Good morning Monday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Monday

It's going to be another quiet week for me with some of the children off on holiday. One of the children I've got in today only arrived back from their holiday late last night, so they're tired already. On top of that, the weather is appalling so we're going to have a quiet day indoors. They're currently all playing happily with the dolls, so I'm letting them get on with it. When they're ready we're going to move on to play dough. I always find that's a relaxing activity for them.

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow as I'm planning on taking the children out for lunch at a local farm. One of them is leaving for school in a couple of weeks and this week is ideal as I won't have any of the youngest ones here. I had another child leave a couple of weeks back, so I've invited him along as well. We had a little party when he finished, but I thought it would be nice to do something with both of the ones who are going to school in September. They're going to be in the same class so it'll be good for them to meet up again before school starts.

Has anyone got anything nice planned for the week? I hope those of you on holiday get some decent weather wherever you've gone.

Have good days everyone!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very quiet start to the week with just one this morning all the others are off today for various reasons. The little one goes after lunch so I have the rest of the afternoon off so I am popping in to town to get a birthday card and go to the bank then hopefully get a few admin bits sorted ready for September.

I haven't made any plans this week as everyone seems to be dropping days last minute so I am going to see what each day brings. The weather is supposed to be getting better this week so hopefully you will enjoy your lunch out Mouse.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
    Pixie Dust

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Got new 9 math old started today and two other children.
    Local childminder is panicking about new Eyfs saying got to do own curriculum etc so I’ve sent off for updated developers matters for a read.

Anyone else doing anything major September. I do a lot of what I think it covers.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not changing anything. I guess a couple of sub headings will change on the bits of paper work that I do, but in practice I won't do anything differently.

I see a lot of minders on fb are setting up activities to do with dental health.

My first day off today. DH and I went to a 'new to us' library this morning to get some books for our holiday on Wednesday. What did I get?..."Can't you Sleep Little Bear"! I can't find my copy and I've been wanting to read it to the mindees for a while now. DH rolled his eyes

This new library was right next to a nursery. I could hear a little one absolutely breaking her heart the whole time I was browsing. It was 12.30, so he/she was either resisting nap time or was new and missing their family. Whilst I felt sad for the little one, I was so happy it wasn't me looking after him/her.

6. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not changing much for September. I haven’t done learning journals or regular written observations for about 5 or 6 years. All I do are the 2 year progress checks and the occasional written observation if I think there’s an issue.

For dental health I’ve added a question to my child record form asking if the child is registered with a dentist and space for me to note if I’ve given any advice about getting them registered.

I’ve now got my copies of the new EYFS, the Development Matters and the Birth to 5 Matters. I just need to get round to reading them!

8. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Got new 9 math old started today and two other children.
    Local childminder is panicking about new Eyfs saying got to do own curriculum etc so I’ve sent off for updated developers matters for a read.

Anyone else doing anything major September. I do a lot of what I think it covers.
    I watched an Ofsted webinar recently that talked about the curriculum. I really don’t think it’s as complicated as some people think it is. It’s basically knowing what you want the children to learn and how you’re going to get them to learn it….or something like that!

10. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I’m not changing much for September. I haven’t done learning journals or regular written observations for about 5 or 6 years. All I do are the 2 year progress checks and the occasional written observation if I think there’s an issue.

For dental health I’ve added a question to my child record form asking if the child is registered with a dentist and space for me to note if I’ve given any advice about getting them registered.

I’ve now got my copies of the new EYFS, the Development Matters and the Birth to 5 Matters. I just need to get round to reading them!

DD was having a singing lesson this morning .... I finally read through my copies of new EYFS, DM and Birth-5 whilst i listened !!! I don't think anything has really changed, except the wording !!!

