Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Christmas presents

SO ..... did everyone get some lovely presents?

my family laughed at me as apparently the loudest squeal of excitement i gave was over a HUGE tub of duck food !!! ( our local ducks don't really bother over bread anymore, and i was always having to make a detour to the shop to get a small bag of duck food! )

I was also given 'walking in a winter wonderland' and 'singing in the rain' books by Tim Hopgood ... he is a gorgeous childrens illustrator ( i already have 'wonderful world' ) and writer. These books are 'just' illustrations to look at along with listening to a Cd of the song ( sung by the original singer ) and are stunning. ( He also writes lovely books ... 'wow, said the owl' is a particular favourite of mine! )

I also have a multitude of wine & chocolates/biscuits and some lovely teas ( thank you secret santa ) and some other bits. I was very lucky.

I did get a couple of candles, and I don't 'do' candles, but nice scents and easy to re-gift!

Did you get any 'random' gifts?

My brother bought me a 'giant' champagne flute, everyone else a 'sproutapult' and us all a weird game ... I'm trying not to be ungrateful ( and yes, i know i'm failing! ) but he asked what we would like and so I suggested 'Greatest Showman DVD' or the new 'Greatest Showman' CD or some 'nice' hot chocolate. He doesn't have much money to spare, and so I always give him a few ideas and not expensive. It makes me sad that he basically wastes his money on things we don't want/need/will use ( and I was looking at something on amazon earlier, and the game popped up ... and it wasn't cheap! ) Sorry, i just don't know how to get through to him, as it happens every year ( and birthdays! ) He doesn't have a partner or family, and so I do always get him what he asks for. The temptation to go random is great, but I don't want to waste my money either! He is old enough to 'get it' !

as totally different aside ... this year, i was still using up wrapping paper bought it in years gone by!, but also re-using paper gift bags ... but that's tricky, as i prefer to wrap the contents ... BUT we had a few fabric gift bags ( from Amazon gifts originally ) and they looked stunning, and were easy to wrap presents in and are REUSABLE! so .... my task/plan for next year is to find/unearth Christmassy fabrics ( even if i have to buy it! but am hoping charity shops might have tablecloths/bedding etc ) and make an assortment of re-usable bags that will have labels on saying 'please return or reuse me' ! but i am probably doing to have to start NOW!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 27-12-2018 at 12:13 PM.

2. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo I just googled those books and they look stunning! I would definitely be tempted if I had little ones around. The duck food is an amazing gift for a childminder!

I got some new wellies. My old ones have started to leak. DH got me some Joules ones which I have never had before. I have to say - they are the comfiest wellingtons I have ever had. So flexible. I also got a snuggle fleece - the fleeciest, snuggliest, warmest (and most unglamorous) jumper out there!

I love candles! I got a big spherical candle holder. I think I like it. I got slippers, bamboo socks, much needed underwear and cosmetics that I was running out of. I also got a couple of new notebooks - I love a new notebook! This year I got two chocolate oranges - my favourite!

I think my biggest squeal was for some stunning Rudolf ear rings in my stocking. They are so sparkly and twinkly. DH is a bit sick of the gaudy cheap ear rings I wear at Christmas and so bought me these, which are absolutely stunning!

Random gifts - not really random, but I did get some 'mince pie fudge' from Waitrose. It was absolutely disgusting!. We couldn't finish it. Someone on here - I think it's you and Fussy - always make some delicious sounding fudge at Christmas and so I was keen to try it.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have received lots of chocolates and wine from the children and their families which I am very grateful for but I think I will still be eating them still in the summer!

Most random present was a fridge magnet from my dad and step mum from their recent trip to Spain !

My son's girlfriend moved in with us during the summer, she got my husband and I a voucher for a local restaurant we have been wanting to try as a thank you which was really thoughtful.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas break.
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maza i make christmas pudding fudge which everyone requests at christmas.

Dh brought me a jumper so i dont freeze watching football and rugby. However its a polar neck and i dont like things around my neck. Oh well i will have to preserve and wear it.

Eldest ds brought me a present for the first time. Two Danielle steele books who i have never read.

Dd brought me a lovely photo frame with photos of them all in and a family organiser.

Lots of chocolate and a bottle of gin.

My family think im hard to buy for

Loocyloo what is probably happening is someone else iscyelling him what they think or what they are buying and he thinks that sounds good. My dh used to be bad at this. One year i wanted electronic scales and a work colleague told him they didnt recommend them so he didnt buy them me they recomnended a yankie candle I dont do candles really.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet your fudge is amazing Fussy. All your baking sounds mouth wateringly good!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really get any dodgy presents this year. The colour-in mug in the least likely to be used, but other than that everything is lovely.

I received lots of jewellery, smellies, perfume, a nice pen etc. I'm quite lucky that DH's 'go to' shop has now closed down. He would head straight there and buy endless knick-knacks. They were all very pretty, but there are only so many trinket boxes and incense holders a girl needs!

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a shocking amount of alcohol from my parents. Lovely but I’m getting a complex now. Do they think I really love drinking or do they think I need it to look after their children or do they not know what to buy me.
    Got a lovely hand written note from my 16 year old saying how much he appreciates me with £5 in it, bless him. That made my Christmas as I felt ‘he’s coming back to us’ after the Kevin the teenager stage.

13. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lol ... all my alcohol was from my minded children too! I don't know what it says that they all know what i like to drink either!!! That said, i do go out drinking with some current and ex mum's :

I think my brother was confused as the local branch of his favourite shop to go shopping in (millets) has been replaced by a Robert Dyas .... hence where he went shopping! Lol ... Maybe I'd better peruse their website!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You all sound like you had a great Christmas.
    Ours was certainly different but equally as lovely as our previous Christmas’s, in this new environment. Family ventured this far which was nice, but no day trippers, so lots of spare made up beds in nooks and crannies.
    My most gleeful gift was the hugest box of sharpies ever- I have never had real sharpies, so very pleased. Did rather confuse DH when I seemed to be more excited over the sharpies than the very very expensive perfume! ( love the perfume too,but sharpies....)
    I can’t match the Spanish fridge magnet, but my most random gift was a shalwar kameez from eldest, he flew in from a month’s trip to India for Christmas.....absolutely stunning light material, but really not sure when I will wear it. It does look fresh and bright hanging in my wardrobe now alongside the drab winter coloured tops though.

All visitors have left and I have spent this morning so far reorganising the high days and holidays China and glass and Christmas presents into new homes.
    Walked up high yesterday in the Lake District with all the visiting gang - it was like being on a school trip, trying to keep people together, checking for signs of fatigue, dishing out spare socks after muddy puddle splashing, finding somewhere with enough space for us all to eat lunch....I enjoyed the view, but was exhausted, not from exertion but mental thinking and caring.
    My sons decided to ‘do tea’ in the evening, - they literally just presented all the leftovers very nicely with a couple of extra salads and home made bread...and it was lovely. I had planned a curry, but this was much the better idea to clear the fridges. Any remaining food has been taken home by them today. It seems strange that it is only 9 o’clock and the house is empty. Since most folks had 7 hour journeys ahead of them, dropping off families on their way they left early. We all had bacon and oatcake followed by left over trifle for breakfast at 6 0’clock.
    I love this lull period of tidying and reorganising, reading Christmas books, playing games, using new kitchen equipment, finding space for the dozens of gifted pickles, sauces and balsamic vinegars and eating random things.
    Enjoy the last of 2018 everyone.

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Flora Dora, why don't you wear the shalwar kameez at home? I think it would be perfect for the weeks after Christmas when we have tended to put on a few extra pounds! I have changed my view on 'best clothes' a bit and will now happily wear them/allow DD to wear them at home because otherwise we just don't get the wear out of them.

Are sharpies worth the extra money? I've never had any but everyone seems to get excited about them, so I think maybe I am missing out. What are you planning on using them for?

BallyH I think the gift from your 16 year old is beautiful!

Slightly random gift - DD got 'pick up sticks' in her stocking. It cost a couple of pounds and has been our festive family game this year. We've played it so many times already!

Also a bit random - have you noticed lots of things which are prosecco flavour? My brother had some prosecco flavoured pringles at his party and I received some prosecco marshmallows.

We went for a family run this morning - so beautiful in the winter woods. Apart from that, we have been eating lots and have become addicted to Christmas movies - even DH. Love the Christmas clutter at this side of Christmas - opened presents still in the living room and random snacks everywhere. DD is really into needle felting and has been making some delightful little animals. She has also been crocheting using her new set and has been using Pauline's website for inspiration. I love cosy, lazy post Christmas days.

18. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Flora Dora, why don't you wear the shalwar kameez at home? I think it would be perfect for the weeks after Christmas when we have tended to put on a few extra pounds! I have changed my view on 'best clothes' a bit and will now happily wear them/allow DD to wear them at home because otherwise we just don't get the wear out of them.

Are sharpies worth the extra money? I've never had any but everyone seems to get excited about them, so I think maybe I am missing out. What are you planning on using them for?

I probably will wear it at home in the summer, it is definitely summer weight material and I May have lost a few pounds too by then the trousers are comfy but the top is more fitted around my hips.
    The scarf will probably get an outing before the summer.
    My first Sharpie art session will be creating pictures on rocks as that is still being enjoyed in the village. I just love that there are millions of colours and the Sharpies are bendable.

Then I will be creating some journal type photo albums with all the instagram photos we have taken at gatherings over the last couple of years ( DH has given me journals for this purpose as a gift). But I do have a lovely new set of Tombow pens too that I may also use.

We love pick up sticks too, our quick and easy go to game this year was dobble. Dobble - great for all ages and quick fire games.
    As much as I love the Christmas mess having 12 people to stay created a lot of under tree gifts after....we spent three days stepping over stuff in the den. I did anticipate this, which is why we opened our pressies in the den and not the living room this year...but inevitably as we opened and explored our gifts they spread out all round the house...it all took some finding when they wanted to go home. Next year I think I will provide after opened Christmas baskets to store things easily.

20. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure whether I should be delighted or concerned that our clients give us far more suitable/thoughtful gifts than our family do.

All the same, I wasn’t left with much after Mrs bunyip appropriated all the gin and chocolates.

22. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post