Thread: SMEAR TESTS!!!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SMEAR TESTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    anyone know what age you should be having smears from???? i'm only 22 (23 this year) but my son is 2 now so don't know if i've fallen off the system somewhere.
    anna xx
    You should have them done if you have had a child...I was 19 when I had my first LO and had one done when she was 6 months
    Blaze x

jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I go regularly , I hate it as much as the rest of you, and only get through it by thinking of my children and then thinking of the poor nurse that has to do it 10 times a day and for her it is as normal as giving out injections.
    x helen

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    You should have them done if you have had a child...I was 19 when I had my first LO and had one done when she was 6 months
    thats what i thought somewhere along the line, thanks, i need to make an appt about my toes so i'll mention it then!!
    anna xxx
    Blessed Be!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 babies before 25 and they wouldnt do it till i reached 25 even though i asked. Have had one now though and all was fine. I think they should begin them when you are sexually active and DEF when you have a baby.

RE: time you have it done during the month- my nurse told me the time in your cycle depends where your cervix is and how easy it is to take a swab. So i think the day 14 bit must be when it is easiest to perform the smear.

Well done to everyone who has booked them.

xxx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    anyone know what age you should be having smears from???? i'm only 22 (23 this year) but my son is 2 now so don't know if i've fallen off the system somewhere.
    anna xx

I might be wrong but I thought that you are meant to have a smear done after you have ababy (regardless of age). Might be best to phone your doctor and find out??

Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had one since 2003, just can't face it, I would rather give birth than have a smear test. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of Jades story but I can't bear the thought. My problem is not that I can't find the time but the fact that I may have to face whoever carries out my smear again on another occasion, ie. seeing the nurse or doctor the next time I go to the surgery. I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere else I could have it done but so far haven't come up with anything, I'd feel a lot better if I knew i wouldn't see the person who does my smear again

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have smears regularly as soon as you become sexually active, whatever age that is and whther or not you have a baby. The human papillomavirus is sexually transmitted and is the leading cause of cervical cancer. It is also why young girls should have the cervical cancer jab (here I go again! ) and also another reason condoms are so important!
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a smear done a few months back due to bad abdominal pains i was having. The nurse really didnt want to do a smear because im only 23 and although ive had a child, they really dont like to give them until your 25 which i think is disgraceful!! Anyway smear results were clear but still get abdominal pains which the doctors dont seem to have a clue about!!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by louised View Post
    I haven't had one since 2003, just can't face it, I would rather give birth than have a smear test. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of Jades story but I can't bear the thought. My problem is not that I can't find the time but the fact that I may have to face whoever carries out my smear again on another occasion, ie. seeing the nurse or doctor the next time I go to the surgery. I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere else I could have it done but so far haven't come up with anything, I'd feel a lot better if I knew i wouldn't see the person who does my smear again
    contact your local family planning clinic. they may do them there or at least be able to advise you further.

my partners auntie also always has hers done at the hospital by a gynecologist (sp?) as she has a physical dis. but she says lots of woman go there for other reason such as phobias etc.

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, Not sure if you have read my earlier post...I urge you to go and have a check, Please dont let embarrassment get in the way of your health.

mertonparker.x
    You make 'em, I amuse 'em.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I will make a few calls and see if I can find somewhere that will do my smear test

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will make a few calls and see if I can find somewhere that will do my smear test
    Well done-There will be somewhere you can have it done. Most Doctors surgery's have a well women clinic and its normally held in the evening. Please do check out your doctors and if they dont hold one please ask as to where you can have one done.

Take Care.
    Mertonparker.x

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misst104 View Post
    Just been reading the 'poor Jade'thread and seems a few of us girlies are putting off our smear tests. Just thought I'd get everyones attention in case they don't read other thread and say GET YOUR SMEAR TEST BOOKED !!!!!!

I'm as bad as the next person as I hate them too but its so important. I've had cancer myself ( thankfully skin cancer not cervical ) but I know that the earlier its caught the better chance there is of treating it. Mine was malignant melanoma which is the most ferocious type of skin cancer but they caught it early and after having plastic surgery to cut it out I am now fine (quick touch wood if you are reading this please )

The big C word is awful but its so important that we look after ourselves so come on all you naughty girls who are due a smear. GET ON THE PHONE THIS WEEK

jo x x x

I think the whole Jade - cancer hits home and should really get us motivated to get checked. I hate smears but I feel like I cant afford to not be checked
    Liz xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mine done regularly. I hate it and get myself all worked up but its over quickly and could save my life.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I am at a loss about when the rule about being 25 came into force because when I lived in "Holy Catholic Ireland" before I was 25 I had a couple of smears at family planning centres. Then when I came here I was almost 26 and I had one when I registered with the doctors then when I moved to Hartfordshire and registered with the doctor there they wouldn't do it because although the ruling was every 3 years in Manchester it was every 5 down south and the doctor said it would be destroyed if he did one. A few months later I had one done down there for some reason or another. Then when I moved back up here and registered with a new doctor in East cheshire they did one, then because I was undergoing fertility treatment I seemed to be getting them done every hands turn at different clinics, one doctor (an older lady) was really rough and she made me bleed and they couldn't read the results so I had to get it done again. I had them done after my 6 week post natal checks and my 2 were only 21mths apart then I had 2 within 7 years and one last year and was told then that they were to be done every 3 years now so I am due one in 2 years time.

Dr Hilary on GMTV said its the GP's call if they do it before the age of 25 and he said that if a patient under 25 requested one in his surgery they would do it - I'm also sure that if they you went to a family planning chinic they would do it for you.

I am quite sure that everyone should have access to a family planning clinic/well woman centre where you can have a smear annonymously. I'm a real woos when it come to medical proceedures when it comes to exposing my private parts - plus my weight causes me to be embarrassed so I always go to the family Planning Clinic rather than my GP.
    Celest

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've finally made the appointment, now I have 2 weeks to worry about it. I made the appointment at the doctors surgery because i've got to face up to the fact that I have many more smear tests to go through and to put them off because I'm afraid i'll bump into the person who did it is ridiculous.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I've finally made the appointment, now I have 2 weeks to worry about it. I made the appointment at the doctors surgery because i've got to face up to the fact that I have many more smear tests to go through and to put them off because I'm afraid i'll bump into the person who did it is ridiculous.
    Well done hun! You'll be fine and then next time it will be much easier xxx

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for taking the first step. The 2 wks will fly by im sure.

Try not to worry.

mertonparker.x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got everything crossed for you Mertonparker.

I had mine about a month ago (was nearly a year overdue which is really bad of me) and I had a letter about ten days later saying that the lab were unable to test as there was insufficient sample . I did think she was very quick doing it! I made another appointment straight away and am going again on Tuesday.

Although I don't really like having them (and that's part of the reason I went overdue), as has already been said a couple of minutes of possible discomfort is better than risking the alternative.

I was talking to the nurse and she said the new jab for teenagers should definetly be given but they will still have to have the smears to check for any changes, but this is now from 25 years old as research has shown they were overtesting by doing it on ladies younger.

Also, I have heard that they are trying to reduce test result waiting times to 2-3 weeks so that will be a lot better.

Anyone due or overdue for one please book the appointment today - I think what's happened to Jade is heartbreaking and I am so upset for those two little boys - I'd hate for anything similar to happen to any of you lovely people on here!

Carole x

June 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had my reminder sitting in my bedside drawer for a few months now. Must get on and book an appointment.
    Jules

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast