Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 7th Jan weekly chat

Happy Monday everyone!

Did you all have a good weekend? Our weather was a bit miserable - wet, cold & windy -so we didn't go far from home. It was quite nice having a relaxed couple of days indoors.

Monday is my favourite day of the week. I have a late start and have the best combination of children. The day goes by in a flash and it's always such good fun The only issue I have is with the new starter's sleep, or lack of it! Mum says he sleeps for 2-3 hours at home. Here I'm lucky if he has half an hour. He's a happy little chap and doesn't seem overly tired, but it would be nice if he could stretch his sleep to at least an hour so I get more time on activities with the older ones.

What's everyone got planned for the week? I found some lovely wooden hearts on Amazon, so we're going to be painting them ready for Valentine's Day.

Has anyone got anything planned for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee? I was thinking about it yesterday and thought I might do a theme around the Royal Family so that by the time we get to the main event in June (is it June?), the children have got some idea of what it's all about!

Enjoy your week

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mouse .....have we time travelled back to January as it says week beginning 7th Jan

We had terrible weather all weekend so stayed indoors all nice and cosy but today has been nice, winter sunshine a blue sky.
    I was thinking about the Queen's Jubilee last night and what to plan for it and when.

We have some little wooden hearts that the children like to draw around, lots of red card out if they want to make a card. I have mainly little ones at the moment so special days don't mean much to them.

Is everyone working next week ? its half term here next week.

Have a good week.....it does seem to have gone very quiet on here
    Pixie Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello all

Busy weekend and managed a flat tyre, so as car was already booked in today for 2 new tyres ... I had 4! Cos typically the flat was in a different tyre

I think we're heading into fairyland ... got a couple of little girls obsessed with fairy wings and tutus!

I was wondering about doing something about Olympics, but I'm not really hearing much about them at all. And yes, I thought I might introduce the Queen into play, so they know what's what come June ! ... that is definitely British Values! ...
    I don't do anything for valentines day with the children unless it falls on a working day.

I've got a few obsessed by writing at the moment, so we're spending alot of time on that, and they love that they do it at the 'big table' ... mainly because my babies can reach all the pens etc on the table that the under 5s use!

I've had a run of poorly children and yet another was in hospital at the weekend, and now has a puffer and another in in overnight being monitored .... I've been sent photos of child looking really poorly all day in the pead unit. The minute they decide they're staying in and they go onto children's ward .. child perks up and is full of beans! Fingers crossed they'll be home tomorrow. Not one of them with covid though!

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much happened with me at the weekend. I did Parkrun with DD as normal and then I think the weather was pretty rubbish the rest of the weekend.

I've had a nice morning today. I only have one on a Tuesday. I decided that we should go for a cup of tea and cake in a cafe - focus on being in the community, learning to wait for things and some new vocab! Then we went to a playground we've never been to before. Apparently the LO had an unsettled night so I'm hoping for a long nap.

I wanted to ask if anyone here does term time only care? I currently have one child all year round for 2 days a week and one term time only for 2 days, one of the days overlaps. I've decided I don't want to work anymore than the two days in the school holidays so it frees me up spend time with my children and take them back down South sometimes to see family and friends, without having to book the time off. But I'm conscious that it will put people off choosing me!

5. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisha View Post
    Not much happened with me at the weekend. I did Parkrun with DD as normal and then I think the weather was pretty rubbish the rest of the weekend.

I've had a nice morning today. I only have one on a Tuesday. I decided that we should go for a cup of tea and cake in a cafe - focus on being in the community, learning to wait for things and some new vocab! Then we went to a playground we've never been to before. Apparently the LO had an unsettled night so I'm hoping for a long nap.

I wanted to ask if anyone here does term time only care? I currently have one child all year round for 2 days a week and one term time only for 2 days, one of the days overlaps. I've decided I don't want to work anymore than the two days in the school holidays so it frees me up spend time with my children and take them back down South sometimes to see family and friends, without having to book the time off. But I'm conscious that it will put people off choosing me!
    Hi Ellisha. sounds like a nice day, and i hope they had a long nap!

I do a mix of termtime only and full year round care. I have about half and half ( and i also have a set of siblings who only come in the holidays!! ) i only work 4 days a week regardless of termtime or holiday, but when my children were younger ( 10 + years ago ) I used to work fulltime in termtime, and then only tues/wed/thurs in the holidays. It didn't really seem to be an issue as most parents could find alternative cover. you can but try! If you put it to parents that yes, there are 12/13 weeks of holidays, but you could be taking 4 weeks of that OFF as holiday, and then bank holidays etc, so it isn't necessarily so many days you are not working. ( as long as Monday is one of the days you are not working! )
    good luck xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Half way through the week

Hope everyone is having a good week. I finally feel back to normal after being knocked for 6 with a virus. We have chickenpox doing the rounds just to add to the fun alongside all the other bugs that are about at the moment! Loocyloo hope your little ones are on the mend.

Ellisha well done on doing the Parkrun I would not be able to do that.

We have enjoyed getting out in the fresh air this week, non one has asked to go in because they are cold.

Did anyone catch any of the Brits last night, I have decided I am far to old for any of that anymore. Didn't know many of the artists. I am sure it used to be more pop culture based.

Just to add in answer to your question Ellisha I am the same as Loocyloo and have a mixture of term time and all year round children. I am sure there are childminders out there that only do term time only. I have a few teacher's children so they only want term time which works well for me.
    Last edited by Pixie dust; 09-02-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    Pixie Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK! Own up! Who ran away and hid the end of this week? One moment it was Wednesday and suddenly it's Saturday morning!

I had a good week. My poorly children are all greatly improved, and excepting a very tired madam, everyone has been brilliant.

I bought some cosytoes for my outnabout as I was fed up with tucking blankets in and them being kicked off.... they are supposed to be compatible... well they do fit, but are nigh on impossible to zip up around a wriggly small child! Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and actually buy outnabout ones I have one on my single and it's easy to use!

I also need to buy a couple of 1yr birthday presents ... I usually get those galt pop up people, or the hide and squeak eggs .... does anyone have any other suggestions? I have bought an electronic flashing remote toy thing in the past ( as I knew one child already had the other 2 items ) but I don't really like giving an electronic toy.

Anyone have any exciting plans for this weekend? Have fun everyone.