I'm going to carry on pretty much doing as i do! I do daily diaries for under 3's, and for the past 18 months my observations have been more a photo with a comment, rather than checking off what area of development it covered, so i shall carry on like that, and as you say - any concerns, then i'll do a focused observation. I like the 'new' DM, as i've always found children develop outside of age boundaries in some areas, so i like it being more generic. BUT, i can see that if you are new to the world of childcare, then you will feel lost without the back up of child development knowledge. ( having done the NNEB, and worked with children for more than 30 yrs ( ) i think i have child development tattooed on my brain!
    I do do, and will keep my LJs ... i like them, and don't particularly find them a faff. I will still do 2 yr check

I think i've seen that video too ... 'curriculum is basically the INTENT & IMPLEMENTATION of the current EYFS and then the IMPACT is how it went and what you are going to do next'.

There are some good webinars on Childcare.co.uk, that gold members can watch again, or anyone can sign up to join in with a 'live' webinar. There is also a whole load of 'new' EYFS stuff on Childcare.co.uk that Sarah Neville has put together. It's very good. Changes to the EYFS from September 2021 - Childcare.co.uk

I too have added a question about who the childs/families dentist is, and we'll continue to talk about healthy food/drinking water/not eating lots of sweet things outside of meal times etc. I've heard about childminders getting toothbrushes to use at theirs, but i'm not going down that route. I've seen a peppa pig goes to the dentist book i think i'll get to pop in the book box too!

Having been off for a couple of weeks, I can't get my head back into 'work' mode! DD has an orthodontic appt tomorrow, so we'll do that, and then head to the nearby beach! and actually, apart from making a few dates to see friends, i'm not going to aim to particularly do any planning for the holidays! I have some craft ideas/kits i want to do/use, so i shall put all those in a 'holiday' box, and go from there.

12. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I too have added a question about who the childs/families dentist is, and we'll continue to talk about healthy food/drinking water/not eating lots of sweet things outside of meal times etc. I've heard about childminders getting toothbrushes to use at theirs, but i'm not going down that route. I've seen a peppa pig goes to the dentist book i think i'll get to pop in the book box too!
    I really do think parents should take the responsibility for cleaning their child's teeth in the morning. It should be part of their morning routine. I have done it occasionally, if a parent's asked me to, but it's not something I'm going to get into doing.

I've got the Peppa Pig dentist book. I got it from the Works in their 10 for £10 book section. Until you'd mentioned it I forgot I even had it!

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll probably see tons of dentist books on the market now. I'm sure I've got one somewhere. It might be a Topsy and Tim one. The Selfish Crocodile is about a crocodile who has toothache - if I remember correctly it is quite sweet and not gruesome.

We'll have to remind each other to make sure they are on the bookshelf when Mrs O comes to visit!

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you all doing a letter to parents telling them about the new eyfs?

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Are you all doing a letter to parents telling them about the new eyfs?
    I always update my paperwork for September, so I've just added a note to the covering letter saying that due to the introduction of the new EYFS framework, some of the questions may be different to normal.

20. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I always update my paperwork for September, so I've just added a note to the covering letter saying that due to the introduction of the new EYFS framework, some of the questions may be different to normal.
    I've added it to my newsletter that goes home in September, along with updated 'all about me' forms ( that will have info about dentist added ) Not that i've actually written my September newsletter yet! That is usually done the first week of term, when I remember all the things I want to ask/remind parents! like waterproofs/suitable clothing, hats & gloves, spare clothes etc ( but it is on the 'draft' copy! )

OOOOoo, Thanks for the reminder about the selfish crocodile Maza ... I've got that SOMEWHERE! I went looking for a present in my 'gift box', and discovered i had the peppa pig book in there ... from a 10 for £10 works buy a while ago

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees love the selfish crocodile. Why didn’t I think of that book? I’m soooo dim sometimes.

Last year I made a activity box all about teeth and a model mouth with teeth so I could show them how to brush. After the activity they went home with a toothbrush ( new) and a little egg timer. Did I subconsciously suspect this was coming up?no just a coincidence!

Dug it out yesterday how smug I felt 😀😀😀 unfortunately it’s more suitable for 3+ so now I will have to adapt for babies/ toddlers.

2 of the activities is to make a toothbrush sticking the bristles on and a mouth sticking teeth in. Just thought I’d share.

24. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post