Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursdays are Awful

I always have problems with DD(8) after school.

She either comes out of school with a real cob on or if her mood is good the first thing to go wrong sets her off on one.

Tonight it was because I couldn't have her friend over tonight. No room in car. Tried arguing the toss with me over it for over 10 mins.
    Then when she got home she had melt down due to not being able to get the travel cot down, screaming, shouting, stamping on the floor.
    Next it was rudeness over green grapes at snack, she prefers red!

It is like this most weeks. I am at the end of my tether by tea and on the brink of tears.

Not sure what it is. Is this a difficult day for alot of children? Also am stumped what to do. Feel like putting her in tea-time club and getting hubby to pick-up as I can't keep doing this week in week out.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What lessons does she have on Thursday? Is there anything that could make her particularly tired, or anything she doesn't really like? Do they have something for lunch that she doesn't like, so doesn't eat & is hungry?

I always used to take my children a banana to eat on the way home from school. If they were hungry it filled them up a bit and if they were just being stroppy, letting them eat was better than having to listen to them moaning!

3. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good thoughts Mouse, also do you do something on a Thursday that she misses or doesn't like? Perhaps teacher has PpA and someone else covers on a Thursday? Group work and she doesn't like her group...
    If you think of when we 'have a melt down' it is usually a series of grumbles and then the last irritation causes over reaction....same for children. Talk to her about how she feels on a Thursday...at the weekend when she is back on even keel.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a different/extra child on a Thursday who takes more of your time or DD doesn't like, do you take mindees somewhere on a Thursday and she feels she misses out even if it is only for LO's. Other than that like others have said is it something in school would it be worth talking to her teacher bearing in mind she will be moving class soon has this only just started does it co-incidence with talk of new teachers, can you chat with her at bed time about her mood.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

What happens on Wednesday does she have a late night.
    Try taking a snack to school to eat before you leave the playground, sandwich banana etc

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that she is exhausted as it is nearly the end of the week? What are circumstances like on a Friday?
    My DD, 5, used to be awful on the way home from school (about a half hour journey which includes a bus). She was worse when I had mindees with me because she was jealous of them being in the pushchair when she was exhausted and had to share my attention etc. I couldn't say it was a particular day of the week, just whenever I had mindees, although she wasn't great any day.

I increased the snack that I took to school with me. She loves fruit but her friends were all getting crisps/biscuits etc for their snack and so I don't take fruit for her after school snack as she wouldn't be happy. I make healthy flapjacks with lots of dried fruit, or biscuits with brown rice puffs (like rice Krispies but no sugar - you add honey so they are yummy) as these are a bit more filling. Also, when she gets home I have an 'activity' prepared just for her, so that she has a nice distraction just for her whilst I get everyone else /tea sorted. It might be paints, a small world scene, a craft project etc. Is there anywhere 'quiet' that your DD could go for half an hour, perhaps chill out and watch TV in your room (I know a mum who has to do this for her DD), or maybe a more physical outlet if she has had lessons which require her to be sitting for extended periods that day.

Have you asked her about Thursdays? Maybe she would actually enjoy the after school club. The other thing I have done with my daughter was have a chat about boundaries, because like you I was starting to get really stressed over it. I know they take their frustrations out on us at the end of the day and to some extent that's fine, but their has to be a limit on what you will put up with. I had to get quite firm with her in the end. Things are a little better now. x

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We have just reached back chat/continue debate age and find my DSs are doing similar arguing the toss abt anything and everything. I read a gr8 article abt bk chat it said in brief/for example...

Parent.....u can't have choc bars for breakfast cause it's an unhealthy choice.

Child.... But but but ....

Parent .... I have explain, if u continue to discuss/debate/argue there will b consequences. If u feel the need u can write it down in u journal and I will re explain my reasons at chat bk time ( set a time when things can be discussed)

Sort and sweet do not get in a debate abt anything it just fuels the fire .

This has worked really well with my DSs I did explain the situation to them and the new 'system' I was putting in place. - I think occasionally they just need reminding of the boundaries etc.

Also like everyone else has suggested what happens on a Thursday????

DS2 had his bday party this week we had x3 friends over x1 was soooo loud and although DS2 invited him n in his close group of friends the amount of noise he made - no wonder sometimes DS2 comes out of sch so grumpy... I would be too with that noise in my head allday.

HTH xT

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No late nights on a Wednesday. Thursday's used to be the day I had my unsettled sisters, but they are OK now and DD really likes playing with the older one, even though she's not quite 3 yet. Friday's is one of her favourite days.

I think I will bring a more substantial snack to school and a bottle of water, and see if this helps. However, I have chatted to DD and just simply think it's Endofweekitis!

I popped out early evening and when I got back, DD was in bed but still awake. We cuddled up and had a chat and it turns out she had been snubbed by one of her closest friends. I think she just get's tired and takes everything personally. My Mum reminded me that she has always been a moody madam at the back end of the school year.

We'll see what happens this week.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    . I think she just get's tired and takes everything personally. My Mum reminded me that she has always been a moody madam at the back end of the school year.
    At least your mum agrees with you that your daughter is being moody, my mum just used to say things like "I can see where she gets it from, you were just like that at her age"!

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My girls are Always tired
    At end of week and don't handle things so well.. They have been wrecked the last few weeks as end of term approaches and luckily now off school for the hols so will see how they are! Hope your dd settles soon and that is what it is x