The children haven't made those bonnets!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The children haven't made those bonnets!

Going to my DDs Easter bonnet parade today, but having seen the bonnets on show I can say the children have had very little input! It makes me a little mad that the parade is more about how creative a child's parents are! Rant over :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our local school stopped doing it a few years back - some parents were getting them professionally made!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I really hate that! There used to be a Christmas decoration competition in our old school and I always (as the rules said!) tried to let the girls do most of it themselves., but their creations always ended up looking amateur because the others were obviously done by the parents.; they were far beyond the abilities of primary school children., and guess who won?! Huh!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree and also shocked by the comments on Facebook the night before with some parent saying THEY were still making it at gone midnight etc! My ds hates craft so I gave him a sheet of Easter stickers, he stuck them on a bucket and wore that on his head!

5. Likes AliceK, gef918, Maza, Roseolivia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Our local school stopped doing it a few years back - some parents were getting them professionally made!!!!!

You are kidding me!!

Post Thanks / Like

Takes away the joining in and excitement

It's cheating !!!

Not good

Angel xx

8. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Totally agree and also shocked by the comments on Facebook the night before with some parent saying THEY were still making it at gone midnight etc! My ds hates craft so I gave him a sheet of Easter stickers, he stuck them on a bucket and wore that on his head!
    I love that!

Our old school had an easter bonnet comp ... ds knitted a yellow beanie hat ( with a little help ) but he did most of it ... As evidenced by the holes :-) and made a pom pom chicks head for the top. But the hats I saw and heard about at least 60% had been made by the parents.
    Our current school has assorted comps over the year but they can tell the adult entries and they don't get placed. Although they have started having an adult comp as well!!!

10. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started!!! Years ago our school stopped doing Easter bonnet competitions because of the same reasons but now we have 'decorate an egg' competition and guess what - the parents make most of them! I said to my daughter ( who now has her own children at the school) what everyone should do is if the adult efforts win - COMPLAIN to the PTA. I'm all for helping the little ones or who are just not creative but come on parents, how do you think when the children who have made their own never win and also feel as though their's is not good enough? My 7 year old granddaughter has just gone off to school with her creation which is good for a 7 year old and quite creative but she won't win. Of course me and her mum and dad have praised her efforts big time and hopefully she won't see all the adult made creations!! Grrrr!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I will hold my hand up & admit to being completely competitive when it comes to school competitions

I have never actually made the entries, but I do tend to come up with the ideas. And of course, having a childminder as a mum means my children always had access to the biggest range of craft resources ever. Some kids struggle to find paper and a pencil at home, but mine have free access to sequins, glue, glitter, ribbons, paper & card in every colour imaginable - you name it, we've probably got it.

Their entries always look as if they have been made by the child (because they have), but the ideas behind them are pretty inspired, even if I do say so myself

DD won a competition by using real twigs to create a bonfire picture and DS won an easter egg competition in Sainsburys by using real crushed egg shells to decorate his egg picture. And they have won endless colouring competitions by adding glitter & sequins - there's a hint for you, no matter how well a picture is coloured, glitter & sequins always make it stand out a bit more

It's not just that I am competitive, I like to make things. When my older children had to make giant sweets for an art project at senior school, they really weren't interested, so I made them. I have to say, they were fantastic. So good in fact that they went on display in the school hall

13. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I love that!

Our old school had an easter bonnet comp ... ds knitted a yellow beanie hat ( with a little help ) but he did most of it ... As evidenced by the holes :-) and made a pom pom chicks head for the top. But the hats I saw and heard about at least 60% had been made by the parents.
    Our current school has assorted comps over the year but they can tell the adult entries and they don't get placed. Although they have started having an adult comp as well!!!
    thats really funny!!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    OK, I will hold my hand up & admit to being completely competitive when it comes to school competitions

I have never actually made the entries, but I do tend to come up with the ideas. And of course, having a childminder as a mum means my children always had access to the biggest range of craft resources ever. Some kids struggle to find paper and a pencil at home, but mine have free access to sequins, glue, glitter, ribbons, paper & card in every colour imaginable - you name it, we've probably got it.

Their entries always look as if they have been made by the child (because they have), but the ideas behind them are pretty inspired, even if I do say so myself

DD won a competition by using real twigs to create a bonfire picture and DS won an easter egg competition in Sainsburys by using real crushed egg shells to decorate his egg picture. And they have won endless colouring competitions by adding glitter & sequins - there's a hint for you, no matter how well a picture is coloured, glitter & sequins always make it stand out a bit more

It's not just that I am competitive, I like to make things. When my older children had to make giant sweets for an art project at senior school, they really weren't interested, so I made them. I have to say, they were fantastic. So good in fact that they went on display in the school hall
    My dd got told off once for doing too much on her pictures for homework. She would add glitter lolly pop sticks sequins etc... she was only about 7 and had raided the craft box. She was so proud of it and teacher wrote a comment lovely X but not so much detail needed. Must admit I was cross
    Tess1981

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    You are kidding me!!
    Nope - very competitive here . Local family centre had a competition for the children to design a new logo - some of the 2 year olds logos were amazing

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

It truly bugs me that parents have so much involvement with these things and also their homework!
    I have seen so many fabulous creations at our school, most of which have clearly been done with more than a helping hand from an adult. My DD is encouraged to do her own work using her own skills, we have a design an egg competition, I am very proud of her creation this year (with just the tiniest bit of help when she didn't have enough hands) and think she has done an egg-cellent job but I will be very surprised if she wins because it's always the adult ones that win (which surprises me because it is blatantly obvious and surely the teachers can see through it?!)

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Dd's creation for the egg competition, with her own fair hands!
    Attached Images Attached Images

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    Dd's creation for the egg competition, with her own fair hands!
    very good.

well done your dd xx

Post Thanks / Like

Ah that's Brill!! Well done to your dd

Post Thanks / Like

I do like looking for inspiration and trying to create something different / fun but I find things I know my DD can get involved in and do the majority of it herself. Anyway the results are in, parents win arghhh!!

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong in helping children with ideas but hands off mums and dads!

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My granddaughter won a school competition as the person who had been invited to judge said it was obvious she had lots of fun making it. All her own work and ideas-my daughter said hers was the work of a five year old not an adult. Such a shame the rest of the kids didn't get to have fun too

Post Thanks / Like

Good Judge :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast