Thread: Geocaching!

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Geocaching!

I've been out scouting for places to hide caches/ and placing some ...

I identified a perfect spot the other week ... got permission - someone has placed one the other side of the wall to where I want to ... can't place it there !!! don't know who they got permission from! no one knew of any cache being placed there!

checked out another - it appears its a SSSI place! ... so the gov't can give permission for the whole of Yorkshire to be fracked, INCLUDING, the north York moors ( SSSI ) ... but I can't place a little cache there! I'm tracking down someone for permission - but in that I've also been chasing them for permission for a different cache since early July ... it might take a while! they agreed that cache in principle - just needed someone higher up to approve!

3rd cache - placed, and because I'd mentioned the local summer fair/show, I had to remove that mention and then it should be ok !!!

I have a few other spots - they look ok to me... but who knows?!!!

might just stick to looking for them !!!

although I've managed to hide 4 previously without any problems!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously need to get into this.

What do I do? I think I have to download an app on my phone...

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

that's a good way to geocache!

I would have a look at geocaching.com ... as it explains it all, and I personally find it much easier to read information on a bigger screen than my phone!

its great fun, and a good thing to do when out and about! I've found ( and taken the rest of the family to ) some amazing places I would never have seen if not for geocaching!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    that's a good way to geocache!

I would have a look at geocaching.com ... as it explains it all, and I personally find it much easier to read information on a bigger screen than my phone!

its great fun, and a good thing to do when out and about! I've found ( and taken the rest of the family to ) some amazing places I would never have seen if not for geocaching!
    But how do I find a geocache near me? I thought that was why I needed the app. Will geocaching.com tell me? (Going to look at it now!). How far away from home do you go? Have you ever been unsuccessful?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    But how do I find a geocache near me? I thought that was why I needed the app. Will geocaching.com tell me? (Going to look at it now!). How far away from home do you go? Have you ever been unsuccessful?
    if you have returned from the geocaching world ... you should be able to get it to find your location/look at the map, and it will bring up all caches near you. you should then also be able to find them on your phone app. OR, when looking at the map, and you get little boxes ( caches) appearing - click on one and read, then take a note of the code number, starts with a GC then letters/numbers and you can then search for that within your phone app to find it.

I am totally untechnological in everyway, and I managed to do it, so I'm sure you will!!!

enjoy!

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Myself and the family love geocaching, we have been doing it for about 4 years now and have found just over 800. As you say Loocyloo it takes you to some amazing beautiful places. I use my iPhone and also have a garmin gps

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Geocaching.
    I took a mindee (11) out last week to do a puzzle one. Don't think he was too impressed with all the walking though.

Also went out on Sunday to do a series of 30 on a 6 mile walk although we only managed 10 before we got soaked.
    If youre using a mobile phone app its sometimes a good idea to download the cache at home otherwise you sometimes get into the middle of the country side to find no signal.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Read all about it on the website, make an account which is free on a computer and you will see all the geocaches. There will be a lot around you as they are all over the world.

I think the app on an iPhone may cost £7.99 or around there which is a lot for an app but this will enable you to cache with you phone if you have enough data.
    Or you could purchase a Garmin off ebay for very cheap
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How does the garmin work for it. Is there something you download? Also, how do you download the app at home in case you Lose coverage on phone?

We have found a few, and not found a few! Kids always have fun looking for them but only ever found one lunch box size one with stuff in for them to take.. We usually just look up some near to where we Are going but may have to take a more proactive approach and go where the geocaches are instead!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At home you can just use the website as above. It has similar information to the app and stores all your 'finds'.

The app has a compass which points in the direction of the cache and counts down the distance.

I'm not an avid geocacher but sometimes check if one is near when I'm out.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I signed up to the website and was SO excited to see that there are so many near me! If there is one with a spanner symbol (needs work/attention) do you not bother with those?

Hopefully doing one this weekend.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We are about to set off to do our first one....oooooh, I'm sooooo excited!!!
    I'll let you know.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the pinnacle of human achievement: employing the finest satellite technology available to dig up Tupperware in a wet forest.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Ah, the pinnacle of human achievement: employing the finest satellite technology available to dig up Tupperware in a wet forest.
    ...........but have fun.

17. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all in the chase Bunyip, it's all in the chase!

Well we found four! The first one is the most exciting. DD,6, loved the clues. One of ours was in a graveyard and the last one we did was opposite a packed beer garden and so we felt a bit self conscious - and then the lady from the next door property came outside with her dog asking "Can I help you"? with a suspicious look on her face. Charming!

We're all cream crackered now - great way to exercise!

19. Likes Ripeberry, bunyip liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've signed up Amazed to find that there are quite a few in my area. I also like the idea of 'Trackables'. I think I'll put a 'Travel Bug' on my car and see if it gets spotted. It's distinctive enough as it is, will Smurfs all over it
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well we found four! The first one is the most exciting. DD,6, loved the clues. One of ours was in a graveyard and the last one we did was opposite a packed beer garden and so we felt a bit self conscious - and then the lady from the next door property came outside with her dog asking "Can I help you"? with a suspicious look on her face. Charming!

Yay :0) glad you enjoyed it.

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    I've signed up Amazed to find that there are quite a few in my area. I also like the idea of 'Trackables'. I think I'll put a 'Travel Bug' on my car and see if it gets spotted. It's distinctive enough as it is, will Smurfs all over it
    I have a travel bug on the loose ... but its gone missing :0 (

I want to put one on my car but dh is not keen!

25. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had such fun.

Why do ladies with dogs always ask that when they're doing their "neighbourhood watch" thing?

If I ever get beaten to death in the village, I bet the last thing my failing senses will perceive will be a dear old lady with some vile pug on a lead asking my murderers, "can I help you dearies?"

27. Likes Ripeberry, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If only Burke and Hare had had such a great alibi, they'd have gotten away with it. ("No officer, we're only geocaching............honest.")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast