Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you wash cuddly toys?

Took DD for her first eye test this morning due to her blinking excessively recently. The optometrist thinks it is a dust allergy. As she has started rubbing her eyes upon waking he asked if she sleeps with a cuddly toy (well, she sleeps with 12 - we have to do a roll call each night). He said it is pretty common in children because the toys harbour dust and don't get washed often. I must confess, I haven't washed the cuddly toys ever (she's never been one to put them in her mouth, otherwise I would have done). I remember my nan taking my cuddly toys to the laundrette to be washed (DD just asked me what a laundrette is) and then hanging them all on the line to dry. I used to love it.

Does anyone know if I can wash toys with squeakers - will they still work? Has anyone washed a 'Build-a-Bear' toy with a sound inside it?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I washed my sons favourite penguin once and his head flopped - he was never the same again! I have got a tub of old clean soft toys so I think I might try the tumble dryer idea here

://housedustmite.com/doctors-describe-how-to-kill-dust-mites-in-soft-toys

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I tried washing my own childhood teddy. He was about 45 years old at the time (he's older than me!)

As soon as the machine started filing with water I regretted it and sat with a sinking feeling as I sat watching him spin round. He did survive, but I promised I'd never do it again - I don't think I could stand the stress!

I don't think I'd wash a build a bear teddy if it's got a sound in it. I don't think that would survive.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Freeze them - kills the dust mites which is what causes allergies normally - then wash - I wash them all even if they say not to but not ones with squeakers or batteries. But then we don't have special ones here - I have even washed my DDs scented unicorns and they still smell as they did. If you are worried hand wash carefully?

A Guide to Toy Hygiene

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I washed one of my DD's Build a Bear bears and tumble dried it once after she was sick on it - had no choice. I was a bit worried as the sound didn't work straight away but it obviously just needed to dry out a bit more because it was fine again eventually.

xxx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I washed one of my DD's Build a Bear bears and tumble dried it once after she was sick on it - had no choice. I was a bit worried as the sound didn't work straight away but it obviously just needed to dry out a bit more because it was fine again eventually.

xxx
    Oh gosh, I bet you were worried! I would be in such trouble if the meow in her Build a Bear/cat stopped working!

Post Thanks / Like

I wash all my soft toys regularly even the ones with squeakers although not all survive

Wouldn't wash the build a bear or anything with a battery just in case!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading the links in above posts and yuk! Can't believe I let these things share a bed/pillow with my girl.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also tie them up in a bin liner for a week to kill dust mites etc.

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with Tulip. Freeze them to kill dust mites. Then you can surface wash them. Having said that, DD's precious 'Winnie the Pooh' has had to go in the washing machine a few times when she was ill and it has survived although looking at old photos, it has definitely faded. If it's a serious allergy, you can also get special allergy sheets (alprotec - pricey!). We had to do this with DD and she had to have a travel one and take her pillow case with her. Fortunately it's better now. Also, if your DD has a fabric headboard you might need to swap it for a wooden one/none at all.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Agree with Tulip. Freeze them to kill dust mites. Then you can surface wash them. Having said that, DD's precious 'Winnie the Pooh' has had to go in the washing machine a few times when she was ill and it has survived although looking at old photos, it has definitely faded. If it's a serious allergy, you can also get special allergy sheets (alprotec - pricey!). We had to do this with DD and she had to have a travel one and take her pillow case with her. Fortunately it's better now. Also, if your DD has a fabric headboard you might need to swap it for a wooden one/none at all.
    Good advice about the sheets. She has a wooden headboard but I have cleaned the lampshade on her bedside table. When I put the toys in the freezer I take it I put them in a plastic bag first? Also I don't have a tumble dryer so I hope they dry quickly enough as I know mites like damp environments.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Good advice about the sheets. She has a wooden headboard but I have cleaned the lampshade on her bedside table. When I put the toys in the freezer I take it I put them in a plastic bag first? Also I don't have a tumble dryer so I hope they dry quickly enough as I know mites like damp environments.
    Yes, in a plastic bag, for hygiene purposes. I used to rotate them - put one cuddly in first thing in the morning, hoick it out before bedtime and repeat with a different one the following day. Apart from anything else, I didn't have room in my freezer for more than one at a time! You can use a hair dryer to dry/warm them. I have fond(!) memories of trying to dry Winnie the Pooh under a pathetic, cold hand dryer at a service after DD had been travel sick once.

18. Likes Maza liked this post