Recommendations for car seats please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommendations for car seats please

We're looking for a car seat for our 9 month old grandson now that he's getting too big for his first stage seat.

It's a long time since we've had a car seat in the car and it's all very confusing! I haven't kept up with the latest legislation, but I know the recommendation is for children to stay rear facing for much longer.

We don't want to spend a fortune as it won't be used that often, but obviously we want something safe and reliable.

Any recommendations?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Under the old rules which are still valid he can forward face from 9 months so something like the kiddo are racer at about £30 would work.
    Under the new rule he should rear face to 15 months so I'd look at something like the joie stages £150 (upto age 7) or joie every stage. £200 upto age 12

Both rules are still valid and inforce so you can choose which suits your needs best.

3. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend whatever you decide to make sure you try in the car before you buy- Halfords do a fitting service. Not all seats fit in all cars.
    I have had a cheap rear/front facing seat but it was an absolute pain to fit in the car, threading the seat belt through was near impossible.
    Make sure you know the weight of the child as it is the weight and not just the age that is important.
    And also check if your car has Isofix or not, if you want to consider Isofix seats (the ones that slot into sockets in the actual car seats rather than using the seatbelt).

5. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both. I've been looking at this one, but don't know if it would be a pain trying to get him in with the seatbelt in the way!

Graco Milestone All-In-One Car Seat Group 0+/1/2/3

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks both. I've been looking at this one, but don't know if it would be a pain trying to get him in with the seatbelt in the way!

Graco Milestone All-In-One Car Seat Group 0+/1/2/3
    Yes, this is the other problem with seat-belt fixing extended rear-facing seats, that is why you really need to try in your car before you buy.
    I could not get a child in from the side of the car where the seat belt goes, you need to try accessing from the other side of the car, or might be ok if you have a high roof line to your car... so you need to try first.

This is the style of seat (different brand) that I found near impossible to thread the seatbelt through, I had to completely recline the seat to get my hand through the gap at the back (scratching my hand everytime on the rough plastic edges inside) to get the seat belt though, then un-recline it. If you are going to leave the seat in place all the time that is not so bad. If the seat is going to be moved in and out every week that is no good.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Yes, this is the other problem with seat-belt fixing extended rear-facing seats, that is why you really need to try in your car before you buy.
    I could not get a child in from the side of the car where the seat belt goes, you need to try accessing from the other side of the car, or might be ok if you have a high roof line to your car... so you need to try first.

This is the style of seat (different brand) that I found near impossible to thread the seatbelt through, I had to completely recline the seat to get my hand through the gap at the back (scratching my hand everytime on the rough plastic edges inside) to get the seat belt though, then un-recline it. If you are going to leave the seat in place all the time that is not so bad. If the seat is going to be moved in and out every week that is no good.
    We'd leave the seat where it is, so I'm not too worried about it being difficult to fit. If DG was asleep I just can't imagine lifting him over the seatbelt, although I guess we could climb through from the other side.

We have got Isofix in the car but the seats and bases seem very expensive.

I think we need to head to Halfords to see what will fit.

9. Likes moggy liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd leave the seat where it is, so I'm not too worried about it being difficult to fit. If DG was asleep I just can't imagine lifting him over the seatbelt, although I guess we could climb through from the other side.

We have got Isofix in the car but the seats and bases seem very expensive.

I think we need to head to Halfords to see what will fit.
    Yes, it felt like posting them through a letter box, trying to get a child into the seat from the seatbelt side!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware the graco isn't extended rear facing so at nine months you would be fitting this forward facing

12. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Just be aware the graco isn't extended rear facing so at nine months you would be fitting this forward facing
    Oh, I'll have to have another look. I thought that GRaco one was rear facing until about 3yrs old.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'll have to have another look. I thought that GRaco one was rear facing until about 3yrs old.
    ransitioning from rear-facing infant car seat (birth to 13kg) to forward facing 5 point harness seat (9-18kg) to high back boo

13 kg depending on size of child is about a year to 24 months

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It says 'transitioning from rear-facing infant car seat (birth to 13kg) to forward facing 5 point harness seat (9-18kg) to high back booster (15-36kg).'
    So it is rear-facing to 13kg.
    At 9kg-13kg you have the option of rear or front facing.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I go by weight and height on those first seats rather than age, I always felt my son was just too young at 9 months...
    If your grandchild is still under 13kg and ears not above the top of the seat back they're OK to stay in it, then move them up when they're heavier and taller - i kept my own son in it until he was 13 months old, he wasn't near the weight limit but was v tall so ears at the top, I kept a dainty little mindee in the same seat until she was nearly 18 months old.
    I use the kiddy seats afterwards, highly recommend them, the kiddy guardian goes up to 12 years, I have one of their ones that goes up to age 4 and wish I'd gone for the bigger one as its identical but just gets taller, so my tall 3 year old is too tall for the smaller one! They're very easy to fit and light, although have an impact cushion so depends on the child if they'll like it, although I put all my mindees in them with no probs