Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default council house question.

The house next door to us is council. Is there a minimum amount of nights a week you should stay there to keep the house?

The woman who has the house hasn't stayed there at all for over a month. She pops back on a friday with a bin bag and puts the wheelie bin out. This is the longest she's been without staying, normally comes back 1 night a week. (We share a driveway so see her car)

Dh wants to report her as 1 of his friends has been waiting almost 2 years to get a house. I'm struggling with the decision! I know he's right, theres a poor family out there that could do with this house and she's not living in it. But.... what if we get a horrible neigbour who causes problems for my business?
    Also I think she would guess it was us even though other neighbours have mentioned it!

Any thoughts?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, does anyone live there, or is it empty?

Do you know why she doesn't stay there? Perhaps she has a good reason for it.

Personally, I'd keep my nose out. If the house was given to someone else, you might be lucky and have lovely neighbours, or you might get the neighbours from hell! I think I'd prefer the empty house rather than taking the risk!

3. Likes Koala, Dragonfly, ziggy, Maza, Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I probably wouldn't report it either.

As mouse said the empty house is far better than neighbours from hell.

Also would your reporting get you anywhere other than potentially a bad relationship with the current occupier if she finds out or puts two and two together that it was you?!

Also if you did report - would it play on your mind? If so definitely not worth reporting. Sometimes these things sound a good idea but when you do them it mithers you if you've done the right thing or not.

Oh & always be careful what you say to other people on your street too. You never know who you can 100% trust these days.

xx

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

The occupier may have reasons for staying away so much - a sick relative, accessing medical treatment herself and getting help from others, she may just be sleeping around a bit the point I am trying to make is - you really don't know and why should you. I would not report anything, I think more harm than good could come from it. at least she is putting her bin out, it's more than my neighbours do sometimes!

6. Likes bunyip, Maza, Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

She's moved in with her boyfriend and is keeping the house incase it doesn't work out. DH is convinced we should report her, I don't think it's a good idea for all the reasons you've all given!

He just keeps saying how unfair it is that she has a house that she doesn't live in when his friend and children are living in an emergency housing bedsit.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with your husband , or at least my social conscience does!
    the reality is this would probably be overcome by the selfish part of me who wouldn't want to suffer the consequences of reporting - potential poorer neighbours , bad feeling .... so Id end up turning a blind eye.
    Id feel guilty whichever course of action I took!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the unfairness, but then, is it any more 'fair' that footballers live in enormous houses just cos they can chase a ball twice a week.

Assuming the fact that she's moved in with the bf is fact and not just rumour, I suspect this may sort itself out. If the move doesn't work out, she'll move back - if it does, then why would she want to keep paying rent on an unused property?

If you're uncomfortable about it, then enquire if you can report it as a concern without having to give any personal details, so the complaint cannot be traced back to you.

As others have said, though, an empty house might be a lot better than a house full of problems. What if you ended up with Nigel Farage living next to you?

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

difficult one, l agree that she has probably moved in with a bf, council are still getting their rent so they won't be aware of the situation at least she's not sub letting (l would complain then) and making money from it an empty house is better than neighbours. I do sympathise with your husband though, don't tell him to do it himself but if he feels it should be reported he should do it, he could mention to his friend that the house is not being lived in and the friend could tell the council himself that there is an empty property.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

The friend isn't local, I think with dh it's the principal of it. He went on a massive rant last night over it saying about how some months we struggle to pay our mortgage but she's basically got 2 homes.

I definitely agree that it's better empty than the chance of god knows who moving in and potentially causing problems for my business.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand where your husband is coming from. It must be tough for him knowing that his friends are desperate for a house, yet here is someone who has a council house, but seemingly doesn't need one. I wonder if he would have felt the same about your neighbour if he didn't have a friend in need of a house?

If he feels so strongly about it, then you might not get any peace until he does report her. He might find she's not actually doing anything wrong, so it gets him nowhere anyway, but at least it might put an end to you having to listen to all his stressing about it!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsh3103 View Post
    The house next door to us is council. Is there a minimum amount of nights a week you should stay there to keep the house?

The woman who has the house hasn't stayed there at all for over a month. She pops back on a friday with a bin bag and puts the wheelie bin out. This is the longest she's been without staying, normally comes back 1 night a week. (We share a driveway so see her car)

Dh wants to report her as 1 of his friends has been waiting almost 2 years to get a house. I'm struggling with the decision! I know he's right, theres a poor family out there that could do with this house and she's not living in it. But.... what if we get a horrible neigbour who causes problems for my business?
    Also I think she would guess it was us even though other neighbours have mentioned it!

Any thoughts?
    We have had this with our next door house for 9 years! The Tennant lives in another County with their partner! They told me they couldn't do anything unless I could give the the exact address in the next County. I have reported it and reported it over the years and at last the Tenancy Fraud Officer is on to it. He came to visit us a month ago. He had frightened the hell out of the tennant by knocking on their 'other' door so they had found out the address themselves.

I know we risk having a bad neighbour but why should the current one live in two houses most prob at our expense? They have no family and are taking up a 3 bed house with 100' garden and a family would love to have it. How do you know they will be the neighbour from Hell? That is an awful thing to think of people shame on you all.

I am shocked that some of you have suggested an empty house is better. God help you if you fall on bad times and have to have your family in a B & B because of idiots like my neighbour.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 05-06-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I agree about the unfairness, but then, is it any more 'fair' that footballers live in enormous houses just cos they can chase a ball twice a week.

Assuming the fact that she's moved in with the bf is fact and not just rumour, I suspect this may sort itself out. If the move doesn't work out, she'll move back - if it does, then why would she want to keep paying rent on an unused property?

If you're uncomfortable about it, then enquire if you can report it as a concern without having to give any personal details, so the complaint cannot be traced back to you.

As others have said, though, an empty house might be a lot better than a house full of problems. What if you ended up with Nigel Farage living next to you?
    They have EARNED their house and bought it with their earnings. Many people earn a darn sight more than me that is the way of the world and good luck to them. They are also paying a darn site more Tax than I pay. However when my Taxes are being used inappropriately then it does become my business and it does annoy me when the few Council/Housing association houses are being misused. We have one up the road where the woman has had all her children taken away from her, is high on drugs most days and supplies. As far as I am concerned she shouldn't be in a house either, she should be in a secure Hostel and the house should go to a family who would appreciate it.

Report her.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 05-06-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because it's a council house, she may pay rent out of her wages, it's up to her if she wishes to continue pay rent. If she's claiming rent then she can have between 6/12 weeks rent depending on circumstances. Only know this from past job in community supporting people. Also surely the bedroom tax would come in to force if in England so she must be paying something to have a 3 bed and only her self. Been there moving in with a new boyfriend and giving up your independence can be frightening , maybe in the past she's give house up and then relationship never worked then she was homeless. Would give it 8 weeks or asked her just mentioned that you had noticed she was never in was she giving house up ect. In a friendly neighbour way. X

16. Likes Goatgirl, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

So Dh has reported her. I completely understand he felt morally that he couldn't sit and know a council house is empty when there are needy families out there desperate for homes. I just hope we don't get any backlash from it :-/

18. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

well done your DH for having the courage of his convictions.

20. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for him and I would keep reporting it if the situation continues as ours has.

Our neighbour must be paying extra for a home with 3 bedrooms when they are single. The thing is they were offered a one bedroom flat a few years ago and wouldn't take it. I don't think they should have been given a choice, they should have been told they were being moved, it was within a mile of here and the person drives so it wasn't as if they were being asked to move way out of their area. It is about time the Council and Housing Associations could get tough after all these houses do not belong to the tenants they are just that and as their needs change they should be moved appropriately.

It is ridiculous that two people who are clearly living together have two houses at the Tax Payers expense!. If they feel they have to live that way then they should rent privately and pay the full price or buy two houses.

I don't think social housing should provide two houses for these people as a safety net in case something goes wrong!

We have now got to the stage where the Tenancy Fraud Officer is coming to take a Statement (just a tip my husband is doing it because he will get time off work to attend Court if that is needed whereas I would loose a days fees).
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 06-06-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE="rickysmiths;1365410"] It is about time the Council and Housing Associations could get tough after all these houses do not belong to the tenants they are just that and as their needs change they should be moved appropriately. /QUOTE]

I agree.
    A friend of mine has been separated from her husband for nearly 8 years. Her 2 children have now left home, and she's in a 3 bed HA property.
    The rules changed, so when her children left home she had to pay for the two rooms she no longer needs, and she couldn't afford the extra, so she wants to do a swop with one of the neighbours who desperately needs a 3 bed and she can then downsize.
    They approached the HA, they agreed they could swop, once my friends hubby signed off on the lease.
    She was under the impression he'd already signed off on the lease when he left! She got the forms, got him to sign them, and hand delivered them to the office.
    She had to do that so she could claim housing benefit at the time.
    The HA say they haven't got them on file......

Her ex husband disappeared with his new lady about 7 years ago. The kids have not seen or heard from him in that time. No one knows where he is (he fell out with his family years before), he was very solitary, had one friend she knows of, that he fell out with shortly before they split up, and he left his job at the same time.

She can't get him to sign again, the HA claim they can't remove him without his permission, she can't afford to stay but can't afford to leave either (she has rent arrears, plus would need a months deposit and a months rent in advance on a private property)
    She can't issue divorce proceedings because she hasn't got the money, and doesn't know where he is to serve him, and it's all just a mess.
    She had to declare bankruptcy last year and is constantly borrowing money from her family to pay the rent on a house she can't legally leave :-(

The cab can't help her, she needs a solicitor, she can't afford it, and there's no guarantee they'd be able to find him either
    Absolutely ridiculous, when common sense should prevail. Let her do the swop, with him on the same lease and if he ever shows his face (doubtful) looking to be rehomed, he can sign off on the joint tenancy then!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The main reason social housing is in short supply is that LAs were forced to sell off vast swathes of council houses at ridiculous knock-down prices in a massive vote-winner for the Tories. One huge electoral bribe which we're still paying for. It's certainly created a much bigger housing crisis than the number of single women who have a try-out living with their BFs for a short period of time.

What would members do if they were in the shoes of that female tenant? Presumably, surrender the keys to the council house and hope for the best. If the BF turns out to be a nice guy for a date, but h3ll to live with (and he wouldn't be the first abuser to operate like this) - what then? Move out? The LA would say she'd made herself homeless. Or should she stick around and put up with the odd beating?

Oh, and yes, footballers have "earned" everything by the economic standards of our society. But am I the only one who thinks society has its priorities wrong when chasing a ball (and somebody else's wife) is far more highly valued than caring for the elderly, saving lives or, dare I say, looking after children.

24. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Kiddleywinks;1365412]
    Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It is about time the Council and Housing Associations could get tough after all these houses do not belong to the tenants they are just that and as their needs change they should be moved appropriately. /QUOTE]

I agree.
    A friend of mine has been separated from her husband for nearly 8 years. Her 2 children have now left home, and she's in a 3 bed HA property.
    The rules changed, so when her children left home she had to pay for the two rooms she no longer needs, and she couldn't afford the extra, so she wants to do a swop with one of the neighbours who desperately needs a 3 bed and she can then downsize.
    They approached the HA, they agreed they could swop, once my friends hubby signed off on the lease.
    She was under the impression he'd already signed off on the lease when he left! She got the forms, got him to sign them, and hand delivered them to the office.
    She had to do that so she could claim housing benefit at the time.
    The HA say they haven't got them on file......

Her ex husband disappeared with his new lady about 7 years ago. The kids have not seen or heard from him in that time. No one knows where he is (he fell out with his family years before), he was very solitary, had one friend she knows of, that he fell out with shortly before they split up, and he left his job at the same time.

She can't get him to sign again, the HA claim they can't remove him without his permission, she can't afford to stay but can't afford to leave either (she has rent arrears, plus would need a months deposit and a months rent in advance on a private property)
    She can't issue divorce proceedings because she hasn't got the money, and doesn't know where he is to serve him, and it's all just a mess.
    She had to declare bankruptcy last year and is constantly borrowing money from her family to pay the rent on a house she can't legally leave :-(

The cab can't help her, she needs a solicitor, she can't afford it, and there's no guarantee they'd be able to find him either
    Absolutely ridiculous, when common sense should prevail. Let her do the swop, with him on the same lease and if he ever shows his face (doubtful) looking to be rehomed, he can sign off on the joint tenancy then!
    Shame she didn't keep copies of the papers. It is a silly situation. If a tenant has not lived at an address for a certain length of time, 1 year should be plenty and is proven not to have lived there then the tenancy should end automatically. It should also be a joint tenancy for couples.

Very sad for your friend.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    The main reason social housing is in short supply is that LAs were forced to sell off vast swathes of council houses at ridiculous knock-down prices in a massive vote-winner for the Tories. One huge electoral bribe which we're still paying for. It's certainly created a much bigger housing crisis than the number of single women who have a try-out living with their BFs for a short period of time.

What would members do if they were in the shoes of that female tenant? Presumably, surrender the keys to the council house and hope for the best. If the BF turns out to be a nice guy for a date, but h3ll to live with (and he wouldn't be the first abuser to operate like this) - what then? Move out? The LA would say she'd made herself homeless. Or should she stick around and put up with the odd beating?

Oh, and yes, footballers have "earned" everything by the economic standards of our society. But am I the only one who thinks society has its priorities wrong when chasing a ball (and somebody else's wife) is far more highly valued than caring for the elderly, saving lives or, dare I say, looking after children.
    1st paragraph I do agree with you (I live in an ex Council House didn't buy it from the tenant, who bought it but she actually didn't make a fortune out of it because she sold withing the 5yr min stay and so she had paid £35,000 when the house was valued at £75,000 so she had to pay the balance of £40,000 to the Council when she sold).

2nd Paragraph No if they want to try it out for a bit but no they should not have two houses for the extended period my neighbour has (9 years!!) that is taking the pee and as a Tax payer I shouldn't have to pay that. If I had taken that stance when I was dating who would have paid for the two houses? At a certain point I had to take the plunge so to speak. Having said that dh moved into my flat when we got married and whenever we had a tiff I would remind him that I could kick him out!! The house we own now is in joint names so not so easy to give him the push.

3rd paragraph. I agree I think footballers earn a stupid obscene amount of money and only the Football Fans can change that by not buying season tickets and not going to matches but that will never happen. The only redeeming thing is that while they earn it these footballers pay huge Tax Bills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast