Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Easter Eggs

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Easter Eggs

How many do your children get?

I have 4 children and they will probably only get 2 eachand me and dh will get one too.

I dont see the point in having eggs sat around the house for days/weeks. I would sooner buy a board game.

I also have friends who treat it like a mini Christmas day and lots of presents.

Am I just getting old and cynical perhaps being around Bunyip too much
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When DD was a toddler, I used to hang little Easter decorations around the garden (the usual chicks, bunnies etc) and she would go and collect them, pop them in her basket and then decorate a little Easter tree inside. Then it progressed to having a chocolate bunny/egg at the end of the trail. Now it is little chocolate eggs instead of ornaments and something at the end, this year it's a chocolate bunny.

I don't like giving gifts at Easter - I like the symbolism of eggs/new life etc. I'm not particularly religious but if a festival is based on a religious story I think the 'gifts' should reflect that.

Having said that, I do always buy something to keep DD/mindees occupied over the Easter holidays - a new construction kit, new arts and craft, a toy, whatever, but I don't do it in the name of 'Easter', just in the name of my sanity really!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We usually do an egg hunt in the garden and a couple of eggs each ... But depends ...If we see family we end up with loads!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the exciting thing is to get eggs, I know it's not healthy but you don't have to eat them all at once - my lads would try to be the one who still had an Easter egg to eat in the summer holidays.
    The theme for me is new life too and definately not an Easter present that isn't linked, just for the sake of giving presents. When my children needed something or , like Maza, a holiday treat/ occupier, sometimes a 'lets start an interst in ' moment then they were given things all year round. Birthdays and Christmas was the main time for bigger gifts.
    Easter is little sweet treats for children and plants and flowers for grown ups, though I love a chocolate egg too.

My house is looking particularly Spring like as all my LO's have given me Spring flowers this week.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We've never really given easter eggs. I do the annual easter egg hunt, although there aren't that many eggs involved and it's sweets in general. When the children were younger my in laws would get them an egg each and my parents would send money. We'd usually use the money on a family day out.

I do have friends who treat Easter as another Christmas. The children go to bed on Easter eve (or whatever they call it!) and wait for the easter bunny to arrive! They wake up on easter Sunday to pile of eggs and presents. I have enough trouble trying to think of Christmas and birthday presents without adding in Easter as well!!

I am not at all religious so to me Easter is all about spring, family and time off work!!

7. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It's strange how commercial it's all become, I can't remember getting an Easter egg as a child. I've always bought my boys an egg but they didnt get any off anyone else, they are adults now and sometimes get an egg it's not something I do every year if I'm honest. They have got one this year

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was young, I used to just get one egg each year, it was always a Yorkies egg, with the box in the shape of a truck, lorry or some sort of vehicle. I would dismantle the boxes, and I think that I still have some of the boxes somewhere!!! I wonder if the boxes are valuable now??

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 1 of 4 children n we used to get 1 cream egg from the bunny, 1 egg from our parents 1 egg from our grandparents. And much to my siblings disgust i used to always get one from our local priest to as i had decided age 3 that he was my best friend and ran out during mass to give him a hug n kiss ever since then i got Christmas easter n birthday presents. Still have yet to meet a nicer man than that priest when he changed churches i cried for weeks lol.

My son has had about 8 tiny eggs left for him by the easter bunny n that is it. Grandparents have been banned from buying anything. Its way to materialistic nowadays. My ds is the only one of his friends who wont be receiving toys but well he doesn't need anything and well even though i am not religious i still feel the real meaning should be taught. If great granny hadn't of died at the start of this month i would of taught him about the resurrection of Jesus but as we are having a lot of trouble with the fact she is not coming back i thought i wouldn't rock the boat.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    When I was young, I used to just get one egg each year, it was always a Yorkies egg, with the box in the shape of a truck, lorry or some sort of vehicle. I would dismantle the boxes, and I think that I still have some of the boxes somewhere!!! I wonder if the boxes are valuable now??
    I saw them in tesco think they are calling them retro. But I still remember the excitement of getting one with my brother.

Well we got an egg each for each child. A mindee brought me one and the youngest 2 one each and a member mum who started this week got all 4 of them one too.

This equates to happy children in the house.

Though the real shock is dh has brought me one first time in 11 years well you know romance isn't dead.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    IIRC you're not allowed any Yorkie products. The advertising specifically said, "Yorkie - it's not for girls."

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

IIRC you're not allowed any Yorkie products. The advertising specifically said, "Yorkie - it's not for girls."
    Yes but these are retro now so before they went sexist

14. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We got my youngest an egg, and the twins a dnd teeshirt and campaign book. MIL got all three boys an egg. HUbby got himself an egg and me some craft knives.
    I have a friend who has treated today as a not-so-mini christmas too. The entire lounge is filled with rabbit toys, chocolates and all kinds of other things. Never seen the like lol.

I used to get a pair of school socks from my mum, from the seconds factory down the road haha.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Yes but these are retro now so before they went sexist
    True.

Being pre-retro myself, I can remember a time we didn't have Easter eggs..............

..............and Mrs Bunyip is so old, she can remember a time they didn't have Easter.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was little we had eggs from aunts and uncle as well as parents and grandparents which meant about 15 eggs for each of us!! My girls probably used to get 4/5. My mum used to buy everyone a big bar a cadburys chocolate. Now I buy one each and never think of buying more. Last year we had a Christmas at Easter with the full works for dinner n secret Santa gifts, crackers n games in the evening only because DD1 had just had first baby by C section at xmas and wasn't up to joining the festivities. So we did it a Easter for her.