Good morning Wednesday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Wednesday

It looks like we're going to have a repeat of yesterday's weather - sunny in the morning, torrential rain in the afternoon - so we're just waiting for the last child to arrive and we'll go out for a walk to the library. We'll pass 3 charity shops on the way, so I'll have a peer through the window, but I don't expect I'll be as lucky in my finds as Maza is!

I am looking forward to better weather and going back to the carboot sales at the weekends. Through the pre-covid summers I used to try and go once a month, either to sell or buy. I always found such random things that were good for the children to play with. It's just a shame they always start so early!

This evening I'm doing an online training session from 6.30 - 8.30. Hopefully that means I'll be finished in plenty of time for Sewing Bee. Much as I used to complain about going out to evening training courses, I am looking forward to them starting up again so I can see people in person. I've got my first aid course in a couple of weeks and I'm already treating that like a day out - what will I wear, planning my packed lunch, checking who else is going to be there! It'll be the highlight of my social life for the next few months

Enjoy your days everyone. Hopefully you'll stay dry of you have an afternoon school run to do

2. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of charity shops...last week I saw a pair of old fashioned brass balance scales. I was so tempted, (£10) but I didn't do it. I think I might have been thinking about instagram worthy photos rather than mindees. Does anyone else have them? Do your mindees play with them? I had a look for them yesterday but they had gone - probably snapped up by another childminder!

When I look at some of the photos of the curiosity approach type of settings, I find that I am spotting things that my mum had when we were growing up - old ornaments, shell shaped spoons (which I hated at the time) and a silver coloured tea pot, jug and sugar bowl, which I also thought was massive clutter. Goblets seem to be quite popular in outdoor kitchens too.

4. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see things in charity shops and think oh I love that, then I can see how it would be used as a weapon and don't get it! I'd love to see some of these "set ups" actually in use or after use!

I do like a mooch around a carboot, but wish they didn't start so early!

We're pottering around with no school runs today! Making the most of it as come September, i'll be back to school runs every day!

Just had an email from the Hygge wanderlust lady. June will be the last month she does a subscription box. It's become too popular and time consuming. It's a shame, but I do understand.

Stay safe everyone xx

6. Likes Dragonfly, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No more hygge boxes? That's a real shame. I see that Kimberly is writing a book - so that must be taking up lots of her time. I did notice she wasn't advertising them like she used to do. It's a shame she didn't complete a whole year of them. I think she must be at that point in her business where she almost needs to employ someone to help her as it has grown so much. Oh I'm so sad about that!

8. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the silver teapot, sugar bowl etc in my out door kitchen brilliant! Charity shop buys before pandemic.

10. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

P.s you have to watch ladles , serving spoons aren’t used as a weapon as loocyloo said!

12. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have the silver teapot, sugar bowl etc in my out door kitchen brilliant! Charity shop buys before pandemic.
    I also have it now! I did laugh at the irony of me actually paying for it, even if it was just a charity shop price, because I really did hate it when I was growing up!

14. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a stainless steel tea set a couple of years ago from a car boot sale, along with goblets

They’ve always been hugely popular with the children and they last so well, despite getting wet and dirty and living outside.

16. Likes loocyloo, Maza, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame about the wanderlust subscription boxes, there does seem to be quite a few subscription boxes out there now, we had a seed one for a few months but we ours didn't grow that well

It has turned out quite nice this afternoon after a very rainy start so we have been out in the garden playing with all the rainwater that collected in the various pots and pans we have in the mud kitchen. Can I just say we have a stainless steel teapot and a gravy boat which the children love and like you have all said they are very hard wearing unlike the china teapot we had that got dropped on the floor ! I do love what The Curiosity Approach do, I do know someone who has done the accreditation with them but it so expensive I just couldn't justify spending that much money on training.

Good luck with your training tonight Mouse hope it's something interesting, I am doing a Kinderly webinar about the new EYFS this evening hopefully it will be good.
    Pixie Dust

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Pixie dust now I've added a gravy boat as well as goblets to my shopping list! I also looked at the curiosity accreditation and couldn't believe how expensive it was. I would love to do that and the main hygge course, but I just can't justify the cost and don't see how it would help get new business, so I would just be doing it for fun really. Then after I spent all the money on the courses, I would feel like I needed to then spend a fortune on resources!

20. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has anyone seen the mud & bloom subscription boxes?

My friend has just sent me a link as she has bought one for her nephew. They look interesting, and you either get enough stuff for 1 or 2 children. I was wondering how 'easy' it would be to get 'more' of whatever it is! I don't think i'll get one though!

I've been thinking about the Hygge boxes, and actually, with the years worth of 'planning' from the wanderlust nature course, i think i can 'do my own', it was just nice getting 'provocation' ideas such as the grapat or what have you!

22. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was looking at the mud and bloom boxes too. They do look nice, but I'm spending too much money in charity shops at the moment, so I'd better not get one.

The activity ideas in the hygge boxes were nice, but like you say, we were given enough ideas really on the wanderlust course. The first thing I always did was look for the concrete bits and bobs in there. There was some lovely stuff.

24. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've ended up buying a set of the grapat pieces to add to play set ups!

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish I knew what you both are talking about.hygge, wanderlust, grapat!

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Wish I knew what you both are talking about.hygge, wanderlust, grapat!
    'Hygge' is a Danish concept that doesn't really translate in to an English word as such but it's about being being present in the moment, being cosy and finding joy in even the simplest of things so snuggled up reading a book, enjoy the company of friends or enjoying that quiet moment first thing in the morning with that lovely hot cup of tea. That's the short version.

'Wanderlust' is a nature study course that has a different theme each week rain/rocks/bees/rainbows/seeds.

Some of us follow Hygge in the early years who designed the wanderlust course and we bought some of her subscription boxes which had some Grapat loose parts in then

Grapat is company that makes loose parts play resources.

Hope that helps
    Pixie Dust

30. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    'Hygge' is a Danish concept that doesn't really translate in to an English word as such but it's about being being present in the moment, being cosy and finding joy in even the simplest of things so snuggled up reading a book, enjoy the company of friends or enjoying that quiet moment first thing in the morning with that lovely hot cup of tea. That's the short version.

'Wanderlust' is a nature study course that has a different theme each week rain/rocks/bees/rainbows/seeds.

Some of us follow Hygge in the early years who designed the wanderlust course and we bought some of her subscription boxes which had some Grapat loose parts in then

Grapat is company that makes loose parts play resources.

Hope that helps
    Thanks Pixie xxx