Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good afternoon Wednesday

Phew...it's hot out there!

A couple of weeks back I was complaining about all the rain we were getting and now I'm having to stop myself from complaining that it's too hot!! We've been heading out into the garden as soon as the children are all here, then coming in at lunchtime and spending a bit of time indoors. I find some children could last outside all day, but others get wiped out by the heat.

Dragonfly, I chickened out of adding food colouring to the water table yesterday! The children had such beautiful summer clothes on and I didn't want to risk getting them stained. I remember years ago I took a little boy to a play session and he spent the whole time painting. He had an apron on but his cream shorts still ended up covered in paint. The person running the session reassured me the paints were washable...they weren't!! I washed his shorts twice before he went home but the colour never did come out. Luckily his mum was very understanding

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh mouse, I always say to parents not to send children in in smart clothes as though I use aprons they still get dirty. I have a child who comes in smart clothes and I’m constantly thinking please don’t get paint on them but what’s sadder is the child gets worried if they gets their clothes dirty, though don’t believe they gets in trouble. I washed their clothes the other day too !
    Crayola paint really stains and also one from the works.

It’s soo hot today. Children are in for the day now 2 napping one drawing.

I will now look out for summer books.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I often add food colouring to the water. I find that once it is diluted it doesn't stain, although maybe I wouldn't chance it with white/cream/pastel nice clothes.

Mouse, yesterday you asked about my new children and settling in. I've got the first one starting tomorrow for a full day. I'm not looking forward to it because she was upset on her settling in session, but hey ho.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh good luck tomorrow Maza.

It's been very hot here, but a big dark grey cloud is edging over and it's got a bit cooler!

We've been out and about, but played alot in the garden, but under the sun shelter.

I too have children who come in 'nice' clothes and I'm always saying, 'it doesn't matter if it gets dirty, it will wash' but I am aware that some things don't come out! Sometimes even mud never quite comes out! I always ask that they come in clothes that can get mud/ paint/ etc on them, and if they don't, after a while I 'assume' that these are 'obviously' play clothes as they keep wearing them to mine, and we just get them dirty! Like the parent who sent child in sparkly white pumps on a 'woods' day .... she asked if I could try to keep them clean .
    .. ummmm no! Not on a wet and muddy day!

6. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a lovely morning at a local nature reserve then we came home and stayed inside until it was time to do the school run. I have one little one who doesn't like the heat and sunshine while the others would stay out all day.

Hope everything goes ok tomorrow Maza, how many settling in sessions do you do as I am now booking mine in for later in the summer ready for September . I normally do 2 one really short one then a little bit longer but I am a bit worried how they are going to settle as they are both quite young and one of the mums is nervous about leaving them too.
    Pixie Dust

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie dust I offer two hours free of charge. Parents can either split it into two hourly sessions or lump them together and do the two hours as one session. If they want more they can, but they must pay for it. Some take more and build up to a full day, but most just do the two hours and then go to full days.

I did have one of my new mums ask if she could split the two hours into half hour sessions, but I wasn't too keen on that as the amount of faffing about dropping them off and picking them up just ends up taking a lot out of my day and stops me focusing on other mndees. Maybe I'm being mean.

I would be interested to hear what others offer.

10. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck for tomorrow Maza. I've been very lucky with my most recent starters and they've all come in happily from day one. It does make it a lot easier!

I offer 2 free settling in sessions, up to an hour at a time, although most parents only end up using one. I wouldn't do 4 half hour sessions. If parents only wanted to do half an hour at a time I would offer 2 half hour sessions and they would have to pay for any more.

12. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to do a half hour and then an hour settling session, but now I'm just offering 2 half hours. Long enough for child to have a little play and quick enough to learn that mum comes back! They have the other children to distract them.
    Parents are handing over at door and going, and I think it's working better than parent coming in and playing, then leaving, as child isn't expecting parent to be somewhere in the house! I have had parent and child to play together a couple of weeks prior to this. .... helps me to see how child is with mum and vice versa. But this has been at a time I'm not working.

Good luck x

14. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the first lockdown started parents have been dropping off and collecting at the front door. Children expect this now and it’s soooo much better . I don’t want it to change!

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post