Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tin opener...

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tin opener...

Grrr....my flippin tin opener has just busted again...third one this year so far

So fed up of buying them and they only last a few months at best...any suggestions?

I've been looking at this one...Buy Culinare One Touch Can Opener at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen utensils.
    But worried I'll buy it and it'll break! I seem to jinx any tin openers!!
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I kept breaking them too till I found the Jamie Oliver one - its fab and not much to break. It just has 1 lever and I needed a crash course in how to use it - dh still hasn't mastered it! - but it has lasted longer than any other and leaves no sharp edges so you can use the tins with the kids. Its available from Jamie at Home reps if you know one.

3. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im also interested in getting a tin opener that doesnt break. Ive had 5 so far this year. I had to go round to nextdoor one morning as I was opening some tuna for dd school lunch and the handle fell off.

I started off buying a reasonably priced one which broke after 4 weeks, so then spent £10 on a decent one which lasted about 3months. so since then Ive bought the cheap ones at £1ish from wilko's. So I can go through 10 of them before they match the price of the more expensive one.

Ive had this one. Rubbish
    Buy Stainless Steel Can Opener at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen utensils.

and this one...rubbish too
    Buy Culinare MagiCan Can Opener at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen utensils.
    Last edited by JCrakers; 21-08-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I am from we use a tin opener made out of one piece of metal. Nothing to break. I have had mine for 15 years! Google images and you will see some. You should be able to find one somewhere on the net.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ikea one (another thing for the ikea list!) and it seems quite strong

7. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Swedish Geniune Army Military Tin / Can Opener - MilitaryMart.co.uk ( HoodsUK ) - (Powered by CubeCart)
    Tin Opener x 2 from Great4Camping
    Can Opener - Illums Bolighus International - this is the one I have, I think the camping ones are a little smaller.
    They take a little practice to begin with, but once mastered it takes no longer then the more mechanical ones.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably jinx mine now - but mine is Pampered Chef (sounds similar to Jamie one mentioned above), doesn't leave any sharp edges - it somehow sorts of unglues the lid - have had mine 8+ years probably cost about £16 back then, so not sure how much they are now. My husband and daughter are left handed and they manage to use it ok too.

10. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about an electric one?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol...I had an electric one and broke that too
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Im also interested in getting a tin opener that doesnt break. Ive had 5 so far this year. I had to go round to nextdoor one morning as I was opening some tuna for dd school lunch and the handle fell off.

I started off buying a reasonably priced one which broke after 4 weeks, so then spent £10 on a decent one which lasted about 3months. so since then Ive bought the cheap ones at £1ish from wilko's. So I can go through 10 of them before they match the price of the more expensive one.

Ive had this one. Rubbish
    Buy Stainless Steel Can Opener at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen utensils.

and this one...rubbish too
    Buy Culinare MagiCan Can Opener at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen utensils.

I've got this one. Absolute rubbish. It now goes round and round the tins about 20 times before the lid eventually comes off

xxx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Semtex ?????