Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default its the weekend AGAIN!

Well, DD has now left primary school and has a fun packed summer planned!

I'm planning a relaxing weekend, doing nothing after a manic and somewhat emotional last week of term.

Have a good summer everyone xxx

2. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaaah loocyloo, I bet it was emotional. Do you still have any children at primary school?

Well this time last week I was still in Fuerta Ventura, having a wonderful time, but it's all done for another year. Then I had to work for two days and then I was struck down with a tummy bug. Poor DD was pretty much left to her own devices. Today I had an old mindee around for a playdate. As lovely as it was to see him it brought back memories that made me shudder - such as keeping his finger on the doorbell for far longer than he needed to at drop off, and then on collection turning into the loudest little monkey ever. Fortunately my downstairs neighbours are away on holiday.

Anyway, we're away next weekend and so this weekend I want to just enjoy being at home/my local area. Park run on Saturday, Junior Park run on Sunday -doubt DD or I will get a new PB after all the holiday food, but we'll try.

Happy holidays everyone!

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lovely end of term.....great weather for out and about activities.
    I have spent tonight decluttering childminding our house - for 6 weeks it is now ours!
    I have friends of old arriving tomorrow for a few days, a lovely start to our break.
    We feel really grateful that we can have this long break, as retired teachers we are used to it but our sons, who work in what we call the real world, have brought home to us the reality of set holidays. In our defence we have never been able to holiday out of peak season, and 6 weeks is never the reality as you spend at least two weeks preparing/ analysing/ reviewing...I have never holidayed in gce and GCSE results week as DH had to be in school the day before, the day of the results and at least the day after for data analysis ....no luxury of booking odd days off either!
    But that said ..I am so looking forward to a summer of what I want to do.

My LEA advisor has emailed me a link which deals with the sensitivity of safeguarding online and it made me think about summer holiday issues for some childminders who have children in holiday time who really only want to play on their PlayStation ....how do you manage this? My lads would wake up at 7 play games until 8.30 breakfast....then until 10 when we usually started family stuff......then they would relish an early evening gaming time. Both grew up to get good quality degrees, be all round good citizens, work hard and be respected in their chosen careers and have a healthy social life and relationships....and still find time for the odd gaming session.
    So, if you provide holiday care do you allow time for gaming?
    Lots of thoughts tonight!
    Have a great weekend everyone!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Aaaah loocyloo, I bet it was emotional. Do you still have any children at primary school?

Well this time last week I was still in Fuerta Ventura, having a wonderful time, but it's all done for another year. Then I had to work for two days and then I was struck down with a tummy bug. Poor DD was pretty much left to her own devices. Today I had an old mindee around for a playdate. As lovely as it was to see him it brought back memories that made me shudder - such as keeping his finger on the doorbell for far longer than he needed to at drop off, and then on collection turning into the loudest little monkey ever. Fortunately my downstairs neighbours are away on holiday.

Anyway, we're away next weekend and so this weekend I want to just enjoy being at home/my local area. Park run on Saturday, Junior Park run on Sunday -doubt DD or I will get a new PB after all the holiday food, but we'll try.

Happy holidays everyone!
    Glad you had a good holiday and sorry you were poorly.
    I know what you mean about old mindees visiting ... ;-)
    Enjoy the park run.

That's me all done with primary school as a parent! Although I'll still be there as a childminder and 'community' ( not parent! ) volunteer! Very emotional although the leavers assembly was very up beat and all us mums who thought we'd be in pieces, were fine until the last second, when, as the rest of the school were walking out, one of the boys shouted '3 Cheers for our school' ... That did it! But only for a moment.

FloraDora, enjoy your holidays...sounds blissful. I put stuff away for the holidays, and aim to be out alot. I also do few observations and as little as possible :-)
    Minded children don't play computer/xbox etc here. My DS is another matter, but I have plans to extradite him from his room ;-):-):-D

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What a couple of days A morning at the hairdressers for me for my long long overdue colouring! My hair is long so it does take hours , but I quite enjoy sitting with a good book and no interuptions! I have no idea what colour Im going for either which wont help!! Cant decide!
    The rest of the weekend will be taken up with holiday preparation ..got to buy the euros , then all those 'little bits'..trainer socks ...I have to buy ds trainer socks every holiday , I have no idea where they go....then to attack my wardrobes , nightmare task....
    One week to go..this time next week will be heading to the airport. Thank heavens , as for a while we thought we wouldnt be going anywhere after booking with lowcost holidays!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours don't finish school till Tuesday, so I'm not quite in summer holiday mood yet!

I don't look after any school aged children and some of my littlies are tto or on holiday, so the school holidays are a quieter time for me.

