Cleaning/hygiene - what are your 'rules'?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning/hygiene - what are your 'rules'?

Just curious...

Do you have separate cloths for cleaning the loo?

Do you have separate rubber gloves for the bathroom and kitchen?

What temperature do you wash your cleaning cloths?

Do you wash your cloths with the rest of your laundry or separately?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pile of cleaning cloths that are used for anything - cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the kitchen, washing the windows etc.

They're used once then put in to be washed. They go in a boil wash with the towels.

I don't use rubber gloves, but if I did, I would have separate ones for kitchen and bathrooms as they're not so easy to clean.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Just curious...

Do you have separate cloths for cleaning the loo?

Do you have separate rubber gloves for the bathroom and kitchen?

What temperature do you wash your cleaning cloths?

Do you wash your cloths with the rest of your laundry or separately?
    When anthena turner did the show how to be a perfect housewife she said cloths in the bathroom should be pink for the sink and blue for the loo.
    However I'm nowhere near being a perfect housewife so it's a pile of clothes that get used then put in a boil wash along with the flannels the children use.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I clean my toilet with the toilet brush, whatever toilet cleaner is reduced that week in the supermarket, elbow grease and a big dollop of toilet roll with disinfectant on it.

I don't have rubber gloves and have the hands and nails to prove this fact. Wish I'd listened to my MIL 22 years ago but heyho.

I put my cleaning cloths all in with my own towels etc in a hot wash with a dollop of disinfectant (don't know why but it makes me feel better).

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    AUG 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two small baskets in my bathroom one for cloths to wipe over toilet etc and one for flannels
    that the kids use to dry their hands. They all go in a hot wash with my towels and I also put disinfectant in with the wash.

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

separate everything for bathroom and kitchen. use hot wash for towels and use dettol laundry in most washes

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Different cloths for kitchen to bathroom/ loo.
    Wash separately. Hot wash.
    Don't use rubber gloves - but like BallyH I sometimes think - should I? I have huge hands and never can get comfortable ones, never know where to keep them - hate yellow/ pink gloves in sink area look.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

I have separate cloths for the loo, rest of the bathroom, floors, kitchen counters etc. I don't use gloves but I do provide two different pairs of gloves for my cleaner - different colours and stored in a labelled bag inappropriate room so that there is no confusion... My current and last cleaner just haven't taken this on board (other cleaners over the years have got it straight away) and I wondered if I was being unreasonable. Ok, it hasn't made me or my family ill at all, lol, but I like it the way I do it the rest of the week. I'm not moaning about my cleaner, by the way.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The toilet is the only thing in the whole house I use disposable stuff for. I have different gloves for the bathroom, and mop and brush.
    I wash my cloths on 30 where possible, laundry detergent is pretty good these days. I wash everything together - unless there is a sudden and unexpected laundry avalanche, then I sort things out to make drying them easier cos I have no tumble dryer. I change the dish cloths out daily at least so they don't get vile enough to need haz-mat suits generally. Each month, or every second month I sort new dish cloths out and the old ones get repurposed elsewhere.

Just read the last line about your cleaner not using the right gloves. That would seriously bother me. I'd have to say something.

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    The toilet is the only thing in the whole house I use disposable stuff for. I have different gloves for the bathroom, and mop and brush.
    I wash my cloths on 30 where possible, laundry detergent is pretty good these days. I wash everything together - unless there is a sudden and unexpected laundry avalanche, then I sort things out to make drying them easier cos I have no tumble dryer. I change the dish cloths out daily at least so they don't get vile enough to need haz-mat suits generally. Each month, or every second month I sort new dish cloths out and the old ones get repurposed elsewhere.

Just read the last line about your cleaner not using the right gloves. That would seriously bother me. I'd have to say something.

Yes, I will definitely go over my wishes again with her this week. I mentioned the cloths last week so hopefully that will be ok this week. It was only after she had gone that I noticed the bathroom gloves under the kitchen sink - that's not to say she used them in the kitchen as well as the loo, of course. I think cleaning must be a nightmare job - everyone has different wishes/rules. I would find it really stressful.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think cleaning must be a nightmare job - everyone has different wishes/rules. I would find it really stressful.

Isn't this our job also?

I was thinking I envy you having a cleaner but then I remembered I did have one, for 3 months, a couple of years ago. I found it very stressful. I'm not one of those 'clean for the cleaner' people but I did want my boys rooms tidy, well everything off their bedroom floors so it doesn't look like a TV advert for a lazy teenagers bedroom floor. So I'd spend about 2 hours the evening/night before nagging and nagging and 'pottering' to tidy the house so the next day she could spend the 2 hours 'cleaning' and not lifting and folding clothes etc and therefore run out of time to not clean my house(does this all make sense). I ended up giving her notice as my nerves couldn't take it anymore. Plus no one except me noticed the cleaner house so my sons bedrooms now resemble that TV advert for Febreeze.

|

19. Likes Dragonfly, Maza liked this post