Do you have another job/busines?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of you have another job or business along side minding? I'd love to have a hobby that could also make me money, or even another job as I only have one mindee 3 days a week at the moment.

What do you all do? I'm not very crafty etc but would love to be able to make sweet trees or jewellery or something similar. But also would like to get into something that has the potential to grow and possibly become my main work.

I'd also love to have something that you could hire out (say something for a wedding) or open my own shop but have no idea what I would like to do! I have money to invest but just not sure?!
    Last edited by sprinkles; 13-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG no no no - I would have to do it between 11pm and 7am and I really need my beauty sleep
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work on a Sunday as a receptionist in a hair salon

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past, I worked for Tesco part-time and also did cleaning. In recent years I have made 10 Christmas cakes (iced) and sold half of them to finance the other half as gifts to family

July 13
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooooo I would love to have a hobby and do love crafts but would need a step to step guide at first , wish I could do it off the top of my head. I'm a trained beauty therapist and still currently work weekends in a spa as my mindees are only holidays, want to get more mindees and make it my full time job. I know I'm lucky to have a full back but really want the change after 10yrs . Maybe search whats in your area? doing different crafty things works well at the mo people love different.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chellewilks View Post
    Oooooo I would love to have a hobby and do love crafts but would need a step to step guide at first , wish I could do it off the top of my head. I'm a trained beauty therapist and still currently work weekends in a spa as my mindees are only holidays, want to get more mindees and make it my full time job. I know I'm lucky to have a full back but really want the change after 10yrs . Maybe search whats in your area? doing different crafty things works well at the mo people love different.
    I would need step by step too! I love crafts etc but I'm really not creative at all - I struggle with arts and crafts ideas for the kids lol!

I'd love to have a shop, but no idea what kind of shop!!

I may look into jewellery making though!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    In the past, I worked for Tesco part-time and also did cleaning. In recent years I have made 10 Christmas cakes (iced) and sold half of them to finance the other half as gifts to family
    Ooh cake making is something I'd love to be able to do too! There's already lots of people round here doing that though.

I bore easy - I usually leave jobs within a year - and just feel I haven't found my vocation! Sounds awful because so many people never get to do a job they love but I feel life is too short to be unhappy in work!!

I could go back to college but I've already had a student loan for my last college course so doubt I'd get more funding.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I run a small craft business from home, making button pictures, 3D paper craft pictures, wooden plaques, scrabble tile pictures etc
    I have a facebook page with nearly 300 followers, I also advertise on local facebook pages.
    It's early days yet but I'm getting about 12 - 15 orders a week
    Toothfairy

9. Likes chriss, dawntom liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    Yes, I run a small craft business from home, making button pictures, 3D paper craft pictures, wooden plaques, scrabble tile pictures etc
    I have a facebook page with nearly 300 followers, I also advertise on local facebook pages.
    Wow, that's fab I'd love to have something else I can do from home but no idea what

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fb

Oooh whats your fb page called I love crafty things

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Oooh whats your fb page called I love crafty things
    I don't think I'm allowed to advertise but if you PM me I will send you the link
    Toothfairy

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'm allowed to advertise but if you PM me I will send you the link
    Can you pm me too please as love those sort of pictures (big NOTH fan just can't afford most their stuff lol)

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this is the same page I ordered my button picture off in June !!!

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1979 View Post
    I wonder if this is the same page I ordered my button picture off in June !!!
    It may have been, all my pictures are Hand made with love
    Toothfairy

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy crafts and have made cards and sold them for charity but I wouldn't make much from it at all. I make jewellery but get attached to it so rubbish at being able to give it away. I love needlework, knitting and crochet etc but would hate for it to become a chore - plus I'm really slow. Would love to work in a wee craft shop but wouldn't earn enough!! I do however have a wee second job and teach piano 2 nights a week. That money gets put aside for family outings - usually the theatre or cinema, craft stuff when I don't want to admit to dh just how much I spend in hobbycraft! And occasional clothes shopping for me!! I originally trained as a musician but decided I didn't want to lose my love for music by being a secondary teacher so chose a different path instead - this way I can do as much or as little as I want.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I paint child and baby portraits and make name plaques (I work 33 hrs as a CM). I sell on the Folksy website. It's nice to have a little hobby. PM me and I'll send you a link to browse my website it might give you a few ideas.

18. Likes Toothfairy liked this post