Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Monday

The sun is shining and the sky is blue. It's a good start to the week

I had my first child arrive happily at 8.30. He can in, lay on the sofa and fell asleep! He's still there now. The next child is running late and won't be here until 10.30. He's so loud I'm sure he'll wake the other one up!

While it's been quiet I've been printing and laminating props for the story bag. We were going to be focussing on the Three Little pigs, but one of the children is frightened of any story that has a wolf in it. It's surprising how many fairy stories have. We read lots of stories last week to see which ones they could cope with, but it seems anything with a troll, giant or fox is out of bounds. I'm unsure now how much is genuine fear and how much it's a control issue, dictating what we can and can't read. I know they watch a lot of Disney movies at home, which nearly all have some sort of peril in them, so I'm not sure. For now I've settled on the Enormous Turnip!

Have good days everyone. Enjoy the sunshine

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning Mouse, i hope you have a peaceful day.

I used to have a little one who was scared of any type of 'peril' in a story, and prefered non fiction books. He is 8 now, and still the same ... even mild peril in 'magic key' reading books can be too much. You may be right though, and it is a control issue. Have you tried Mr Wolfs pancakes? Mr Wolf is definitely the character who needs help and our sympathy ( until the last page !!! ) Youtube have a nice version Mr Wolf's Pancakes - YouTube I find that some children will listen to/watch a story being told on youtube, when they struggle to sit for a 'real' story.

Its my day off, and a lovely day it is too .... so i suggested to DS that we went out for lunch and a walk or at least somewhere with a view .... he wants to go to sports direct for some new training shirts heyho! he'll be off at Uni soon, so i'm taking it as a positive that he actually wants to come out and spend time with me !!!!

have fun everyone x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse, I used to run a book club for Yrs 1 and 2. One of the themes we explored was 'are wolves always the baddies?' We read Mr Wolves Pancakes (like loocyloo said, just the last page lets him down!) and 'The three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig' (or words to that effect). I'm sure there are a few books out there that try to reverse the characters, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Interesting dilemma though!

I have just unpacked my brand new travel cot from amazon and it has two smallish holes in the netting up the side. It will have to be sent back. So, so annoying.

Have a lovely day in sports direct loocyloo! How are you feeling about him going off to uni?

DH's mum was diagnosed with dementia a couple of weeks ago. We have suspected as much for a while now so it hasn't come as a shock. She has got her finances in such a mess as it seems she has been forgetting to pay bills for quite some time and has recently received some warning letters. DH is trying to unravel it all, but she doesn't live in this county, so it is complicated.

I have started a business facebook page and yesterday I set up a little 'scene' and took a photo of it and put it on my page. I foolishly left it all set up, only to discover the small world people in bits around the garden, ruined. I guess childminding with a puppy is going to be a challenge that I'm not used to!

Anyway, it's a lovely day so I'm going to take the puppy for a walk before it gets too hot for him. Then I'm going to clean everywhere ready for my mindee who starts his settling in session tomorrow.

Have a lovely day everyone!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good afternoon everyone.

The sun is shining brightly.

Today is the first day since march that I have been alone in the house. I had forgotten how much I can get done with no one here. So now I have a clean sparkling house and now have nothing to do.

Dd went to uni yesterday to do her pgce its going to be an interesting year
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oooo Fussy ... i can't wait to actually have the house to myself one day .. DS is off in couple of weeks.
    I'm OK for him going away - he's ready and will have a ball, however it works this year. I have a few friends in pieces about their children leaving for Uni, but I'm happy for him and it's what he wants to do.

Edited to say, shopping all done! Never been so quick! Just having lunch x

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Oooo Fussy ... i can't wait to actually have the house to myself one day .. DS is off in couple of weeks.
    I'm OK for him going away - he's ready and will have a ball, however it works this year. I have a few friends in pieces about their children leaving for Uni, but I'm happy for him and it's what he wants to do.

My friend really couldn't cope with her eldest leaving. I think when her dd didn't get her first choice she encouraged her to stay local. Im like you loocyloo yes it was a different when my dd went off to uni but its what she wanted to do so we supported her. I don't think she's suited for teaching but its what she wants to do again with my full support.

My dd is about an hours drive away so far enough to be independent but close enough for us to get to her in an emergency. How far is your ds going to be?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    My friend really couldn't cope with her eldest leaving. I think when her dd didn't get her first choice she encouraged her to stay local. Im like you loocyloo yes it was a different when my dd went off to uni but its what she wanted to do so we supported her. I don't think she's suited for teaching but its what she wants to do again with my full support.

My dd is about an hours drive away so far enough to be independent but close enough for us to get to her in an emergency. How far is your ds going to be?
    That's all we can do ( and should do ) ... support them to do what they want. I guess if we felt they were making a HUGE mistake, we'd try and suggest they do something else, but generally, I'm all for letting them make their own decisions.

That's nice she is close - ish by. DS is going to be about 2 hours away by car, or 2 hrs plus by train with a change, and then a 45 minute drive home from the station! ( and it will cost more than going to pick him up! )

12. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's all we can do ( and should do ) ... support them to do what they want. I guess if we felt they were making a HUGE mistake, we'd try and suggest they do something else, but generally, I'm all for letting them make their own decisions.

That's nice she is close - ish by. DS is going to be about 2 hours away by car, or 2 hrs plus by train with a change, and then a 45 minute drive home from the station! ( and it will cost more than going to pick him up! )
    Train takes anything from an hour and half to 3 hours dependent on the day

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My youngest goes back to uni at the end of the month and he will be about a 4 hour drive away but its where he wants to go as he is about to start his second part of Architecture qualification so its similar to doing a masters, he has been home for a year doing a years on the job training (well until Covid hit) now has to go back to do 2 more years he has already done 3 years plus is year of work takes a long time to be a fully qualified architect ! Even though I miss them when they are not here I do like having the house to myself for a little while as DH works away too.

We have had a lovely day playing outside in the garden but all 3 have been tired as they had busy weekends ! They are always tired on a Monday.
    Pixie Dust

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post