Good morning Wednesday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Wednesday

I’ve got a 9.30am start this morning so just time to post before the first child arrives!

It looks like it’s going to be a nice day today so we’ll head out into the garden once everyone’s here. I’ve got some long lengths of guttering out so we’re going to start by making a course for balls to roll down. We’ll progress to pouring water once I feel mentally prepared for dealing with soggy children

I can hear shouting outside - the little dynamo is here!

Have good days everyone. I hope the sun is shining for you

2. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No mindees this week, but having my two grandsons while DD1 is training for her new job. But they are staying home with her today. So I’ve made soup for lunch, done my skipping( something new I started) and now going for a walk in the rain. My partner has bought a Nintendo switch so I’ll try and learn how to use it. Failing that I’ll have to get my grandson to teach me tomorrow. Have a good day everyone

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Morning!

I've got 2 little ones running round the garden not requiring any input from me! It's lovely out.. not particularly cold, dry with a bit of sun!

We've got tubes&guttering and balls out too! Mine is in a different bit of the garden to the water tray, so I'm hoping they don't think about water ! The balls are going down the slides and tubes.

I've been round the garden collecting moss ( I have LOTS! ) to grow in some trays, ready for the Easter Garden at Church. Usually we send the children searching round the graveyard ( that sounds wrong, but we have a few places that moss grows really well! ) but won't really be able to do that, nor have children dropped off to help, so I thought I'd get ahead of myself! I'm thinking of planting_sowing some little grass trays with the minded children for Easter Gardens too.

Stay warm and have fun everyone xxx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My guttering is out also! For balls and cars to roll down.
    Today before we went out the children made potions with herbs, dried flower petals, leaves coloured water bicarbonate and vinegar. They had great fun and cutting herbs and using syringes good for fine motor.

Having a rest now so it’s peaceful for half an hour.

Anyone collected ladybirds lately? We collected them and put in a observation tank in the garden a little bit of sunshine and warmth and they start crawling about the cold stay asleep.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oooo Dragonfly, we were watching ladybirds this morning. Mindees wanted to feed them, but I wasn't sure what. I googled and apart from aphids, it says you can give them raisins or lettuce. We got some lettuce, but they had flown off.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh loocyloo that's so typical lol! We also saw a ladybird the other day. Blue tits are in and out of my neighbours nesting box too - and it's right next to our fence so we get a free show!

We were in the garden most of the morning. We were using the outdoor kitchen with water and pine cones - I almost got the guttering out! I'm determined to fall in love with my garden (for childminding purposes - I love it for family purposes). Where I lived before I had a flat garden, but this one is on different levels and so I have to really be on top of the toddler age group in case they go too near an edge, so it's not really relaxing. It's on a bit of a slope too, so some parts are really treacherous after a wet day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How funny that so many of us had the guttering out today

We ended up just using balls and cars. The children didn't mention water, so neither did I

9. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any ladybirds yet. I didn't know they appeared this early.

Despite having a very natural garden (wild and unkempt!) we get very few ladybirds. I wonder if some of the other inhabitants eat them before they get chance to grow.

I do remember years ago we were in Scarborough and there were thousands of ladybirds. They covered the pavements, walls, bushes etc. It was quite a sight.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse, I wonder if that was the same year we were in Blackpool - they were absolutely everywhere. It was really freaky.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember a few years ago when we had so many ladybirds about. I was out walking in fields with the children and their t-shirts were smothered in them.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

The lady birds are hibernating at the moment . We find them on a bridge where there is moss. Lots about.
    If they are crawling about it must be warm for them.

Thank you loocyloo I didn’t know they like lettuce and raisins.

Ooh Maza maybe you can put some sort of section up when the weather gets better so toddlers can’t go near any slopes etc that would put your mind at rest when in the garden.

I have a one step down to another level and I have a old baby dan? Opened up to become a fence with gate. So they can only go down the step by opening the gate.Plan to have a wooden one made this spring just so it looks better . But serves a purpose and makes it safe for toddlers / crawlers.

14. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

Thank you loocyloo I didn’t know they like lettuce and raisins.

YOu have to soak the raisins in warm water for X time ... ( can't remember! ) But their favoured food is of course Aphids! xx

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, soak raisins for ladybirds, think l will let them go when they wake to find their own food hopefully in my garden!

18. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone doing the caterpillars this year? We used to love doing them but haven't done them for the last few years. I wonder when is the best time to order them?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't done caterpillars for a while ... I was thinking about doing them this year, but I find it very stressful! No idea of best time! Sorry!

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We did caterpillars the year before last. We got them at the end of April and released them in June. Typically they hatched over a weekend, so although the children missed that, they were here when we released them.

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a caterpillar over wintering in my shed. Last winter I had two elephant hawk caterpillars over wintering in the garage, they were a great success.

I have people ring me up and say “ I’ve found a caterpillar do you want it?” If it’s a hawk or privet yes as they are great to watch change. I use a glass hexagon fish tank with netting over the top.

The one in the shed at the moment is a lime something I wrote it on the container, not had that one before but found it in a town a few miles away when we were not in lockdown.

Usually do frog spawn in a fish tank also. But since filling our pond in will now have to ask someone with a pond for some

Have a good weekend everyone.

25. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dragonfly, that's amazing! I wish I had your knowledge - it would be so much more exciting watching them like you are doing, and learning about the different varieties too. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Does your profile name have something to do with your love of nature?

27. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree Maza, that is amazing.

29. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does Maza , I love nature, one of my favourite things is dragonflies especially watching them on a warm sunny day by a river.

31. Likes Maza liked this post