Do you religiously have a roast dinner every Sunday? We don't. Sometimes we will have one mid week.

Growing up we always did, as did all the neighbours - no exceptions. We would always have roast potatoes and gravy - they were the only things that never changed. We would alternate between beef, pork, lamb and chicken and then vegetables to match, or whatever was in season.

Has your roast evolved over time? Ours has, because more vegetables are available these days. Also because DH isn't from England he had a slightly different version of a roast dinner, and so we use some of his favourites. Some of the veggies that we have with our roasts these days which we definitely didn't have as children include roast courgettes, roast peppers, mange tout, roast butternut, gem squash, patty pans(sp?) and soya beans. More often than not we will have sweet potatoes or roast celeriac instead of roast potatoes.

As lovely as our new versions are, I do still love a good old fashioned roast. I love swede but no one else here does, but thankfully DH and DD are happy to have all the other hardy, less glamorous veg alternated with the newer veg. Today with our beef we are having sweetheart cabbage, green beans and parsnips. DH is making roast celeriac 'chips'. They are delicious.

I'm drooling now.