Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SO WHAT ARE EVERYONES PLANS FOR NEW YEARS EVE

Do you love it?

Or do you hate it?

Are you out celebrating or do you stay in and celebrate.

Dh is working again I can remember a year for the last 7 he hasn't worked so its just me and the kids.

We usually have a board game, dvd chocolate and food.

Don't see the new year in as dh has to be at work the next day.

So what are your plans?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am helping organise a large Hogmany Party in the town so we will be at it until the wee small hours. Kids get to go to and Soup and Stovies are made for serving at 10pm to help soak up the booze.

Should be a good night as there are 2 bands and a disco with a lone piper for the bells.
    Fiona xx

3. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working tomorrow so will be too shattered tomorrow night to do anything much. TBH I have never seen the point of new years eve and am too old and tired now to even stay up to see it in so i'll be in bed although probably woken up by all the fireworks that go off at midnight. Boring I know lol

xxx

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) well ... we never bother too much about new year unless away with friends but this year I thought we ought to do something! .... so ... we are going away in the campervan :-D:-D
    Just overnight to a local site and will play games, listen to music and eat lots! Still probably go to bed before new year but will be good fun! :-)

7. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We're really excited about New Years Eve.

We always get together with two other couples and this year we're going to Lynford Hall in Suffolk. Champagne reception, afternoon tea, 5 course dinner, dancing, fireworks followed by bacon butties. The best thing is that breakfast isn't served the next day until 11.00 so a nice lie-in too. I've just noticed it's all about the food here so back on the diet next year!

Have a fab one, whatever you do!

9. Likes Maza, FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My annual rant follows:-

The rigmarole of dressing up in something flimsy to go out in icy weather that laughs at anything not the colour of sludge. Why bother? The cold, cheerless journey that deep down you already know is not worth the hassle.

Whose idea of a good time is this? Ticket prices so inflated they would make a Weimar German balk. Door queues long enough to feature as a traffic incident. The enforced jollity of a battery farm of party-goers, few of whom know each other, let alone like each other, and yet appear determined to taste your tonsils. Amateur drinkers demanding Babychams and service from underpaid, overworked staff in pubs they only set foot in once a year. The Olympic sprint to get as drunk as possible (despite the extortion for watered drinks at the bar, which are spilt as you're jostled all the way back to your table, only to find that someone's pinched your seat and thrown up in your jacket pocket.)

Then The Big Moment. And of course, the bit when everyone cheers the bongs of midnight, as if they carried any more significance than any other midnight for anybody with even the slightest grip on reality. It's only Thursday for god's sake - it doesn't mean anything.

Selfish morons sending unlicenced explosives skywards to wake up every sensible human and terrified pet on the planet. Money burnt by those who then complain about the high cost of childcare.

Why do we do this? The alcohol-marinated man who flails around for a hug before confidently laying down his nuanced judgment: "Next year cannot be any worse". (His ancestors surely predicted the same in 1065, 1913, or 1938, yet still somehow got missed when the gods of war were busy purging the gene pool.)

The two hours wait for a battered Astra masquerading as a minicab driven by some Charlie who is probably listed on the sex offenders register for all you know. Giving up and accepting volatile (but inevitably seatless) transit on the prison-on-wheels they laughingly call the New Year's Eve nightbus.

The silent totting up of how much this expedition has cost. And to what end? Running the gauntlet of still-stewed revellers on the road outside your house. The grey daylight peeping in through the curtains, stabbing needles of unwelcome light into your throbbing brain. And the Sun could be forgiven for wondering, "what are they all complaining about? I herald the day they all wanted to see: the first day of a new year! Why aren't they all here to welcome me?" The certain knowledge that a quiet night in with the radio would have been better spent. The solemn resolution that next year you will do just that.

I'm certainly not a member or supporter of the UK Intolerance Party but........Say "no" to the single European calendar. Celebrate the true and traditional New Year on Monday 14th January.

A tip. Give it all a miss. Give the pub staff a rest, then pop down your local next week, when they'll be delighted to see you and help make it worth opening the place. Cos all those staff who were forced to work in appalling conditions for Christmas and New Year are otherwise gonna be laid off by the time everyone had figured out that nothing at all really changed after the bongs went quiet and the hangovers wore off and all the rohypnol ran out.......

Anyway, have a good and happy one....
    ....whenever it starts.

11. Likes AliceK, FloraDora, Ripeberry, Dragonfly liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

At least your are not moaning Bunyip bet you really enjoyed that rant

13. Likes Maza, bunyip, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New year

Well I'm working tomorrow for a doctor till 9pm then first one arriving New Year's Day a 7.30am did not ask if I was going out & was it ok that time suppose my fault for not saying anything. Then 8.30 for another doctor. So I'm not doing anything except working Saturday and Sunday .

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip you just described NYE in my early 20s! When we tired of spending it in our local town we decided to give London a try for a couple of NYEs. Never again, for all the reasons you described. Now I actually live in London I could think of nothing worse! So we decided to do Edinburgh two years running, and then Barcelona. I remember one year when I was a teen I babysat and earned double the usual rate. I remember listening to all the fireworks going off and merriment in the street and feeling really jealous, imagining that everyone was having the party of their lives and of course meeting the man of their dreams. I vowed to NEVER stay in on NYE again! Now of course, I love staying in. Each time we have to go to the loo we comment on how lovely it is to not have to queue and then dodge the vomit and to have lovely loo roll! After the fireworks on TV we also comment on how lovely it is to just toddle off to our cosy bed and not have to wait for hours for a cab or tube home whilst freezing our you know whats off. We will cook a nice meal and set the table nicely and have good booze but that's it. x

16. Likes FloraDora, AliceK, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Scottish parents made sure that every new year was fantastic - always at home, starting with a big steak pie meal for later juice soaking lining, so I sort of have to make sure I do something now....

We have fallen into a routine of indian out ( change from Christmas food) with very dear friends, back to a home for silly games whilst D H watches Jools ( he's a humbug about games) big sparkly celebration with Auld Lang syne, reminiscent chatter then a lovely stroll home, saying happy new year to everyone we meet.

Comfy clothes, not too much, but enough nice drinks, favourite friends.

Today - the last day of the year......I have inherited my mothers obsession with making sure my home is deep cleaned for the New Year to start....so all the Christmas music gifts will be played loudly ( mine was First Aid Kit) as we clean and polish........ Long soak in a bath before donning comfy glad rags and walking to our local restaurant..... Enjoy your last day of 2014 folks.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that you shouldn't do any washing on new years eve?? My mum has drummed this in to me forever, apparently if you do you wash someone out of your life. No-one I know has ever heard of this and thinks I'm mad lol.

xxx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that you shouldn't do any washing on new years eve?? My mum has drummed this in to me forever, apparently if you do you wash someone out of your life. No-one I know has ever heard of this and thinks I'm mad lol.

xxx
    I thought it was New years Day and that you wash all your good luck away
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post

xxx
    So .... ' washing'. What type? I don't wash clothes but I definately wash surfaces!

Reason for having fewer friends now resolved I think!!

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

We always spend Hogmanay with family so tonight we're all off to the local beach to join lots of other families and watch some fireworks, that's if it's not raining!!

Have a good one everyone

23. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    :-) well ... we never bother too much about new year unless away with friends but this year I thought we ought to do something! .... so ... we are going away in the campervan :-D:-D
    Just overnight to a local site and will play games, listen to music and eat lots! Still probably go to bed before new year but will be good fun! :-)
    ooh have fun loocyloo. keep warm
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

25. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hubs is scottish so always a big deal. we're off to a pub/live band with friends and leaving to get back here to see in NY with our teens. My 15 year old now has a girlfriend which is slightly scary! lol. Drinkie and soup with them then off to bed!
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

27. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Gosh - haven't heard of the no washing clothes thing! Once I hear of a superstition though I have to abide by it 'just in case'. It drives hubby mad! Glad I did some yesterday so hopefully I can get away with it for NYE and NYD. Or, maybe you can wash someone horrible out of your life...Can you pick who you wash out?

29. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh Gosh - haven't heard of the no washing clothes thing! Once I hear of a superstition though I have to abide by it 'just in case'. It drives hubby mad! Glad I did some yesterday so hopefully I can get away with it for NYE and NYD. Or, maybe you can wash someone horrible out of your life...Can you pick who you wash out?
    oh no .... I've got a load in the machine as I type!

31. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    oh no .... I've got a load in the machine as I type!
    I was always told tomorrow as well. maybe that's what Im doing wrong laughing in the face of superstition by using the washer

33. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    At least your are not moaning Bunyip bet you really enjoyed that rant

Everyone else calls it "moaning".

I like to think of it as an alternative form of reflective practice.

I'm campaigning to have "miserable old g1t" recognised as a protected category within the Equality Act. Anyone wanna join.....?

35. Likes Dragonfly liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast