Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
I know it's been a week or so since this thread stopped, but I hate uniforms. As the mother of identical twins who have had some very lazy teachers over the years, forcing them to dress exactly the same meant that those lazy teachers used their identical faces and identical clothes to not bother even trying to learn who was who. It is very harsh for 2 boys with very individual needs to attend school for 6 hours a day for 14 years and have people so disinterested in you that you aren't even worth a name.
At least if they had been able to wear their own thing those lazy teachers would have been forced to use their name, even if they got it wrong sometimes. They got 'twins' so often.
I agree. I totally disagree with school uniforms.

The argument that it stops them being bullied is absolute BS. I say this as someone who was bullied throughout my entire school life, including for the type of trousers and hand-me-downs of my brothers' that I was obliged to wear. If you're poor, it will show: uniform or no uniform.

The other argument is that uniform is essential because we all have to wear uniform or follow a dress code when we grow up. Excuse me? CMs all wear 'practical' not 'uniform'. If it was true, then the teachers are clearly not setting the example: they should be in uniform too if it's that great an idea.

It's entirely about social control and power relationships between authority (teacher) and and the powerless (students). It's about learning one's place in the socio-political food chain.

One mum recently showed me a picture of her 2yo in school nursery uniform. Mum thought it cute and something to be proud of. It was all I could do to stop myself weeping. Welcome to your institutionalised life; farewell to childhood.