Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MULTICULTURAL RESOURCES

Morning all. Im trying to get myself more multicultural resources but they are so expensive! I was just wondering what you all use/have in your setting to give me some ideas. Xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit of advice I got from Mrs Ofsted on my inspection, mingle the multi cultural items in with your 'usual' toys
    The example she gave me was of a cm bring out her 'multi cultural box' when she was inspecting, complete with African drums, a black baby doll and Chinese dressing up clothes.
    Her question to minder was why are these separate? Why isn't the doll in with the box of other dolls, why are the Chinese robes in the home corner with the others
    I'm sure you wouldn't do that anyway but when she said it to me I thought that sounds like something I'd probably do, imagining OFSTED would want to see them and just putting them all together but her advice was to mix them in with everything so the children see no difference in banging on bongos or shaking Spanish maracas!
    We have Chinese chopsticks and a wok in the kitchen area, saris and robes in the home corner, different skin tone paint and crayons, books from different countries and multicultural music CDs in our box which are great to dance to, especially the Indian music one, they go wild to that lol.
    Amazon is really good for things like that, or try local car boots to pick things up cheaply xx
    Kelly xx

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

That a fab reply thanks. I have an african dolly in with all the other dolls and a box of musical instruments which include lots from different countries, posters on the wall etc but love the idea of a wok in the home corner. Thanks again xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As well as the above, i have lots of multicultural ( and inclusive) books. There is a thread on here about books.

I have lots of little people/happyland with multicultural people.

and over the years I have picked up a variety of puzzles with multicultural images.

And at training on sat was given some multicultural family puppets :0)

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought some fab resources for the kitchen from ebay - chinese bowls, plates, and indian balti metal bowls. As they are all only about 8cm the fit perfectly even though they are meant for adults. Here is some links:

CHINESE MELAMINE 4.5" DIAMETER RICE BOWL | eBay
    Stainless Steel Balti Bowl Dishes,Indian Curry | eBay

I also have got 2 Chinese drums in my music box
    Chinese New Year Plastic Hand Drum, Rattle, Celebration Traditional Toy Rattle | eBay

I have a selection of upbeat music from around the world which i have gathered from youtube and I play this music mixed in with nursery rhymes when it is sing time.

In the book corner I have all sorts of books from charity shops that depict the world. I have also bought second hand on amazon a range of books entitled "All kinds of....." as there is some great books in the collection to help talk about different religions, homes, body types, feelings, skin, people

I have magnetic photo frames from Boots sale and i have put in pictures of 8 children from around the world and they are on my radiator to be moved by the children as they wish. These kind of things
    3 x LARGE FRIDGE

I am in the process of making some menus for my toy kitchen which has pictures and names of dishes from around the world.

I have lots of electronic toys such as globes, Ipad apps etc which have elements of different cultures from saying hello, to the animals of of different country, to the instruments found in each country.

I also make whatever i can. I found a great presentation on CAFOD about the differences between countries, and printed out the powerpoint presentation called Introducing Picture my World. Instead of A4 size i put 4 slides per page when i prnted and then when i cut them out they fitted into a cheap photo album i have picked up.
    Picture my World / Primary schools / Education / Home - CAFOD

6. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is also a book that you can purchase on CAFOD called A Day with Musa. However if you dont wish to purchase there is a teacher download called Information sheet on A Day with Musfa, which has each of the pictures from the book and little bit of information about them, which can be printed and put into a folder with clear plastic wallets and it is then a book
    Big book / Primary schools / Education / Home - CAFOD

8. Likes loocyloo, lilac_dragon liked this post