out!
    snap ... as you can see from first post ..

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    small enclosed spaces
    lifts

heights can't go up Blackpool tower but I am happy as pie on the Big One (rollercoaster or other high type things like that EXCEPT the drop tower thingys) - I think its because I am strapped in! lol

If we are somewhere - for example when we were in Whitby last weekend walking along the quayside - huge big drop down to the water, I grabbed the kids and walked the furthest side from it! Kids think its hilarious

Don't know when it came on
    Ive done Eiffel Tower / Empire State Building. (lifts and heights ) Was going to do Statue of Liberty but it was 6 weeks after 9/11 and was not open...ooh did have a helicopter ride around it (not alllowed too close as restrictions..look at that more heights over water)

Done loads of high things...but only as I say to myself if I don't do it will never never get the changce again..at least I can say Ive done it..who cares if I didn't see anything..only get to see what it was like when I see the piccies my husband takes get developed lol

Cant believe Ive done loads of things Ive been scared of but nothing cured my fears..may have to get in touch with Paul Mckenna (sp)

Pipsqueak Guest

Can't believe I forgot slugs - gross gross gross things

yuk yuk yuk

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm scared of heights and frogs and slugs.

They're not phobias though these things are really dangerous.....................

My daughter is scared of..................velvet ?? .............go figure

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

heights

sharp corners in the road

sounds silly but hey
    One life live it

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

same as above- falling!

especially phobic about my kids falling.

Flying- to the point where i get a pill from the doc

Anybody else needing first aid- fine with myself getting hurt but if anyone else does- i freak out and have a panic attack- i'm going to be such a rubbish CM

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like spiders, rats or mice and not keen on heights but I suppose my real phobia is birds etc flying around me in an enclosed space. It started when I was young and we had a budgie that my brother let out of the cage and it flapped around the room and our heads like mad - scared the living daylights out of me!

jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I was little I've been petrified of balloons - cant remember the exact time it happened, but mum made me have balloons every birthday party (despite me begging her not to) and I'd run upstairs to get away from them, same for christmas, we had to have balloons dangling from the ceiling above the fire = which made them move when it was on, (making my palms sweat just writing this) - spoiled birthdays and christmas for me. Now I try and ask if there'll be balloons (had to miss the school fair ), have to check before I take the kids to parties and they know they're not allowed to bring any home. How sad am I - dont even want therapy for it cos they face you with your fear Afraid of nothing else though - just as well really!
    Carol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is water. I can't swim because I have panic attacks. I know how to swim but when I'm in it, especially on my own, I feel that I'm going to be attacked from below by...something. Sharks are my biggest fear. Even in a swimming pool that I can clearly see contains nothing. Doesn't matter. My body takes over and I freak out and tuck my legs up and flail for the side. My heart races, I feel sick, I have no control over the way my body reacts.

My father swears it's because I watched Jaws when I was a little girl but I think I had the phobia before then and that's the reason the movie scared me so much and not the other way around. He'll tell me I loved swimming but I always say 'Dad, just because you enjoyed throwing me into the water doesn't me I enjoyed it!'

I think it stems from a past life experience, I really do.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am scared of

Spiders,
    heights
    looking through telescopes (although I love astronomy , someone has to be there with me while i am looking out to sea or up in the sky through one)

Driving near rivers
    water

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heights!!! Well getting there if I can see below me its an issue. I can go on any rides if I can get to the start. Couldnt do Blackpool tower went with some friends freaking at the thought of it but one of my friends dd was scared so I volunteered to stay with her!!!

Can deal with anything else!!!
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    same as above- falling!

Anybody else needing first aid- fine with myself getting hurt but if anyone else does- i freak out and have a panic attack- i'm going to be such a rubbish CM
    I don't do blood...wasn't very good on first aid course..had to keep looking away when videos were on...I have actually passed out on a number of occassions at the sight of blood

Any children I have are going to love me....don't do insects (flyng ones anyway/climbing frames out of the question...-heights/no running incase of blood lol ..)

Risk assessments...v long lol..guess Im goipng to have to be brave....

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Frogs is mean I hate them if I see them I just scream and scream hubby thinks it is so funny but he does get cross sometimes and says oh they will not hurt you, I know that but I just hate them with a passion.
    Love
    Lorraine xx

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dentists - started when had tooth pulled as a child and dentist didn't tell me what he was doing!! just did it.

Spiders - don't know when this started!!

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Heights for me too. Even seeing people on the telly on a high building makes my palms all sweaty!!!!
    Sue

Non childminder member
    Business
    Post Thanks / Like

Spiders. And i know how it started. A long time ago, and i mean when Scooby Doo was a new TV show, my parents both worked so i was (rather ironically) looked after by a childminder.

One hot summer day in the garden as i recall, i was eating my lunch. A ham sandwich with white bread. It was in a green plastic tupperware bowl. The son of my childminder who was older than me come over to me and had his hands cupped, and being a small boy i didnt suspect anything as he opened his hands and dropped a massive (to me at the time) spider on my sandwich. I remember freaking out and dropped my sandwich on the floor of the garden.

Since then i have never liked spiders. Cant even look at them without shivering (doing it now just thiking about it).

So yeah, emotionally scared for life by the actions of a nasty child.

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

spiders

heights

snakes

sandpaper

feet - especially mens naked feet - they freak me out

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lorraine2767 View Post
    Frogs is mean I hate them if I see them I just scream and scream hubby thinks it is so funny but he does get cross sometimes and says oh they will not hurt you, I know that but I just hate them with a passion.

Frogs

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Vomit

I know nobody likes it but it's controlled my life to a degree.

I'm a lot better now but I used to walk half a mile out of my way to avoid a spot where somebody had recently been sick (in the last week or two......). My husband has to deal with the kids if they throw up. I try to avoid fast rides at fairgrounds, pubs late at night..... Any situation where I think people may be. I also discounted Primary School teaching and nursing as careers because of people being sick. I can remember incidents of people being sick twenty or more years ago.

I've been a lot better since I worked out where it came from - there was a boy at my primary school called Chris Eccles. We'd only just started so I could only have been 5 at the most. He sat next to me whenwe had lunch and for some reason every lunchtime he was sick - over his plate. I don't know how long it went on for but it must have been at least a week or two because I know sometimes I was sat next to him, sometimes opposite, sometimes diagonally opposite. And every time we ate, he's throw it all up again and I'm sure that's where my phobia of vomit came from and possible has soemthing to do with the eating problems I had in my teens.

If I ever meet chris Eccles again I think I'm goig to stamp on his toe

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrie Louise View Post
    I don't do blood...wasn't very good on first aid course..had to keep looking away when videos were on...I have actually passed out on a number of occassions at the sight of blood
    When i was at secondary school we were watching a dissection video and one of the girls fainted. She was sitting on the table, fell down, landed on another girl on her way down and gave the other girl concussion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast