Advice on playing rugby at school needed.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on playing rugby at school needed.

Hi
    May be a weird question but does anyone know whether there is a high risk of injury for children (year 7) playing rugby at school, this is proper contact rugby. Is a parent allowed to opt out their child from playing contact rugby at school????

Seems a strange question I know but I have my reasons for asking.

Any advice would be great

Thanks xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question.

I just asked DH who is rugby mad. He is South African and they played it from a very young age. He broke his arm at 11 playing rugby and he said that their medical room at boarding school was always full of people with MINOR rugby injuries. Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear. Maybe it was just his school and a different era - no school wants to be accountable for injuries now and so maybe it is more regulated?

I have no idea if you can opt out, but I don't see why not. Would you feel comfortable talking to the school to find out more? x

3. Likes AliceK liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Hi
    May be a weird question but does anyone know whether there is a high risk of injury for children (year 7) playing rugby at school, this is proper contact rugby. Is a parent allowed to opt out their child from playing contact rugby at school????

Seems a strange question I know but I have my reasons for asking.

Any advice would be great

Thanks xx
    It's not rugby what you see on TV.

You won't be allowed to do scrums, contest a ruck, mauls are only allowed to go 10 yards so it can't collapse. Can't contest high balls. Can't lift in a line out.

A lot was changed 3/4 years to protect young children from injury.

He will need a gum shied because they are children and flailing arms. They should be taught to tackle from middle of the stomach down.

My DH says there is as much chance of injury from football as their is in rugby. But accidents happen in all sports at all ages.
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 06-10-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I worried when my son started playing rugby at school, however, the safety rules were very strict and children had to follow them in order to be allowed to play the game and my son really enjoyed it. He is now in 6th form, never had any injuries from it but..... He did twist his ankle 3 times just walking home from school!!!! I would speak to the teacher and hopefully they can reassure you, at the end of the day they don't want injuries either so have to control the game properly x

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My ds has played Rugby for the past 2 years at school and is now in year 9. He doesn't enjoy Rugby (it must be the only sport he doesn't like!)
    But he's never been injured ...

On Sunday he broke his arm playing football! A friend broke his knee riding his bike.... Accidents can happen anywhere.

9. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your replies.
    My DS is sports mad and seems to excel at every sport he tries however since starting rugby at school he has had some minor injuries, mainly scuffs and scrapes from boots but also twisted knee and a couple of head bangs (nothing serious) so I get the impression it is very physical. I know certain children with certain medical conditions (like my DD) are not allowed to play contact sports at all.
    My DS does competitive swimming and has numerous competitions he's been entered for between Oct and Dec , not to mention all the training he has to do and so he doesn't want to put himself in a position where an injury is more likely to happen right now. He needs to be fit for this and has already had to stop one training session after an hour due to a shoulder injury.
    I know that accidents can happen anywhere at anytime but to put yourself in the position of doing something whereby injuries are commonplace just seems silly.
    I think I will speak to his teacher and see if he can opt out of contact rugby. He already participates fully in gymnastics, cross country, football, basketball and he's not worried about getting injured in those activities but just rugby so I really need to take his worries seriously.

