Thread: Ikea!

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ikea!

So ... I'm off to ikea tomorrow with DD ( to do the 'getting ready for uni' shop before the world and his wife do theirs!)

Is there anything you think I should buy for childminding purposes?

I'm still umming and ahing about the flisat table ... I use Lack tables and find them perfect ( but they've doubled in price in last couple of years! )... and I need to get a new one.
    I usually get a set of felt pens and I have random toys.

I also love the ikea strong plastic bags that come in several different sizes (including very cute tiny ones!)

Thank you in advance!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the flissat table. I loved it at first, and I 'think' I still do.

I've not been doing much indoor messy play recently (as in rice etc) - and it is good for that. It's also good for 'hiding' a few bits and bobs in over the weekend, ready to use on Monday, because the trays are useful storage and can be covered up with the lid. I see a few childminders use the table with water, but I don't think that would be great with the wooden frame. You can make beautiful set ups with them - they do lend themselves well to that. If you do get it, you might want to consider the board that you can clip onto the back of it, because you can add display bits.

I also love the plastic bags. I use the big ones as bookbags for the children to borrow books.

The flannels are great - although I wish they did colours other than white.

Bit random, but we had a couple of fake plants from there and the little ones use them a lot in their small world play - mostly for the dinosaurs.

Bowls, plates, bibs

Hmmm, can't think of what else ...

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I might get the table... I currently use a large potting tray on a lack table and it's perfect ... exceptthey can push the tray off the table. I don't think I'd use the flisat for water either.

Good call .. I might get more flannels ... mine have all turned grey! We use them for everything you'd use kitchen towel for!

I have fake grass 'samples' that the children love... so a few fake plants sound like a great idea. Thanks x

Now ... the 'problem' being that DH is coming too ... if I get the table ... he'll want to know which of my other tables I'm getting rid of! .... and I won't be ... just re-arranging

5. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We live so far away from Ikea
    Pixie Dust

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well .... we're on our way home (90 min drive!)

I didn't buy the table ... decided that as it would be the table the children sat at to eat, it would get in the gaps where the lids fit! I did Google and find covers for whole table or think about making one, but it seemed like an added faff ... so I'll keep it on my 'maybe' list! I looked at the lack tables, but mine are OK at the moment! If a little battered. They only had boring colours too! I might have been tempted by a bright green one!

I did buy fake plants, new flannels, pens, paper, play kitchen whisk etc set, more storage boxes and random trays and dishes! Plus biscuits and meatballs! oh, and plastic bags!

DD has got pretty much everything she needed for September... but I expect by September there will be 101 other things she needs

We won't go for a couple of years again now!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 10-06-2023 at 12:59 PM.

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, meatballs! Do your mindees like the meatballs?

Have you tried the vegetarian meatball from there? We did, and we didn't like them one bit, and I usually love veggie food.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We love ikea meatballs and all the minded children like meatballs too!

Not tried the veggie ikea ones. I think it's birds eye veggie meatballs we like/ or someones own brand ! Usually have them in the freezer for any 'emergency' veggie meals!

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd wanted a Flisat table for ages, but couldn't justify the price. Then I saw one for sale on FB market place and paid £5 for it...an absolute bargain! The lids are a bit tatty, so I could do with covering them, but the rest of the table is in very good condition.
    I bought a oil cloth cover for it from Etsy and that's great. It makes it very versatile. We can use the table for craft and eating without fear of marking the wood. Now that I can see how they cover's made, I'll try making some of my own in different designs.

Our Ikea is quite close by so I go quite regularly. I always get the food bags in all sizes and use them for all sorts of things.
    I've also got quite a few of these. They're great for storing the children's sleep mats and bedding, but for toys as well.

PARKLA, Storage case, 55x49x19 cm - IKEA

15. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'd wanted a Flisat table for ages, but couldn't justify the price. Then I saw one for sale on FB market place and paid £5 for it...an absolute bargain! The lids are a bit tatty, so I could do with covering them, but the rest of the table is in very good condition.
    I bought a oil cloth cover for it from Etsy and that's great. It makes it very versatile. We can use the table for craft and eating without fear of marking the wood. Now that I can see how they cover's made, I'll try making some of my own in different designs.

Our Ikea is quite close by so I go quite regularly. I always get the food bags in all sizes and use them for all sorts of things.
    I've also got quite a few of these. They're great for storing the children's sleep mats and bedding, but for toys as well.

PARKLA, Storage case, 55x49x19 cm - IKEA
    Ooooo, we bought some of those for DD to take to college with her in September!

That was a bargain table Mouse! ... do the children not manage to get food under the cover? I start my littlies sitting at the table from about 15/16 mths and some of them make soooooo much mess!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Ooooo, we bought some of those for DD to take to college with her in September!

That was a bargain table Mouse! ... do the children not manage to get food under the cover? I start my littlies sitting at the table from about 15/16 mths and some of them make soooooo much mess!
    No, the cloth very slightly overhangs the table and is held in place by elastic at each corner. I've had under 2s using it and so far, so good!

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    No, the cloth very slightly overhangs the table and is held in place by elastic at each corner. I've had under 2s using it and so far, so good!
    That's good to know...I was looking at the covers and thinking my tribe would ping it off and make a mess!