This weekend I've got nothing that has to be done, so I'm just going to relax and go with the flow. I would say I'm going to relax and do nothing, but I know that'll never happen

10. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    What a couple of days A morning at the hairdressers for me for my long long overdue colouring! My hair is long so it does take hours , but I quite enjoy sitting with a good book and no interuptions! I have no idea what colour Im going for either which wont help!! Cant decide!
    !
    Let's have a vote and make the choice for you

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In answer floradora no electronic online gaming here, but we do prep and eat rabbits, quails and pheasants xx

14. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's my last weekend in North Yorkshire, so have just spent the morning ironing the 31 year old military curtains ready for the lads to rehang when they get back home. Then the rest of the weekend will be spent trying to make this quarter, with the ceiling hanging down in the kitchen, the hole in the roof over the stairs, the windows that won't close, the walls that are covered in mold, and all the other faults that they refuse to fix, look like a brand new build ready for march out.

But it is my last ever march out cos we move into our very own place on wednesday

When I have kids over the holiday we always have gaming time. We are a family of gamers so love introducing the kids to new games. We also have loads of time to do all the other stuff that everyone else does but we definitely make time for saving the world from evil dragons, liches and constructs

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    In answer floradora no electronic online gaming here, but we do prep and eat rabbits, quails and pheasants xx
    For real? If so I would love my child to go to your setting!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Singingcactus you must be so excited! Is all the accommodation like that in your experience? Your opinion of gaming is very refreshing!

We don't do gaming, but then I only really have eyfs kids. DD has a few games on the ipad, but they are ones which DH has downloaded, so we are totally in control of what she does -or are we???

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    It's my last weekend in North Yorkshire, so have just spent the morning ironing the 31 year old military curtains ready for the lads to rehang when they get back home. Then the rest of the weekend will be spent trying to make this quarter, with the ceiling hanging down in the kitchen, the hole in the roof over the stairs, the windows that won't close, the walls that are covered in mold, and all the other faults that they refuse to fix, look like a brand new build ready for march out.

But it is my last ever march out cos we move into our very own place on wednesday

When I have kids over the holiday we always have gaming time. We are a family of gamers so love introducing the kids to new games. We also have loads of time to do all the other stuff that everyone else does but we definitely make time for saving the world from evil dragons, liches and constructs
    What a great time to move - right at the beginning of the school holidays....time for your children to enjoy their new home. Good luck with the move.

I do think that gaming has to be a happy medium ...it is such great fun. Children have to learn to balance it with other activities....you seem to have got it just right!
    My eldest persuaded me to enter the poker man world today....I am hooked, our nature reserve had something I couldn't catch! The elderly dog walkers must have thought I was mad at 6.30 this morning. Can't wait until Monday when we are doing a Birmingham day..I expect there will be lots of things going on there...if only I could work my iPhone with my big fat fingers!

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Singingcactus you must be so excited! Is all the accommodation like that in your experience? Your opinion of gaming is very refreshing!
    I was born into the military and when I was a kid faults were always fixed to a high standard - the housing was basic but what was there worked and was good. Since the quarters were sold off to private companies the fault fixing has become less and less, with the companies trying to save money and the service families being easy targets. This latest company that has owned our homes is definitely the worst. They just won't come out to fix faults. Our hot water tank burst (3rd one in the last 6 years because they install such rubbish ones) and the water was pouring through the ceiling. I called the company to get someone out because the ceiling had dropped 2 inches, the water was pouring through the light fittings and there was a massive leak. They told me to put a bucket under it! I had to contact my husband in Afghanistan to contact welfare who then contacted the housing to force them to come out. We have spent virtually the whole winter without heating. We have to hit the shower pump with a golf club to get it started. We had roof tiles (2 foot long ridge tiles) hanging over the end of the house where we walk to the door and they refused to come and remove them because it wasn't a health and safety risk! Again I had to get welfare involved to make them come and remove them. Still waiting for the hole to be fixed.

Our family accommodation is quite rapidly falling into slum standard under the latest landlord. It is becoming more and more widespread. It used to just be the unlucky few who had terrible housing, now it is very very many of us.

We are trapped in military housing if we want to remain a family unit, so we have to put up with it. I am now moving to private housing but it means I will no longer be living with my husband, he will only be able to come home at weekends, when he is around. These are the choices we face. But the schooling away from military units are much better so even though we won't be living as a family, my youngest will get to be at a good school. So we are very excited.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness Singingcactus, that is terrible. You shouldn't have to put up with that. I hope the final move goes well!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Maza for real, we might watch the occasional DVD or play a off line WI game but it's very limited. I have two families who regularly shoot/fish during the appropriate seasons and bless us with fresh produce.

24. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Singingcactus that sounds horrendous. But I can read the excitement in your words so I wish you a very happy time in your new dry, warm home.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the march out Singingcactus. I remember them well, also used to annoy me that as an RAF wife we weren't allowed to march in or out with our husbands and had to leave as the families officer entered! I didn't do many because we bought our own home many years ago.

Enjoy your first home, how exciting for you

27. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Well, DD has now left primary school and has a fun packed summer planned!

I'm planning a relaxing weekend, doing nothing after a manic and somewhat emotional last week of term.

Have a good summer everyone xxx
    Ds1 had his cadets presentation on Friday night.
    Made the most of the lovely weekend and visited lots of parks to go pokemon hunting it's even got ds1 coming out with us as usually he doesn't want to be seen out with us
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

29. Likes Maza liked this post