Good morning Monday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Monday

These Monday mornings seem to come round quickly!

We've got a lovely sunny day today, although it is a bit cold. The children are just having their snack and then we're off into the garden until lunch time. Over the weekend I noticed we've had some flowers come through that we planted a while back. That'll be exciting for them to see. The shoots came through quite soon after we'd planted them but I think the children got a bit bored as no much else happened after that!

This afternoon we were going to go on a walk to drop some bits off for the one child who isn't coming at the moment. But then I thought it might be a bit unfair for him to see the children all together, knowing he can't come with us. They're going to make him a picture instead and I'll go and drop the stuff off to him this evening.

This morning I've had an email from the LA saying that we're now eligible for the lateral flow rapid covid tests. The appointments are at a time and place that won't suit most early years workers, but it's nice of them to offer! Are any of you having them done? Would you have them done if they were available to you? I could go on my day off but, as I've already had covid, I don't know if I really need to. DH suffered from long covid with an awful cough lasting for months. He's seen 2 doctors. One said he should get retested as you could get it again and the other one said there's no need because he'll still have immunity so won't get it again! If I hadn't already had it I'd definitely go regularly to get tested, but I don't think I will now.

Has anyone got any exciting plans for the week ahead?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning. We've been in the garden for a big chunk of the morning and now we're back in to defrost before lunch.

DH shredded a load of old admin yesterday - so of course I have stolen some for messy play. I'm going to set it up in a big tray with the diggers for after lunch.

It's a year today since we got our puppy/dog, so we were going to make a cake too. We haven't got any eggs - we always have eggs! So, I'm going to have to look for an eggless recipe before we can bake.

I am also trying to decide which bird feeder or bird cake we could make. I don't want to buy lard especially for it (usually do, but want to cut down on spending) and mindee can't touch cheese which is what we also usually put in.

Have a lovely day everyone.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw somewhere you can make a cardboard shape I.e. a bird and spread peanut butter over shape, you may need to warm peanut butter up to make more spreadable then sprinkle bird seeds over shape, they should stick to peanut butter? Just an idea using cupboard things.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh happy defrosting!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I really struggled to get up this morning I really didn't want to get up but I forced myself out so I could walk the dog before everyone started to arrive.
    We have been outside in the garden this morning but the weather is quite grey and cold. We have been doing some sorting activities with our 'Linking families' we haven't had them out for a while and the children were so excited to see them, they have been completely engrossed with playing with them for quite a long time.

No exciting plans for this week.
    Pixie Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Afternoon!

I had a lazy morning with a lie in, and then pottered before going for a walk via the post office and dropping some bits off to a minded family. Little Mindee (4) stood on door step and shouted 'loocyloo i want to hug you' so we stood a while zooming 'super hugs' through our fingers to each other. Mum was laughing and older sibling was just rolling her eyes

Saw the air ambulance overhead as I set off for my walk, then walked round a corner and past it in a field next to the lane, where a lady had come off her horse. Fingers crossed she'll be OK. Round the next corner came across a car that had got too close to the edge of the road and slipped into the deep ditch. That was being pulled out. I was a touch wary of going round the next corner, but luckily no other calamities.

I'm now sitting with the back door open and the sun streaming in, planning this week! Nothing major planned, but I've kept all the wooden peg people/ houses etc out, so we'll continue with them and I'm thinking some sort of sensory tray .... but am not inspired yet

My LA is not offering any testing as yet ... but several of us childminders have been in touch to make our feelings known, as it is being offered to schools and maintained nurseries!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 01-02-2021 at 02:17 PM.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Not offering testing here but they did give us the chance to buy some testing kits at £7 a test think they take 30-40 mins.

Loocyloo what a walk you had!

What are linking families?

I want to do sensory tomorrow but can’t think what.🤔

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What are linking families?
    These are silicone transparent linking characters, they come in various colours blue/green/pink/yellow and can link together, easy to clean in this current climate. They also work well on a Lightbox apparently but I don't have one so wouldn't know
    Pixie Dust

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking about either magnet letters in rice tray with magnet wands

OR .... cornflour and water .... but I'm not sure I can face the mess!

Mind you .... I've yet to find a non messy sensory activity! Apart from paint/ foam etc in sealed bags .... but last time I did that one child squeezed and squeezed it and the bag popped!!!

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Corn flour and water takes along time to clear up ( best outside) you think it’s all clean then when things dry it shows up as white powdery marks.

I done foam and pasta and lentils lately. Bubbly indoor water play, warm water of course.

Magnetic letters sound good have those but no magnetic wands

Mud play is fun but will leave that for outside ( chocolate angel delight)

Linking families sound good .

So many lovely toys/ resources around. Does anyone go on Instagram childminders posts and come away feeling inadequate? They have beautiful resources and set ups but the children here wouldn’t play with it in such a neat orderly fashion.I do like looking at all the wooden things and baskets and for getting inspiration.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]So many lovely toys/ resources around. Does anyone go on Instagram childminders posts and come away feeling inadequate? They have beautiful resources and set ups but the children here wouldn’t play with it in such a neat orderly fashion.I do like looking at all the wooden things and baskets and for getting inspiration.[/QUOTE

I follow quite a lot of childminding settings and often wonder how long their set ups actually last as it wouldn't last 5 minutes here. I do find inspiration sometimes from Instagram but mine is normally a watered down version of the original. Some people seem to spend a fortune on their resources I can't justify the money at the moment and can't wait until the charity shops open again.
    Pixie Dust

16. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend told me that tests were available to us near me somewhere and some childminders have been going twice a week!! I did an antibody test last week that my daughter sent for. Results said I didn’t have any. Took little one for a walk this morning to see if we could find some items on a winter walk tick chart. It helped to keep her walking and we did find a few things. We read stories all afternoon, tucked up in the sofa together

18. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Pixie dust;1440255]
    So many lovely toys/ resources around. Does anyone go on Instagram childminders posts and come away feeling inadequate? They have beautiful resources and set ups but the children here wouldn’t play with it in such a neat orderly fashion.I do like looking at all the wooden things and baskets and for getting inspiration.[/QUOTE

I follow quite a lot of childminding settings and often wonder how long their set ups actually last as it wouldn't last 5 minutes here. I do find inspiration sometimes from Instagram but mine is normally a watered down version of the original. Some people seem to spend a fortune on their resources I can't justify the money at the moment and can't wait until the charity shops open again.

I feel the same!
    I do have A LOT of wooden toys/natural resources ( mainly from charity shops/car boots etc ) but I can set something up, blink and it's all over the floor! And depending which children are here ... anything delicate gets broken. I'd made some pringles tubes into posting tubes .... they'd survived quite a few months, last week one child managed to knock them onto the floor and squashed them

Yes ... anything messy like cornflour and water is done outside. I do have water inside, with the water tray on a couple of old sheets!

Think I'm going to do magnetic fishing with the letters, but I've also got fish with metal ends, and old metal bottle tops with numbers on. X

20. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    My friend told me that tests were available to us near me somewhere and some childminders have been going twice a week!! I did an antibody test last week that my daughter sent for. Results said I didn’t have any. Took little one for a walk this morning to see if we could find some items on a winter walk tick chart. It helped to keep her walking and we did find a few things. We read stories all afternoon, tucked up in the sofa together
    That's a nice day Sylvia xx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a good lot of wooden toys and baskets a lot from charity shops also.cant beat a rummage!
    Back in the day there used to be jumble sales/ table top sales. As long as you wash things happy to have second hand .

23. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post