Concerns of a childs development
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Concerns of a childs development

I there I have a 1 year old who began with me a month ago, as soon as she started I noticed that she didn't use her right arm, at all!!!!!!
    Had a chat with mum who said she had spoken to health visitors and had said she was just being lazy and not using it, now she can't walk she does a very strange bum shuffle, she doesn't tend to pull herself up much as she doesn't have a lot of strength in her right arm. She won't eat with it and it's very stiff to move, it's sits in a bent position close to her body, she can use it at times but her movements are very stiff.
    Now researching it I'm finding things coming up at 'cerebral palsy' I encourage her soooo much to use her arm and she just won't do it, any suggestions of experiences?
    Thank you x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimskiddies View Post
    I there I have a 1 year old who began with me a month ago, as soon as she started I noticed that she didn't use her right arm, at all!!!!!!
    Had a chat with mum who said she had spoken to health visitors and had said she was just being lazy and not using it, now she can't walk she does a very strange bum shuffle, she doesn't tend to pull herself up much as she doesn't have a lot of strength in her right arm. She won't eat with it and it's very stiff to move, it's sits in a bent position close to her body, she can use it at times but her movements are very stiff.
    Now researching it I'm finding things coming up at 'cerebral palsy' I encourage her soooo much to use her arm and she just won't do it, any suggestions of experiences?
    Thank you x
    No expert , so no idea what your really dealing with but remember years ago an article about a family dealing with a young child who had had a stroke and they were trying to encourage use of right side of her body .
    Well they found giving the child huge sheets of newspaper or wrapping paper worked well as the child loved the noise and feeling of shaking and crunching the paper .
    It must be worrying for you and the mum and it's a little surprising health visitors aren't concerned . Wishing you all the best .

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

You and mum are right to be concerned and I can't believe the health professionals are ignoring this! I looked after a little girl 10 years ago who had a condition (can't remember the name of it now) where the brain would not send the right signals to the left side of the body. She too was 1 when I took her on and her left arm was just as you are describing. She also had a slightly droopy left eye and her left leg was weaker than the right. I had to take her to physio once a week (mum worked too far away and it was only at the bottom of my road) to strengthen her left side. I would encourage your lo to do things with that arm and a few things I did was get toys that you need two hands for e.g hungry hippos and only 2 of you play and at her age maybe just bang the keys down with both hands. When my lo was 2'ish I took her into the garden when I pegged the washing out and asked her for the pegs making sure I always need two, one in each hand, and when she was older made her walk to the side of the buggy where she had to hold on with her left hand. Sometimes it was very hard as I had to watch her struggle as she would literally watch her hand and arm as she was willing it to go to where she wanted it but it did improve in time. She was under the care of the doctors who monitored the situation but the only way it would get better was by using it. She is never going to have full use but so much better than how it started and now the family had emigrated I have lost touch. Tell mum to keep insisting that her daughter needs to be assessed and get a second opinion if need be.