Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Storm Doris

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Storm Doris

It's really blowing a gale here. I doubt my fence panels are going to last the day.

Several local outdoor attractions have closed.

Hope it's calmer where you are if not please stay safe everyone
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DH has got the day off work today and we had planned to take our grandson out to a little farm that's near by. We decided it wasn't such a good idea after all!

We ended up at the soft play centre with all the parents who had had the same idea! When we were driving back home I said I thought the wind had dropped, but as we came into the house I saw my gazebo disappearing off over the neighbour's fence, so it obviously hadn't!!

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

It's extremely windy here. One parent thought I wouldn't be doing the school run (which I do on foot) as she thought it was too windy - her child is 16 months and I think she thought it would be dangerous for me to be taking her out in the buggy, I'm not sure she understands I can't give my DD a day off school because it's windy! I decided it was too windy for my kids to scoot to school though so they had to walk.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    DH has got the day off work today and we had planned to take our grandson out to a little farm that's near by. We decided it wasn't such a good idea after all!

We ended up at the soft play centre with all the parents who had had the same idea! When we were driving back home I said I thought the wind had dropped, but as we came into the house I saw my gazebo disappearing off over the neighbour's fence, so it obviously hadn't!!
    LOL..my DD suggested soft play ... i said no ... 6 children in half term ... would cost a fortune (no cm discount in hols!) AND it would be heaving! We had planned to visit the woods but I thought it wouldn't be a good idea ... so where did we end up? Local ruined castle! Ranger said she was monitoring the wind in case of falling masonry but there wasn't any loose that they knew of! ... actually we had 90 mins of mainly dry weather, with occasional drizzle and no wind!

Home and it's now blowing alot with sporadic downpours.

4 children asleep and 2 making junk castles :0)

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Very windy here. Just watched a trampoline 2 doors down blow onto its side. My husband has just text to say all trains from London are cancelled at the moment due to a broken cable. Hope the workmen keep safe on the tracks.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of 'our' fence panels have blown down. I say 'our' in inverted commas because the owner of the downstairs property (the fence is enclosing his part of the garden) is emailing hubby as we speak and checking that it is part of the communal fence, and our other downstairs neighbour doesn't think it is. Neither of them ever want to pay for anything to be repaired/updated and always try to share out the costs by claiming that stuff is communal, until it suits them.

Stay safe everyone!

9. Likes mama2three liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of our fence panels is down too , by 'our; i actually mean next doors but as its me who needs a fence panel in place before the kids can play out safely I have a fair idea who'll be replacing it! A tree out the front has come down too blocking the pavement , the local forest and country park are both closed , and part of the m1 not too far away closed as they think the gantry above may collapse.
    DS3s football training is cancelled , thank heavens , so I have no intention of setting foot outside again today!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    One of our fence panels is down too , by 'our; i actually mean next doors but as its me who needs a fence panel in place before the kids can play out safely I have a fair idea who'll be replacing it! A tree out the front has come down too blocking the pavement , the local forest and country park are both closed , and part of the m1 not too far away closed as they think the gantry above may collapse.
    DS3s football training is cancelled , thank heavens , so I have no intention of setting foot outside again today!
    DD's football has been cancelled but I had no intention of rushing to make it when it's this bad
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's quietened down a lot here now, so I'm hoping it's on its way out. We got the gazebo back undamaged, but have had one fence panel come down. We've also had bits blown off the trees, but nothing very dramatic.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Horrible day.

Big winds always put me in a bad mood. The only weather I'm truly fearful of, because they can be damaging and you can't do a thing about it.

Had a string of children in tears when they turned up with silly little umbrellas that were obviously going to get broken or blown away and I had to tell mums to take them away. What on earth possesses them?

Spent the day watching bits of the garden getting damaged.

Am furious now after a very late finish. I'm not unreasonable: I expect that when traffic is bad, but one mum has really peed me off. She sent me a text message to say that, since the roads were bad, she'd do an extra hour at work, set off late, and hope they'd have cleared a bit. Didn't ask me if I'd be happy with that; she just told me. I replied to ask her to leave work on time, but was ignored. The traffic hadn't cleared and, as a result she was nearly 2.5 hours late. Then she had the nerve to make a sarcastic comment about her child being in front of a video whilst I got our tea ready.

Had enough of this week. Yesterday I had to have words with a mum who is continually playing fast and loose with my sickness policy. Roll on Saturday.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost half my back garden border in the storms yesterday - our border/boundary between us and neighbour is on top of a bank and when 2 dead elms got blown over they took the fence panels (and climbing plants) with them and also some of the timber that was holding up the bank - children won't be playing outside for a while because we are busy at the weekend.