Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Milk of choice

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Milk of choice

How many different types of milk do you provide?

I have only ever provided cows milk, but I am getting more and more parents asking for alternatives - and not because of allergies. I'm happy to cater for allergies or dietary requirements where I can, as they are more than likely discussed at initial parent visits anyway, but parents preferences (which aren't expressed at the parent visits) are starting to stress me out!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only provide full fat cow's milk at the moment but that's because nobody has ever asked for any thing else. I know one of the children has an alternative milk at home due to too much dairy seems to cause eczema to flare up. I have said to parents about getting in a different milk for them but they said no it's fine for them to have cow's milk when they are here.

When my youngest comes home for a visit we have to get lactose free milk in for him as that's all he can have due to a medical condition. I am amazed how many alternative milks are out there now!
    Pixie Dust

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We just have cows milk too!

I used to have soya milk for a dairy free child, and DD would have it too. These days DD uses oat milk and I don't have anyone needing 'non dairy' milk.

To be honest, as it is nigh on impossible to buy small cartons of any alternative milk other than Alpro ( or at least, it was! I haven't looked for a while as DD can tolerate cows milk that has been 'cooked' and she also has lactase tablets which help, as it appears to be lactose that she has an intolerance too ), that unless the child is coming most days, and drinking a lot of milk, I think I might be asking parents to send some, as otherwise it is just a waste.

Asda do small cartons of Chocolate Oat Milk which DD likes and is useful to have, as it is also half the price of the Alpro chocolate 'milk' drink!

I think I would be saying to parents that I would obviously cater to a medical/dietary need with milk ( as it is also then dairy free cheese/yogurt/butter as well ) but parental preference needs to be provided by them, as otherwise, they then might attempt to stipulate was bread was bought, what baked beans were provided ( I did have a friend who had a minded child who would 'only' eat heinz !!! ) etc.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    We just have cows milk too!

I used to have soya milk for a dairy free child, and DD would have it too. These days DD uses oat milk and I don't have anyone needing 'non dairy' milk.

To be honest, as it is nigh on impossible to buy small cartons of any alternative milk other than Alpro ( or at least, it was! I haven't looked for a while as DD can tolerate cows milk that has been 'cooked' and she also has lactase tablets which help, as it appears to be lactose that she has an intolerance too ), that unless the child is coming most days, and drinking a lot of milk, I think I might be asking parents to send some, as otherwise it is just a waste.

Asda do small cartons of Chocolate Oat Milk which DD likes and is useful to have, as it is also half the price of the Alpro chocolate 'milk' drink!

I think I would be saying to parents that I would obviously cater to a medical/dietary need with milk ( as it is also then dairy free cheese/yogurt/butter as well ) but parental preference needs to be provided by them, as otherwise, they then might attempt to stipulate was bread was bought, what baked beans were provided ( I did have a friend who had a minded child who would 'only' eat heinz !!! ;) ) etc.

Oh my goodness! I wouldn't put it past a particular one of my parents to try that actually! In fact, DH and I were joking about that exact scenario the other day! We have just switched from Heinz to a cheaper brand.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only provide semi-skimmed cows milk.

If a child needs an alternative, or parents chose an alternative, they provide it.

My usual fee is fully inclusive of all food, nappies, wipes etc, but I offer a slight discount if parents chose to send their own. The children who eat anything and everything tend to be on the fully inclusive rate. The ones who are on a different diet (vegetarian, dairy free, fussy eaters) tend to send food in. It works really well.

9. Likes Maza liked this post