xxx

11. Likes hectors house, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Both my lads played rugby for their county and still play amateur rugby , friendliest etc now.
    I remember when they were 11/12 and just starting and how brave I had to be....we had just paid our life savings for oldest sons teeth so I got specially made gum shields made as I was neurotic....he has lovely teeth now.
    My youngest got knocked out a couple of times in lessons ( DH worked at the school so was there immediately ) so we talked to the school and we bought a soft protective helmet as he was obviously prone to knocks on his head affecting him.
    They were always bruised, I would run a bath after the match and talk about them not having to play this game....but they loved it...they just took the knocks....and I really think it did ' harden' my oldest one up a bit.
    Both have gone on to be all round sportmen...but their sportsmanship came from rugby...definately not football! We follow Northampton Saints and if you watch a match it is a real family activity, you are never worried about fan aggression or language..rugby is definately are more polite family game to watch despite the ' perceived ' aggression on the pitch. There are not many premadonna rugby players...they have their feet on the ground. We follow Aston Villa and Stoke City and I feel happier at Rugby matches.
    So...I firmly believe you should just encourage your lad to take part, despite his negativity, if he is a sportsman he will rise to it...and at the risk of being unpopular in my views....I personally don't think you can pick and choose as a parent the curriculum your child wants to dip in and out of.......and I am sorry if my opinion differs from others...but I don't think you will be doing your lad any favours ...what is he going to say to his peers if he opts out of a sport that everyone else is taking part in?? Knowing teenagers, it really will not do him any favours.
    You have to trust the school that the current health and safety guidelines ensures that your young man will be kept safe, they follow strict guidelines.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough one. I remember my old ballet mistress going ballistic because one of my friends got injured whilst playing hockey at school when we had a show that night. She was spitting feathers and yelled out over the microphone at the dress rehearsal that if she ever hears of any of the mothers letting their child play hockey on the day of one of her shows then she will...(can't remember what the actual threat was, but it was so scary!) I was just so glad that my class wasn't due to do hockey that term. I don't know if any of the mums did prevent their child from doing hockey, but they would have had to have gone into hiding if their child got an injury during a game, lol!

Two of my brothers played rugby as adults, one was always getting minor injuries but the other one never seemed to. Once my brother got a black eye and he had an interview on the Monday and he was paranoid that they would think he was a thug, lol. He got the job though.

Do you know how long he has to do rugby for? Is there the option of him dropping it soon in favour of other sports?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My ds plays in 3 bands and has several concerts coming up ... He also plays piano and is meant to be working for an exam ...

He's broken his arm and everyone has just said 'Oh well ... It's one of those things!'

We were doing a play and one of the girls playing a lead role had been knocked out by a flying hockey ball at school ( nasty bruises too ) ... She wasn't even playing hockey ... Just walking past!

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    My ds plays in 3 bands and has several concerts coming up ... He also plays piano and is meant to be working for an exam ...

He's broken his arm and everyone has just said 'Oh well ... It's one of those things!'

We were doing a play and one of the girls playing a lead role had been knocked out by a flying hockey ball at school ( nasty bruises too ) ... She wasn't even playing hockey ... Just walking past!
    Gosh, poor girl! Hope she is okay. My ballet mistress would never have believed that she was just walking past, lol! Gosh she would never get away with the things she used to say and do nowadays! Glad people are more 'forgiving' of your son"! Is he bothered about missing his music for a while or is he also just accepting it as one of those things?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I put this down as 'life' .

Youngest played drums in a band...second year invited back to Glastonbury.....IT .A level in the afternoon....broke his toes playing football....spent morning in A&E ...did exam in afternoon...had to drive him ( couldn't drive himself!) pm immediately finished school to Glastonbury .....stayed ( euch toilets !) watched him perform ...At Glastonbury .PROUD PARENT MOMENT.. Drove back next day for X-rays and plaster...drove back down after so that he could enjoy performers treats backstage( best mates with Gut Garvey since) .....drove back...knackered .....all because of a miss kick in FOOTBALL!

18. Likes BallyH, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I put this down as 'life' .

Youngest played drums in a band...second year invited back to Glastonbury.....IT .A level in the afternoon....broke his toes playing football....spent morning in A&E ...did exam in afternoon...had to drive him ( couldn't drive himself!) pm immediately finished school to Glastonbury .....stayed ( euch toilets !) watched him perform ...At Glastonbury .PROUD PARENT MOMENT.. Drove back next day for X-rays and plaster...drove back down after so that he could enjoy performers treats backstage( best mates with Gut Garvey since) .....drove back...knackered .....all because of a miss kick in FOOTBALL!
    Toilets at Glastonbury. Horrible. One of the reasons I will never go to the festival again. Feeling nauseous at the memory.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Gosh, poor girl! Hope she is okay. My ballet mistress would never have believed that she was just walking past, lol! Gosh she would never get away with the things she used to say and do nowadays! Glad people are more 'forgiving' of your son"! Is he bothered about missing his music for a while or is he also just accepting it as one of those things?
    He is missing it; yesterday he was attempting the piano with his arm at 90° to the keyboard! He hasn't worked out how to play trombone yet! But equally accepting it as one of those things! Thanks for asking xx

Ps .. girl was fine once all bruising went!

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Both my lads played rugby for their county and still play amateur rugby , friendliest etc now.
    I remember when they were 11/12 and just starting and how brave I had to be....we had just paid our life savings for oldest sons teeth so I got specially made gum shields made as I was neurotic....he has lovely teeth now.
    My youngest got knocked out a couple of times in lessons ( DH worked at the school so was there immediately ) so we talked to the school and we bought a soft protective helmet as he was obviously prone to knocks on his head affecting him.
    They were always bruised, I would run a bath after the match and talk about them not having to play this game....but they loved it...they just took the knocks....and I really think it did ' harden' my oldest one up a bit.
    Both have gone on to be all round sportmen...but their sportsmanship came from rugby...definately not football! We follow Northampton Saints and if you watch a match it is a real family activity, you are never worried about fan aggression or language..rugby is definately are more polite family game to watch despite the ' perceived ' aggression on the pitch. There are not many premadonna rugby players...they have their feet on the ground. We follow Aston Villa and Stoke City and I feel happier at Rugby matches.
    So...I firmly believe you should just encourage your lad to take part, despite his negativity, if he is a sportsman he will rise to it...and at the risk of being unpopular in my views....I personally don't think you can pick and choose as a parent the curriculum your child wants to dip in and out of.......and I am sorry if my opinion differs from others...but I don't think you will be doing your lad any favours ...what is he going to say to his peers if he opts out of a sport that everyone else is taking part in?? Knowing teenagers, it really will not do him any favours.
    You have to trust the school that the current health and safety guidelines ensures that your young man will be kept safe, they follow strict guidelines.
    This is my dhs view about rugby does help he plays though. Most of his really serious injuries come from football or him playing well injured.
    Dh won't let ds sho is 8 go and play yet because he can't do full contact. Doesn't want him to pick up bad habits.
    Ds plays football and is currently at the development of our local premiership sides but they are very focused just on football and keep suggesting that us the only sport he plays. They look horrified when I say he is going to try out for rugby.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

23. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At our school they only seem to do each sport for a term, then move onto another, so your worries about rugby might be short lived.

If you wanted to prevent your son from getting injured before a competition I'd have thought you'd have to ask that he be excused from all sports as he could just as easily be injured in any of them.

25. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    At our school they only seem to do each sport for a term, then move onto another, so your worries about rugby might be short lived.

If you wanted to prevent your son from getting injured before a competition I'd have thought you'd have to ask that he be excused from all sports as he could just as easily be injured in any of them.
    That's true. I have had to buy ds football boots for rugby for him to use 6 times. Strangely they can play football in trainers

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your worries about Rugby. My two children weren't into it at all..when they did do it in PE they both had a gum shield.

4 weeks ago my 16yr old son badly twisted his ankle in Badminton...he's been off sports since, he's just getting back into it slowly which is a pain because his college course is 60% sports.
    Hes also badly pulled a muscle under his knee doing high jump for sports day
    And my DD pulled her hip muscle along with a cornflake shapes piece of bone doing the sprint for sports day (uneven sports field grass)

So I think sports in general could cause injury at any time
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

28. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    That's true. I have had to buy ds football boots for rugby for him to use 6 times. Strangely they can play football in trainers
    We also are on Rugby for this half term and my son got a warning sticker in his homework diary from the PE teacher as he didn't have any training boots!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has just started Yr7 and playing rubgy and loves it ( for the first time ever he has signed up for an extra-curricular activity! ) Anyway, he needs some shin pads and knee length socks and I have no clue about these things. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks (and sorry for thread-crashing ).

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    My son has just started Yr7 and playing rubgy and loves it ( for the first time ever he has signed up for an extra-curricular activity! ) Anyway, he needs some shin pads and knee length socks and I have no clue about these things. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks (and sorry for thread-crashing ).
    Go to sports direct and talk to an assistant! They always have to help me out! :-)
    Socks will be football socks in a delightful synthetic fabric. (I would have thought school pe kit included football socks? Mind you, ds has several pairs as sometimes he needs 2 a day or day after! ) ds likes shin pads that have an elastic sock type bit that go round the heel/ankle/back of the foot. Enjoy shopping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast