Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st December

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 1st December

That's it the countdown can start the advent calenders are out.

Are you all organised for Christmas or like me kinda winging it

Have you got any nice crafts planned?

What traditions do you have - there is no elf in this house it requires way too much planning and there is a voice inside my head that says hes creepy.

Have a good day everyone
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh so excited 🎄❄⛄🎁🎄❄⛄⛄ all organised but always leave a few fiddly bits to do in December to feel christmasy
    Have already been doing Christmas crafts and sending them home.
    Wooden cut out santa decorations coloured in to hang on the tree and cards completed
    Going to make chocolate coins with Christmas sprinkles and truffles also paper chains and what ever else takes my fancy
    Tess1981

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we dont 'elf' either! Maybe if it was just a day or 2 , but I'm not organised enough to keep doing it the whole of December!!

Im trying to keep my crafts down too , we do far too much that the children dont actually benefit from. What does a child get from having his foot dipped in paint and placed on card which we then make into something cute? I know the parents love them but Im struggling a bit to find a balance. I want my practice to be more reggio based , then around comes christmas and I fall straight back into the same old habits!! So Ill keep doing a few , but determined not to be the production line of previous years.

reading back I sound like a real grinch dont I? I actually love this time of year!!!

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I only do one Christmas craft a week and the children must be able to do it themselves. When it comes to baking I go for simple baking which only requires up to 4 ingredients
    Tess1981

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No elf here either. Also, am cutting back this year on crafts as got myself all worked up last year sending loads home. Got a really simple 'cooking' this year. Christmas puddings. Made from small rolled up balls of malt loaf, with little dollops of white icing and a splodge of green edible glitter on top. Done.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    No elf here either. Also, am cutting back this year on crafts as got myself all worked up last year sending loads home. Got a really simple 'cooking' this year. Christmas puddings. Made from small rolled up balls of malt loaf, with little dollops of white icing and a splodge of green edible glitter on top. Done.
    ooh I like that idea. Do you have a link to any pictures of what it should look like when it's done. I might give it a go with mine.

xx

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do too many crafts as all mine are at nursery too so they do them all there!

We are making calendars for parents though, kids have picked 12 photos each, I used the free prints app to get them printed and once they arrive the kids will glue the photos onto the calendars.

Today after school we're going to watch Merry Madagascar!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    ooh I like that idea. Do you have a link to any pictures of what it should look like when it's done. I might give it a go with mine.

xx
    Sorry, no. Will learn soon how to post links.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no 'elf' here .... I think its a bit creepy too!

I have an advent calendar that is opened after school ... it has an activity to do ... usually craft based, and a chocolate for each child ...

with the LOs, I aim to do a card that they make themselves - so usually random paint/stuck on bits and glitter, a wooden tree decoration - usually random paint/stuck on bits and glitter and something that I add their photo to - usually a tree decoration, but one year I found some cheap snow globes!

the schoolies craft is more complicated, but again - apart from providing a few resources - they do their own thing!

we might make ginger biscuits and mince pies in the holidays.

I keep all the craft etc and they take it home on the last day, ready to 'decorate' their house.

I usually put my tree up on Advent sunday, but we haven't yet, as we just know the kittens will destroy it. we are really busy the next couple of weeks with panto and assorted concerts, so i don't know when we get that done. i have boxes of decorations to put up, and loads for the playroom, but haven't got those out either, just the advent calendars and candle.

but I am feeling Christmassy - it was the EY Christmas afternoon - so tea/mince pies & biscuits in the hall, and lots of singing Christmas songs around the tree

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait.

In 25 days it'll all be over bar the debts and recriminations, and I can settle down to enjoy the first test from Durban.

(Is it too early for the first "humbug" of the season?)

13. Likes amanda1309 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I refuse to do anything Christmassy until it actually gets to December, so as usual, it gets to the 1st December and I start to panic that I won't have time to get everything done!

I'll spend the next couple of weeks procrastinating and the final week before I break up will be spent in a blur of glitter and paint as the children make last minute take home presents for their parents.

15. Likes loocyloo, AliceK liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We made advent candles last week, four coloured candles made from kitchen rolls middles and covered in purple and pink paper, We pushed tissue in the top, to be pulled up each sunday of advent to represent the flame being lit. Today we made christmas bottle gardens for parents present. Then there's christmas bells made with yoghurt pots, pipe cleaner xmas trees, and I want to try making handprint snowmen on the bauble. Add in a card and that should do.
    I also like to get them out a lot in the weeks up to xmas as it lessens the xmas hype and uses up some energy caused by the excitement. So busy up to xmas though with grandson 1st birthday one weekend and his party on another, a family meal one sunday and out with friend here there and everywhere. It will be here before I know it. But I love it, and enjoy making the most of it.