Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Spelling!

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spelling!

Oh goodness! Who cares if I dun't speell properrly?!

I type pretty fast and sometimes I foget to read what I have written before I post my reply, but I am sure it makes sense to most people.

Besides this forum is for all, no one should feel under pressure to ensure their spelling and grammar is correct!!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    Oh goodness! Who cares if I dun't speell properrly?!

I type pretty fast and sometimes I foget to read what I have written before I post my reply, but I am sure it makes sense to most people.

Besides this forum is for all, no one should feel under pressure to ensure their spelling and grammar is correct!!
    I read your post as it was meant to be read ... do we gain a certificate to show we can read typonese?

its a language we are all qualified in yet unrecognisable to many others, I'm sure there should be some form of degree to be gained through understanding and reading as its typed rhather than as its sposed to be spelt.

oops there is a typo nope gonna leave it so you lot can work it out giggles

the spell checker doesnt work for me on my BT browser

Firefox throws me out so guess you are ll stuck with either ignoring me or decifering what I mean!
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your poem Nicole!! My DH wants to send it to his niece. He deleted her from facebook because he was fed up of not being able to read a word she said. Everything is in text speak!! It drove him crazy.

She said he needs to 'get down with the kids'

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprogs View Post
    No its not you. This person hasnt posted in a long time and i'm not even sure if shes still a member. I've never had a problem reading any of your posts.

This certain person used to spell every single word wrong and made it impossible to make out a post especially since there was no punctuation either.
    I know who you mean Sproggy!!!

I appreciate what Ricky has pointed out is a valid opinion but personally I come on here to chill out with mates, have a larrrrffff and catch up. I find out some great info and pointers (spelt right or not) and I don't mind typos and spelling mistakes.
    I can't be bothered to check for my spelling mistakes half the time - generally only make them when I am tired out lol (thats how wonderful I am ).
    My professional documentation and the like is spelling and grammer perfect so I am quite happy with my professional front.
    As has been said already there are many people on here - some who may have a condition, English not being a first language etc and I think some tolerance is perhaps needed.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huggableshelly View Post

Firefox throws me out
    Mmmmm what a sensible Firefox
    Pauline x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with you all. In general, my spelling & grammar is pretty good and I make sure that all my 'business' paperwork is word perfect, as are any letters & correspondence. (I hope I spelt that right!!!! )

I too come on the forum and relax, it has never bothered me if people make mistakes on here. I really hope the original post has not put anyone off posting.

By the end of a childminding day it's amazing we can all still have the energy to even type!
    Amaranth xx

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Mmmmm what a sensible Firefox
    now Pauline .... that wasnt very nice !
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our computer is a bit on the slow side - bless it - and has what we endearingly term 'sticky keys', where we type and only about a quarter of the letters actually come out. This is particularly the case in the morning before it's had a chance to wake up properly. It can take 5 minutes to write a couple of sentences and if I'm on this forum then I don't always correct everything. I can see that having spelling mistakes in professional documents can be offputting for some people - my faher was very critical of grammatical and spelling errors - but generally I hope it's our personalities that win us through with the parents.

That said, I do know the person being referred to whose posts were illegible to some of us and - I'm afraid - I also eventually gave up reading them because I couldn't make head nor tail of them at all. I think she gave up childminding in the end?

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread on here last week asking everyone to watch their swearing and that is fine as it was pointed out, parents come on this forum and read the posts, but as for grammer no I think as quite a few have mentioned we come on here for a chat and a wee laugh and to blow off some steam not to remember our full stops. (see I remembered mine 10/10 top of the class for me)
    Joy xx

jun 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    I just found the spell checker..

go to reply to a thread... and you see on your right all the smileys

just above them are a few more signs..one says ABC and it is the spell checker!!

never knew it was there!

oh no mine has only an A (switch editor mode)

how do i get an ABC spell checker.... help!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i have resisted answering this thread as it made me so angry that you would dare to try to tell me how i should write a message to my friends. But in speaking to people today i realise how hurt some of them are by what you have written and one has even told me " I have really been put off posting anything due to that thread, it makes me feel thick and unworthy to reply." she then went on to say that it had knocked her confidence and she wasn't brave enough to reply on the thread for fear of being put down by you.

I am sure Rickysmith that you didn't intend for your op to come across like this but i think you have genuinly upset quite a few members.

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I really don't know what to say that wouldn't cause me to be chucked off the forum!!

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

i was quite put out by th first post. in this day and age with dyxlexia, english not the first language ect everyone is different.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and i hope that no-one stops posting now that this posting has obviously generated a lot of feelings regarding it.

to each their own, if you know of a poster that is difficult to read just bypass it but dont tar us all with the same brush.
    karen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread on here last week asking everyone to watch their swearing and that is fine
    Good point, Joybells. That thread was, if I remember correctly, written by the owner and administrator of the board so fair dues, she's got a right to boss us about (even though I was one of the culprits who got their knuckles wrapped ).

AJS, that's really sad. Nobody should feel anything but valued and supported for their input on this forum. We're here to offer advice, not set ourselves up as know-it-alls.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    i have resisted answering this thread as it made me so angry that you would dare to try to tell me how i should write a message to my friends. But in speaking to people today i realise how hurt some of them are by what you have written and one has even told me " I have really been put off posting anything due to that thread, it makes me feel thick and unworthy to reply." she then went on to say that it had knocked her confidence and she wasn't brave enough to reply on the thread for fear of being put down by you.

I am sure Rickysmith that you didn't intend for your op to come across like this but i think you have genuinly upset quite a few members.
    Thanks AJS, this is exactly how i feel about this post

My spelling and grammar are not great, but until i read this post i didnt feel people were judging me on my ability to spell.

I have been a member here for 18 mths and no-one has made me feel so insecure.
    Donna

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbumbles View Post
    Thanks AJS, this is exactly how i feel about this post

My spelling and grammar are not great, but until i read this post i didnt feel people were judging me on my ability to spell.

I have been a member here for 18 mths and no-one has made me feel so insecure.
    The main thing is Mrs.Bumbles is that people are not judging you, it was just one member and reading all the replies not one has agreed with the original post. Everyone is saying that members are welcome here no matter what or how they post, and that is most certainly the case, so you just carry on as you were because you bring so much to the Forum.

Perhaps if you are reading this Ricksmiths you would like to comment on the responses you have received? I'm sure you didn't intend to upset folks did you? and having looked at some posts lately I see you are guilty of spelling mistakes too - so we are all equal now
    Pauline x

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post

I tried to respond with humour, but now feel very angry that people have been made to feel bad about themselves & been put off posting

....please everyone, don't let rickysmiths own mistake in posting this thread put you off the forum & posting...everyone is valued & appreciated here...even rickysmith..I am sure she didn't mean any upset & will apologise when she sees this thread (damage done I know, but we all make mistakes)...
    Blaze x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I am sure she didn't mean any upset & will apologise when she sees this thread (damage done I know, but we all make mistakes)...
    Well said Blaze I am sure you are right.

One other thing I meant to say is that I am very proud (as usual) of everyone because this thread has been responded to as sensible adults, no one has resorted to unpleasantness, they have answered politely but to the point and expressed their views with passion.

It is this that makes the Forum so special. Thank you guys!
    Pauline x

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

Come on ladies and gents, we are supposed to be projecting a professional face.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I'm not expecting us all to be perfect, we are human! But lets all try.
    Some people are dyslexic and all youve done is pointed that out and other people who are bad spellers does it matter.if you cant read a thread because of the way things are spelt DONT READ IT MOVE ON TO ANOTHER

This is supposed to be a happy, say what you like and within reason forum,

if this is all you have to say then i think you seriously need to get a life

di xx
    One life live it

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

Come on ladies and gents, we are supposed to be projecting a professional face.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I'm not expecting us all to be perfect, we are human! But lets all try.
    Ouch!

I think you are bang out of order with your post.

Spelling has never been my strong point but to be honest, I didn't really think it mattered all that much on a forum such as this were we are all friends together.

Typos happen all the time, particularly when you are quickly replying to someone whilst 3 or 4 little ones are eating lunch, etc.

My spelling is not good enough for me to write a book but I think I am up to forum standards and I will not be told otherwise!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast