How do you decorate your Christmas table?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you decorate your Christmas table?

I want to get my Christmas table just right this year - you know, like the ones you see in magazines...
    I have bought some 'charger plates'. My question is, do you move these before you eat or do you just keep them under your dinner plate? Silly question, I know.

Do you use fabric napkins or paper ones? What do you have in the centre of your table? Do you have a table runner? Just after some ideas! x

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo I love Christmas tables

I use gold coloured charger plates, keep them under the plate you're eating from for the whole meal.

As for napkins, it's got to be real fabric ones for me. I have some gorgeous red ones that only make an appearance on high days and holidays.

I'd love to go to town with the table and have things in the middle but there is never any room! Usually we're 8 for Christmas lunch and even with the table extended there is only enough room for all the groaning serving dishes! I have been looking at getting a runner, that way I can add a bit of umph but without losing valuable plate space...
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about real napkins but hubby has (rightly so) capped our budget and so it might have to be paper ones again.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i got some lovely ones from Roseby's - the bedding /curtain shop - they often have good sales on before xmas. I got some fabric napkins in red and black that say merry xmas (bad decision actually as can't use them for posh dinners rest of the year ) also got some tartan berry/greenery napkin rings for like 50p each reduced from about £3 each and a red table cloth. I have got black marble type place mats so it's a bit of a black and red theme but looks nice. I have a silver runner too but never had charger plates though I'd love some
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, Juggler, I'll check out Roseby's, thanks. x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Ooooh, Juggler, I'll check out Roseby's, thanks. x
    or is it roseberrys - lol - i am hopeless but you know the ones I mean the little independent bedding/curtain shops on the high street xx

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Juggler, just googled it and it said they have gone into administration and that the last remaining stores have now been closed down! Hubby will be pleased, looks like we're destined to have paper napkins. If I left it to him he'd probably just put a square of kitchen roll on everyone's plate! Having said that, I have got some nice festive kitchen roll this year...

11. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Juggler, just googled it and it said they have gone into administration and that the last remaining stores have now been closed down! Hubby will be pleased, looks like we're destined to have paper napkins. If I left it to him he'd probably just put a square of kitchen roll on everyone's plate! Having said that, I have got some nice festive kitchen roll this year...
    lol! lesson learned - don't take advice from me - I'm sure ours was open last weekend - selling off their final stock no doubt. Honey pop into Asda, they will have some nice reasonably priced stuff I'm sure. Maybe not the charger plates but some napkins and a runner will dress up a table cloth you already have?

You could just get some holly or xmas type twigs (silver/gold) to dress up the place settings. Or just real twigs sprayed silver tied with some nice ribbon and place them around the table??

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wilkinsons had some nice stuff.

I usually put santa salt and pepper out, crackers and whichever paper napkins the children have chosen. I used to have a centre piece of flowers/candle etc but it always got in the way! Oh and I do have a nice Holly tablecloth.

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I made these, saved some glass jars, and I plan to put tea lights in. I have got a red linen table cloth from wilkinsons, less than £5! I also made my own candy canes, with pipe cleaners and red and white beads! I plan to sprinkle some sequins around aswell haha x
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All inspired from Pinterest x
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Likes Maza, Chimps Childminding liked this post
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a different colour scheme every 2-3 years.
    This year it's cream, gold & chocolate brown.
    I have cream linen table cloth & napkins, chocolate brown table runner, gold napkin rings, gold chargers, white china with gold trim.
    My crackers are cream & chocolate brown.
    My table centre piece is a glittery cream candle with two cream/pearl coloured china stags each side.
    On my chairs I have cream organza bow sashes.
    Toothfairy

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have plates that come out once a year...silly really ...and usually use a paper tablecloth and paper napkins. Always looks fab, sometimes a bit mix n match, havent spare money to spend too much on it...have a few sprinkly beads n things too

23. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Glitter Guest

Last year I bought a red sheet from Asda and cut it up to make a table cloth and napkins. Then I embroidered a holly leaf design on each one (can you tell I was not child minding then and had lots of spare time!).

Then I put a piece of red organza with gold stars on over the top. In the centre of the table I had some candles as there wasn't much room with all the food.

It looked lovely and was very cheap.

25. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glitter, with a name like yours I wouldn't expect anything other than lovely!

27. Likes N/A liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    I have a different colour scheme every 2-3 years.
    This year it's cream, gold & chocolate brown.
    I have cream linen table cloth & napkins, chocolate brown table runner, gold napkin rings, gold chargers, white china with gold trim.
    My crackers are cream & chocolate brown.
    My table centre piece is a glittery cream candle with two cream/pearl coloured china stags each side.
    On my chairs I have cream organza bow sashes.
    oooh that's really posh Toothfairy! wish I was coming there x

29. Likes Toothfairy, Maza liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

we have just had a Christmas dinner today for my dd who got married this year so isn't coming to xmas dinner we had her in laws over too, it was lovely, our table had the same as xmas day, material napkins with chrystal rings, contrasting to the table cloth and a table runner and crackers.

It was a lovely afternoon, now looking forward to doing all over again on xmas day
    Cath

31. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    we have just had a Christmas dinner today for my dd who got married this year so isn't coming to xmas dinner we had her in laws over too, it was lovely, our table had the same as xmas day, material napkins with chrystal rings, contrasting to the table cloth and a table runner and crackers.

It was a lovely afternoon, now looking forward to doing all over again on xmas day
    You should put up a photo! Sounds gorgeous. Is it the first time your DD isn't coming to yours? x

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    I made these, saved some glass jars, and I plan to put tea lights in. I have got a red linen table cloth from wilkinsons, less than £5! I also made my own candy canes, with pipe cleaners and red and white beads! I plan to sprinkle some sequins around aswell haha x
    Love your candy canes.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Love your candy canes.
    They are awesome aren't they? I was just about to set some up for tomorrow but out of two boxes of beads, the only colours I don't have are rd, white and green. Typical!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast