Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Colouring for grown ups therapy

A few years ago I visited my son's exchange family in Paris. The mum introduced me to colouring for grown ups, it's quite the past time for busy professional women in France. I loved it and always have a colouring book on the go..colouring for grown up series mainly.

It is so therapeutic, you zone out and it gives your mind time to recharge, I always relax after I have spent time colouring.
    It's a bit like yoga in a wierd way.

For christmas my son in South America arranged for Amazon to send me 'secret garden' by Johanna Basford. On a work away a French couple had it , male and female, he was impressed by their art and thought I would like it ....

I cannot sing its praises more! I have been continuing to nurse a cold this week so as soon as the LO's have disappeared I have collapsed into a corner of my sofa, not like me, I am so useless at relaxing by sitting but my bones have insisted this week. So I have been colouring, to Mozart . It's been great, I have used it to experiment with colour for ideas for my garden this year too. I have been able to switch off and just sit. ( we don't watch much TV )

So I thought I would share.
    If you google 'secret garden Johanna Basford ' she has a facebook site, a website with a gallery ( yesterday and today I have been copying one I saw on there) Amazon has her book ( my friend told me book people did too but I can't see it).
    I use staedtler ergo soft pencils, but the children's work too! You need a good pencil sharpener though.

If you google colouring for grown ups - france the Independent and Huffington post have a number of articles too.

2. Likes ginag liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely thread.

I almost always join in with the lo's when the wax crayons come out. In fact 9 times out of 10, I'm stil at it when they say, "I'm bored, can I take it home to finish?"

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I like colouring it's really calming

5. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

me too!

I have my own pens and pencils and I don't share them!

I like the pattern books, but am currently enjoying a miffy colouring book using thick bright pens

7. Likes lollipop kid, shortstuff, FloraDora liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    A few years ago I visited my son's exchange family in Paris. The mum introduced me to colouring for grown ups, it's quite the past time for busy professional women in France. I loved it and always have a colouring book on the go..colouring for grown up series mainly.

It is so therapeutic, you zone out and it gives your mind time to recharge, I always relax after I have spent time colouring.
    It's a bit like yoga in a wierd way.

For christmas my son in South America arranged for Amazon to send me 'secret garden' by Johanna Basford. On a work away a French couple had it , male and female, he was impressed by their art and thought I would like it ....

I cannot sing its praises more! I have been continuing to nurse a cold this week so as soon as the LO's have disappeared I have collapsed into a corner of my sofa, not like me, I am so useless at relaxing by sitting but my bones have insisted this week. So I have been colouring, to Mozart . It's been great, I have used it to experiment with colour for ideas for my garden this year too. I have been able to switch off and just sit. ( we don't watch much TV )

So I thought I would share.
    If you google 'secret garden Johanna Basford ' she has a facebook site, a website with a gallery ( yesterday and today I have been copying one I saw on there) Amazon has her book ( my friend told me book people did too but I can't see it).
    I use staedtler ergo soft pencils, but the children's work too! You need a good pencil sharpener though.

If you google colouring for grown ups - france the Independent and Huffington post have a number of articles too.
    I had a look and the pages that came up are gorgeous! I can see how they inspired you with garden ideas. (I was only just looking at mine the other day and thinking about what I should add.)

Thank you for sharing this. I love drawing but haven't done any for ages. Perhaps I'll ease myself back in with a bit of colouring. I bought some beautiful colouring books for my daughter a while ago but she hasn't used them yet. Think I'll start with those! (I have no children here today - the perfect time.)

L

9. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband loves colouring in and uses twistsbles, my 7 yr old dd got new vibrant ones for her birthday and DH was jealous lol

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My last assistant had her own adult colouring book and pens that I bought her for the quiet times and she loved it. It had to stop when she had her own baby who doesn't let her do anything. She's hoping to get back into it when he starts playgroup soon - very relaxing

13. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Lovely thread. I almost always join in with the lo's when the wax crayons come out. In fact 9 times out of 10, I'm stil at it when they say, "I'm bored, can I take it home to finish?"
    I love using crayons, colouring pencils etc too. But I find if I colour with the children, they end up comparing their drawings with mine or asking me to draw for them.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    I love using crayons, colouring pencils etc too. But I find if I colour with the children, they end up comparing their drawings with mine or asking me to draw for them.
    I hear what you're saying. I also find it mildly embarrassing when their colouring is better than mine.

16. Likes FloraDora, sing-low, shortstuff liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update on my skills!

Now, any artist out there will probably smile in amazement at my lack of knowledge ....but...

When I copied a colouring in Johanna Basford's book from a picture in her gallery that someone sent in I was constantly frustrated in my lack of ability to blend smoothly.

I have returned to my sofa after my library swap session and spent some time around you tube colouring videos ...

The White pencil helps to blend!!! It's not just a colour to use on dark paper!! ( I really should know this from photoshop but my brain has not processed transferable skills and knowledge! )

Also, DH has presented me with a cocktail ( hot toddy family) which not only seems to be helping my breathing but my view of my blending too, so combined with my white pencil all my flowers have soft edges!

Happy colouring everyone!

18. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Update on my skills!

Now, any artist out there will probably smile in amazement at my lack of knowledge ....but...

When I copied a colouring in Johanna Basford's book from a picture in her gallery that someone sent in I was constantly frustrated in my lack of ability to blend smoothly.

I have returned to my sofa after my library swap session and spent some time around you tube colouring videos ...

The White pencil helps to blend!!! It's not just a colour to use on dark paper!! ( I really should know this from photoshop but my brain has not processed transferable skills and knowledge! )

Also, DH has presented me with a cocktail ( hot toddy family) which not only seems to be helping my breathing but my view of my blending too, so combined with my white pencil all my flowers have soft edges!

Wha'ddya mean "pencil"? You're getting a bit arty-sophisticated here. Some of us are still on stubby wax crayons.

20. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Update on my skills!

Closet artist here - the white pencil is called a blending stick. (Not that I've done anything arty since Art College many years ago - unless that is you count the hand-drawn labels on my resources. Sad!)

Glad you're getting looked after. Sounds lovely!

L

22. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Closet artist here - the white pencil is called a blending stick. (Not that I've done anything arty since Art College many years ago - unless that is you count the hand-drawn labels on my resources. Sad!)

Glad you're getting looked after. Sounds lovely!

L
    So, never mind LJ, planning, observations, tracking.....in the interest of our minds, not Ofsted I think you should post about really basic colouring techniques Lollipop ( will also upskill Bunyip so that he becomes as good as his children).

Share your wonderful skill!

24. Likes lollipop kid, Maza, bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread, yesterday I found myself ordering a fairy colouring book that looks really pretty and thought me and my DD could share it :-).

26. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, never mind LJ, planning, observations, tracking.....in the interest of our minds, not Ofsted I think you should post about really basic colouring techniques Lollipop ( will also upskill Bunyip so that he becomes as good as his children). Share your wonderful skill!
    Ooh, yes, there's lots of sharing about activity ideas but less about the actual skills involved.

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Prismacolor Colored Pencils | Soft Core Drawing Pencil Sets

Birthday today - DH gave me a big set of these!!

I was so excited - I overlooked some expensive perfume that was in the bag!

Now I just have to learn how to use them !

30. Likes Mrs Scrubbit, Maza, shortstuff liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday FloraDora, hope you've had a brilliant day You have me' hooked', after reading your thread I went out and bought a couple of adult colouring books and some 'posh' coloured pencils( not as 'posh as yours but much better that the ones in the kiddies box!). I've also searched youtube for info on shading and adding texture........I've never done anything like this in my life( and I've lived quite a long one!)......Ooooooooh a new hobby, thanks for unleashing the budding artist in mexxx

32. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday for yesterday! (I think I remember you saying it was on St Patrick's day.) What a fabulous gift!
    Did you have a nice day? x

34. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Philippa Perry cooments on colouring in today's guardian lifestyle

Colouring in can free your mind. Let

Yes thankyou Maza I did!

36. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Received a lovely parcel today - love you mum - colouring book.

Had a bit of a heart to heart over Easter with youngest about the life of a 24 year old.........

Amazon now have loads of grown up colouring books in their top 20!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast