It's the weekend!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's the weekend!

How's everyone doing? Is this your last relaxing weekend before a manic Christmas or is it your last manic weekend before a relaxing Christmas?

Has anyone moved into the new tier 4 or had to change their Christmas plans? We'd only got as far as making firm plans for Christmas Day, which we can still do, but we won't now arrange anything for any other days. We won't be able to see one of our sons other than on Christmas Day, which is a shame when we can see all our other children. He's the only one of us who hasn't had covid already, so I want him to stay home and keep safe! There'll be plenty of time to get together later in the year

I know it'll be tough for some people, so if your plans have had to change drastically, have a hug

Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep we are now in hibernation. I was expecting to work till Wednesday but just doing Monday now. Our Christmas plans haven’t changed but DD1 and husband and 2 boys were going round the corner to his mums and DD2 was off to Yorkshire to spent xmas with her dad and step mum. She is furious as she lives on her own, has worked all through since April and feels it’s ok to go but dad has said no. The 23rd is both their birthdays so she was planning on spending it with him for the first time in over 20 years. I really feel for her but totally understand what he says as the guide lines are no travelling in or out of the tier.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, big hugs to everyone who is having to cancel plans now.

This morning I had a prospective parent visit. I had an uneasy feeling about them before they even got here, and my goodness, I knew within seconds that I couldn't offer them the place. I was really relieved that the meeting had to be done in the garden because the two children didn't really know any boundaries and were energetic to say the least. I said from the start that I had another mum who was coming to do a second visit this afternoon and so was first in line. I have since messaged her to say that the parent asked for the space. She hasn't acknowledged my message yet, so I'm a bit tense. Has anyone else not offered a place to a parent before?

Just watching Strictly now.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sylvia, that's a shame that your family's plans will have to change. Hopefully though, the more people that stick to it, the quicker everyone can get back to some sort of normal xx

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh Sylvia, that's a shame that your family's plans will have to change. Hopefully though, the more people that stick to it, the quicker everyone can get back to some sort of normal xx
    Luckily, DD2 has us as her support bubble so she can spend the day with us so at least she doesn’t have to spend it on her own. We can still meet up together for a walk. It is what it is and we just have to get on with it. I’ve done xmas at Easter before when DD1 had a c-section on 18 December and I can do it again.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Has anyone else not offered a place to a parent before?

I had to do it a couple of years ago. I suspected the child had an undiagnosed SEN and I knew I didn't have the physical space for her. She was a big girl and would have needed a lot of space to run round. I was also already looking after a child with a SEN and knew I wouldn't be able to give adequate care to them both and the other children.

It makes you feel awful when you have to turn them down, but sometimes you know it's the right thing to do.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Luckily, DD2 has us as her support bubble so she can spend the day with us so at least she doesn’t have to spend it on her own. We can still meet up together for a walk. It is what it is and we just have to get on with it. I’ve done xmas at Easter before when DD1 had a c-section on 18 December and I can do it again.
    I think that's the best attitude to have. I've seen so many angry posts on social media, but it is what it is. From reading some posts you'd think the Government had only done this to annoy people! It must be sad and frustrating for those moving into tier 4, but needs must.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest apart from school runs I’ve virtually lived like it since March. I’m beginning to think how boring my life is as I haven’t missed anything😳

12. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly our Christmas plans have had to change as my two live too far away to come here for just the one day so we are trying to work out a meeting point in the middle to exchange gifts at some point as it's too late to post anything to them. For the first time ever I had actually ordered our Christmas food which will hopefully go in the freezer until we can meet up as there will be too much for the two of us. I must admit when I watched Boris I was devastated and did have a cry as I have only seen one of my 2 boys for the shortest amount of time this year and like many others was so looking forward to having those precious few Christmas days together but it is what it is and we have to be thankful that as a family we are all healthy and the two of them will spend Christmas together alongside DS1 girlfriend, I will be home with DH so no one will actually be on their own. I think all the emotions of working through the pandemic and giving so much to the families I work with then the disappointment just all came to a head today which is very unlike me. I have 3 more days of work then a well earned break.

On a brighter note I watched Strictly and loved it, I was happy with the winner! They were all so good x
    Pixie Dust

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Pixie dust that is tough for you. Just rotten. I hope you manage to sort something out. x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We're now home for Christmas. We were travelling south to stay with family, but although they are still in tier 2 like us, it's too far for just a day trip. We talked about driving halfway to meet ... but there isn't anywhere and it wouldn't be much fun, so we're just going to do Christmas when we can!
    I had been getting bits and bobs and putting them in the freezer in case we couldn't go, so we'll be OK, and obviously we've got each other, we won't be alone. I am worried about people who will be alone now,

This is my busy weekend though .. as I want to get everything wrapped! Halfway there! I broke off to watch Strictly ( so pleased with who won! ) and then lost impetus!

Tough, but good call Maza. If I get an 'off' feeling from a parent, I will say that I don't have a space due to existing child adding a day or another parent having visited and having priority. Sometimes, I'm j honest and will say that I'm not the best place for their child. I was recently chatting to a mum on the phone ( and I did vaguely know her ) and gently suggested she got a nanny as I knew I wouldn't be able to match her requests ( no childminder locally could - no school runs, not going in car or on public transport, ..... ) she is lovely, but very anxious.

One more day of work and then time to tidy up and get ready for Christmas.... got to empty the dining room of work debris and decorate it, so we can use it at Christmas! I'd been just dumping everything in there as we were going to be away!!!!

Stay safe, warm and dry everyone. XXX

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Think it’s going to be a sad Christmas for most of us. I won’t be seeing two of my sons ( have 3) we are in tier 2 better than some... at the moment . I usually moan about technology but now I’m grateful for my sons to be able to face time me. And if anyone feels like a sob, have one, it’s human nature to miss our kids even when they are in there 30’s they are still our children.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww, hope you're ok Dragonfly. I often think about how even more awful lockdown would have been if it was a couple of decades ago without all the technology that we have now. Hope you get to see your sons soon. x

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Would rather they all stayed safe. One daythis awful pandemic will be over. Fingers crossed sooner rather than later.

19. Likes Maza liked this post